PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting attacked for Supporting Ron Paul?

InterestedParticipant
10-23-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm curious if anyone is getting attacked, online or otherwise, since the Ron Paul campaign started and you announced your support of him as a candidate?

I'm wondering how far this campaign against Paul actually goes. We can all clearly see that the MSM has either put Paul on ignore, or attempts to frame him as a tin-foil hatter or out-of-step libertarian. But I'd like to know if anyone has heard of or experienced attacks over and above the typical anti-Paul anti-spam comments I see on Digg.

There is a lot of online support for Paul, and a lot of individuals doing great things. Are any of these individual supporters seeing odd and negative incidents online.....anyone getting their computer or server hacked who previously had no issues before?

Cindy
10-23-2007, 10:23 AM
He's not completely ignored by the media and the 'tin foil hat" stuff is fading fast.

Where Paul was first ridiculed at a Political forum I go too, he is now being generally accepted as a serious contender. More people are coiming out to support him vocally as well there. He has always been winning the forum member polls there however.

Paul is easy to support publically because of his credibility. It's been an overall positive experience for me. I wear Ron Paul shirts out in public and it's been a breeze.

CAKochenash
10-23-2007, 10:24 AM
I am always being attacked. It either with "Oh he can't win because of lack of support..." That argument can easily be shot down...

-or-

Oh he is not a republican...

-or-

He isn't winning anything so he won't win the election

All of these arguments are easily defeated.

I am not afraid of being attacked for supporting Ron. His message and record are on my side...They are powerful tools.

nullvalu
10-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Yes, it seems like the attacks are on the rise, BUT the praises are on the rise too.. It's full swing election season, we weren't used to it a few months ago because less people were paying attention to politics.. people are starting to pay attention now and forming their own opinions.. sheeple are paying attention and forming opinions based on what they hear..

we need to combat ignorance but above all keep your cool. a raving lunatic will never win anyone over, and that's what we should be doing - not engaging in online flame wars.

DrNoZone
10-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Yes, and unfortunately all of it has come from people on these forums! Not because I support him, but I get attacked about how much of a supporter I really am, and about the ways I choose to support (or not) him. It's sad, really.

nullvalu
10-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Yes, and unfortunately all of it has come from people on these forums! Not because I support him, but I get attacked about how much of a supporter I really am, and about the ways I choose to support (or not) him. It's sad, really.

Yeah I've experienced the same shit. My sister-in-law says she hates Ron Paul because I talk about him too much ;) And my brother-in-law says he hates Ron Paul because he beleives in the separation of Church & State.. I'm like.. WTF so do I and so does Ron Paul and go on to cite examples.. Yet sometimes its like I'm talking to a wall and people will just say anything so you leave them alone and they can remain a sheeple. :p

American
10-23-2007, 10:30 AM
This is the product of a dumbed down educational system. People are scared out of there whits and its usually the people of faith that are scared. I havent figured out how that works but it seems completely contradictory. Faith = Fear?

no more then usual, but his past noting record is undeniable and I also use the intelligence reports about terrorism, the ones paid for by the tax payer not the biased opinions from media idiots.

damijin
10-23-2007, 10:30 AM
I think the OP is asking about attacks on you as a supporter, not on Ron as a candidate.

I have not heard of any hacked PCs, nor have I heard any convincing evidence of real world attacks. One guy got hit by a drunk driver while putting up Ron Paul posters late at night, but it was most likely just your run-of-the-mill accident.

I do not believe there to be any sort of effort by any groups to harass or otherwise harm supporters of the Paul campaign. Even if there was, I'm sure most of us are not afraid. I'd chant his name from Gitmo if I had to :-P

But that's the kind of talk that makes us seem crazy, so for now we'll just leave it at this: No one is out to get us :)

A Ron Paul Rebel
10-23-2007, 10:32 AM
I curious, who are you, where are you and why do you ask?????????

Cindy
10-23-2007, 10:34 AM
I think the poster was reffering to malicious attack, like having your computer hacked, car keyed if you have bumper stickers, signs stolen from front yard, stuff thrown at you during a sign waving.

Being verbally ridiculed and coming across strong differing opinions is a part of campaigning for ANYONE!

Adam Smith
Most of what I often get is that he isn't a conservative and that he should be running as a libertarian, or alternatively, that I must be a conspiracy theorist who believes that 9/11 was an inside job.

Less of the latter lately. More of the former. Typically the attacks come from right-wing websites where I have always posted comments before I was an RP supporter, but I have gotten the responses as well from the Illinois Republican Assembly, the New Hampshire Union Leader, and most recently from Motley Fool CAPS, a financial website where I post blog entries and comments to others' blogs.

Brinck Slattery
This is the product of a dumbed down educational system. People are scared out of there whits and its usually the people of faith that are scared. I havent figured out how that works but it seems completely contradictory. Faith = Fear?

no more then usual, but his past noting record is undeniable and I also use the intelligence reports about terrorism, the ones paid for by the tax payer not the biased opinions from media idiots.

I think it's perfect irony to diss the educational system and then misspell a word in the next sentence. Har har har.

But seriously, I've gotten basically jumped whenever I mention that I'm a Ron Paul supporter. I either get the immediate "WHY DO YOU WANT POOR PEOPLE TO DIE!!!" or the more drawn-out "have you been to a mental health professional lately?" tack. But whatever, as long as you don't lose your cool, you too can prove that Ron Paul supporters aren't insane.

ladyliberty
10-23-2007, 10:36 AM
When my landlady found out that I was supporting Ron Paul - SHE RAISED MY RENT!!!! Turns out she is a Hellary Henchman - and a New Yorker to boot!

So I did what any other red-blooded freedom loving American would do - I moved! :D

American
10-23-2007, 10:39 AM
I think it's perfect irony to diss the educational system and then misspell a word in the next sentence. Har har har.

See, I'm a victim, maybe I should file for SDI. Vote for Osama in 08!!:eek:

nullvalu
10-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Being verbally ridiculed and coming across strong differing opinions is a part of campaigning for ANYONE!

No kidding.. This isn't going to be easy and we have to anticipate people disagreeing with us.. If it were meant to be easy, then we wouldn't have elections - we'd just have a monarchy. Put on another layer of skin people, cuz the battle is really just beginning.

Cindy
10-23-2007, 10:50 AM
No kidding.. This isn't going to be easy and we have to anticipate people disagreeing with us.. If it were meant to be easy, then we wouldn't have elections - we'd just have a monarchy. Put on another layer of skin people, cuz the battle is really just beginning.

I've put Hillary, Obama, Mitt and Rudy supporters through the wringer verbally. It's a part of the game.

When it comes down to attacks causing harm to physical property, that's out of line and I think that is what is being asked of us here.

So far, I think the rent being raised is the only qualifyer.

DaronWestbrooke
10-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Does having accounts on Move On, Democratic Underground, Patriot Post and Free Republican deleted count? At least with all of these, I have a lot of accounts.

American
10-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Honestly when I talk to anyone in person I open the door give them the Ron Paul DVD and its works really well with everyone. When I talk to anyone online everything usually is centered around the War or Pro choice issues. I have had good luck with the pro choice issue not being in federal hands but the pro war people are just really frightened out of the minds, I've even been called a terrorist. Somewhat amusing.....=\

Original_Intent
10-23-2007, 11:03 AM
I was laughed at at work quite a bit early in the summer and last spring.

Now a good number of the laughers are at my desk a few times a week having serious conversations, 1 is a strong RP supporter, and I have several who favor Ron Paul but are still testing the waters. And absolutely no one laughs about him any more.

Brinck Slattery
10-23-2007, 11:05 AM
I think there are a lot more combative, single-issue people on the web than in real life. Most people don't give half a shit about politics.

InterestedParticipant
10-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Does having accounts on Move On, Democratic Underground, Patriot Post and Free Republican deleted count? At least with all of these, I have a lot of accounts.
Daron, now that's very interesting.

Do like you believe you no longer fit into any of the "predefined" groups out there?

If so, why do you think that is?

saku39
10-23-2007, 11:06 AM
99% of the time, no. I've never been attacked for supporting Ron Paul. The only time there's ever any attacks is when I'm online.

You go up to people on the street, they won't get in your face unless you try to debate them. Then they really don't want to hear it-- I've only tried to debate somebody once and it was a mistake. I never debate anybody on the street because people don't like being told they're wrong. It's better if you give them information and they figure it out for themselves. However, there was this one guy goaded me into an argument.

He was an active duty marine that about had a heart attack when I said Ron Paul was anti-war. (I've talked to active military people and they seem to be split on that issue.) He said he had been over there and started saying the usual stuff about how we must save the world, we're the only ones that can do it, etc. He was gone. Completely subsumed by his orders. This is the kind of guy that would never question his orders no matter how illegal or immoral.

In his mind, no patriotic american would ever question the war. To do that would be treason. I tried to explain about 70% of the people want out, about Ron Paul's military donations and that one guy in our group had been over in Iraq and Kuwait, and he was one of many against the war. He didn't want to hear it. He walked off pissed off and that was it.

I was disappointed to get into an argument with somebody, but I knew that talking to people and handing out flyers wouldn't always go smoothly. And it's no big deal, nobody but his commanding officer would have conviced him anyway, he was brainwashed.

allyinoh
10-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm curious if anyone is getting attacked, online or otherwise, since the Ron Paul campaign started and you announced your support of him as a candidate?

I'm wondering how far this campaign against Paul actually goes. We can all clearly see that the MSM has either put Paul on ignore, or attempts to frame him as a tin-foil hatter or out-of-step libertarian. But I'd like to know if anyone has heard of or experienced attacks over and above the typical anti-Paul anti-spam comments I see on Digg.

There is a lot of online support for Paul, and a lot of individuals doing great things. Are any of these individual supporters seeing odd and negative incidents online.....anyone getting their computer or server hacked who previously had no issues before?

I have been attacked a lot since I have told people that I support him. And the funny thing is that the attacks, personal and otherwise, have been from "conservatives." They are actually the worst. They attack Ron Paul and his supporters more than Hilary or Obama.

I have never went on a site where there were liberals who attacked me. I actually find that atleast online sites, liberals are more tolerable.

constituent
10-23-2007, 11:17 AM
I think there are a lot more combative, single-issue people on the web than in real life. Most people don't give half a shit about politics.

come on now... i have a high standard of expectation for your posts. when i see a gem of wisdom like that, straight out of Poor Richard's Almanack, I expect to see it attributed.

:D ;)

DaronWestbrooke
10-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Daron, now that's very interesting.

Do like you believe you no longer fit into any of the "predefined" groups out there?

If so, why do you think that is?

I am against any establishment label, and I am finding that my old Democrat label is really just another pawn of the big machine just as the Republicans are.

remaxjon
10-23-2007, 11:33 AM
I hear

1. He is not a republican he is a libertarian he shouldn't be running as an R

2. He is too extreme which means my views are now extreme. This was laughable just a few years ago and my views havn't changed

3. He has no shot or everyones favorite I have as good a shot as Ron Paul does

4. He is nuts

5. He is old

6. He hasn't done anything in Congress

I do however love the debate and when your informed its easy to win almost any debate with those who are not.

micahnelson
10-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I hear

2. He is too extreme which means my views are now extreme. This was laughable just a few years ago and my views havn't changed

4. He is nuts

5. He is old

I do however love the debate and when your informed its easy to win almost any debate with those who are not.

Faith
1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance:

Your love of number lists has been:
1) Noted
2) Recorded

slantedview
10-23-2007, 11:37 AM
The only real resistance I've received for my support of Dr. Paul is from my wife's grandparents, who are HARDCORE neocons, and Huckabee/Guiliani supporters. They are the type that basically believes whatever Fox News tells them ("they hate us because of our freedom", etc)... so... what are you gonna do.

TruckinMike
10-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Important:

Using leftist phrases like "anti-war" or "RP believes in the separation of church and state" . Those phrases are whats making the Republican masses think that RP is a liberal.

RP doesnt believe in the separation of church and state--- its not in the Constitution. But he does believe that STATES have a right to have or NOT to have religious "moments" in schools/government buildings. He believes that should be up to the folks at the local level. MAke sure you get that point right!! otherwise the Christian vote will never come our way.

SO....

NEVER use any term or phrase that the libs use to describe a situation or position. Always make sure it sounds like a conservative voter saying it.

instead of anti-war... say he beleives in the words of our founders like George washington. They held a Non-interventionist position....which is ...alli with none, trade with all! --- See.... doesn't that sound more like something a conservative would say???

This is very IMPORTANT!!!! A judge once told me.. if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then its a duck!---- However the judge was wrong legally, but that doesn't matter, I still had to pay the fine...he thought it was a duck. Regardless of the truth.

Lets do our best to NOT look, walk and quack like a duck! OK?? Get it???

Truckinmike

note: I just now made a new thread entitled "Do you quack like a duck?"

Mandrik
10-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I haven't been attacked...yet. The town I'm in pretty much has no clue who Ron Paul is. I do live in an area that is VERY republican. Heck, Representative Todd Platts used to live on my street, until they sold the house a couple years ago. But his HQ is still 2 blocks away. I have a bunch of RP stuff on my car, a yard sign, shirt, buttons, etc. I've had a lot of extremely curious neighbors and others ask me about RP. I usually have my twin daughters in tow, so it's hard for me to have a long discussion. Thank God for RP Liberty Cards. I just got a bunch last week and they have really helped.

I wish I was more artistic and could make signs and stuff. Even if I could, I don't have the time to go around town sticking them up everywhere. Heck, I don't even have time for the local Meetup group (my work schedule sucks). Still, I'm beginning to see "Who is Ron Paul?" "Google Ron Paul" and "Ron Paul rEVOLution" signs popping up here and there. Some folks around this area are beginning to wake up. I just hope more people do before it is too late.

jonahtrainer
10-23-2007, 11:48 AM

We put a Ron Paul sign in the yard. On the same day the sign was uprooted out of our yard and thrown in the bushes and a PVC water pipe also had a machete chop in it causing a large leak. Perhaps it was some crazy neocon? This was a few months ago.

rs3515
10-23-2007, 11:55 AM
NEVER use any term or phrase that the libs use to describe a situation or position. Always make sure it sounds like a conservative voter saying it.

instead of anti-war... say he beleives in the words of our founders like George washington. They held a Non-interventionist position....which is ...alli with none, trade with all! --- See.... doesn't that sound more like something a conservative would say???

This is very IMPORTANT!!!!

Excellent, excellent point!!!! As always, know your audience!

barcop
10-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Chuck Norris gave me a swift round-house kick to the head :(

Since he found out Huckabee's favorite show is Texas Ranger re-runs... he doesn't even care about his horrible voting record.

American
10-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Chuck Norris gave me a swift round-house kick to the head :(

Since he found out Huckabee's favorite show is Texas Ranger re-runs... he doesn't even care about his horrible voting record.

Did someone already post this?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304096,00.html

Sematary
10-23-2007, 12:18 PM

Nobody ever bothers me except neocons on a message board I like to harass them on. :D

centure7
10-23-2007, 12:22 PM
I hear

4. He is nuts

5. He is old

Thats a good post and I'd like to point out what I think are good answers to some of those:

1. He is not a Republican. The core of the Republican stand is a smaller, less interfering government. He is the strongest person on that issue. He agrees with the Republican stand on at least 80% of their ideas, and if he agreed 100% he would probably be a sham like the other guys on the stage.

2. He is too extreme. According to the most objective study I've seen (by OntheIssues.org), he is listed just as moderate as Rudy Giuliani.

3. He is raising more money than McCain and is in at least the top three candidates. By the end of November he could be raising more than any other Republican. He also has the fastest growing support.

Personally I hear "he doesn't have a chance" as the biggest reason, yet in reality he is right below the top of in fundraising, and is about to get his name recognized by everyone next month with our string of events planned (I'm hoping the overpass event will be the breakout event) for name recognition.

speciallyblend
10-23-2007, 01:15 PM
NO,but i live in Colorado,this state is on the ball;)