PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson for Senate Email-bomb: let's convince him to run!!

eduardo89
02-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Ok, so as many of you already know Gary Johnson is running for president and doesn't want to run for the senate. Jeff Bingaman is retiring in 2012, meaning it'll be an open seat race. Gary was governor of New Mexico for two terms (1995-2003) and in polling is the front runner for that seat. So how do we convince him to run?

I propose we organize an email (http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/contact), facebook (www.facebook.com/govgaryjohnson) and twitter (http://twitter.com/govgaryjohnson) bomb. If we all send a few emails (http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/contact), write on his facebook page (www.facebook.com/govgaryjohnson), tweet him and show him we support a run for Senate maybe we can convince him!

A presidential run this year just isn't going to work out for Gary, especially if Ron Paul decides to run. He'll fracture the libertarian vote and fundraising and in the end, he's just not going to win the nomination. However, he does have a great shot at the Senate!

Here are reasons we should give him to run for the senate:

He is their former two-term governor. He's got the name recognition in the state, but not nationally. He can win the race and build his reputation and name recognition in the senate.
A statewide election is much cheaper than the presidential election.
The incumbent, Jeff Bingaman, is retiring in 2012. Johnson entering the race would likely seal the deal on his retirement, creating an open seat as open seats are MUCH easier to win than stealing it from an incumbent.
Coattails. If Johnson runs, he can endorse Adam Kokesh in NM-03 if Adam runs again and help a liberty candidate rally the votes.
People will notice Johnson running for Senate in New Mexico. He could endorse Ron Paul
Another Senator would help Rand Paul in the Senate and give our movement another high-profile victory.
A term in the Senate could help set Johnson up for a future run for President in 2016

He's a sample email you can use as a template when emailing Gary: (Thanks TCE)

Something like:

Dear Governor Johnson,

You have heard by now that Senator Bingaman will not be running for re-election to the Senate seat in New Mexico. This changes the dynamics of this race dramatically as it now becomes an incredibly winnable open seat contest. Public Policy Polling recently did a poll that showed you having sizable leads against all potential Democratic opponents New Mexico could throw your way. Running for this high profile seat and winning it would put you in great position in four years to run for President in 2016. You will have name recognition and experience in multiple high-qualification jobs. If you run for this seat, I guarantee you will have the support of Ron Paul's national fundraising infrastructure behind you and we can rival, if not beat the amount of money we raised for Rand Paul in 2010. Having you in the New Mexican Senate seat would be a monumental step forward for liberty that I hope you consider. Should you decide to run for the Presidency this year instead, I wish you luck but will not be supporting you monetarily.

Thank you for your time,

Josh

So what do you all say? Who's in?

PS: I can't seem to find an email address for him, just a form (http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/contact) on his website. Does anyone have an email address we could use instead of just the form?

dbill27
02-18-2011, 10:31 PM
I kind of find it ironic or sad that ron paul supporters are writing of gary johnson's chances before he's even started. Isn't that what we bitch about all the time? He has his own respectable record to go on. I agree, i dont think he can win either, and i would never vote for him over ron but he should do what he wants to do

eduardo89
02-18-2011, 10:35 PM
I kind of find it ironic or sad that ron paul supporters are writing of gary johnson's chances before he's even started. Isn't that what we bitch about all the time? He has his own respectable record to go on. I agree, i dont think he can win either, and i would never vote for him over ron but he should do what he wants to do

He will do what he wants, and we're here to help him. But let's be realistic he's not going to win and 99% of us will support Ron over him. The reality is also that he could win the senate seat in New Mexico, and we'd give him all the help we can there. Him running for senate is win-win for us and him. He'd get to go to Washington, do some good in the senate, and vastly improve his chances in the 2016 race. We, on the other hand, would get another liberty-minded senator, would not have our vote and funds diluted in the primaries, and would have a senator in 5 years time who has a shot at the presidency (along with Rand).

Thomas
02-18-2011, 10:49 PM
bump!

libertybrewcity
02-18-2011, 11:53 PM
yea, a politico article says a close Johnson adviser said "there is no chance" of him running for the senate seat.

Kotin
02-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Bump

Dave Aiello
02-19-2011, 12:32 AM
I think Gary was banking on the probability that Ron wouldn't run, and he'd take over the liberty vote. What he fails to realize is that the grass roots will not work 1/100th as hard campaigning for him than we have been for RP. He seems to still be pretty set on a presidential run, however.

ronaldo23
02-19-2011, 01:34 AM
perhaps gary doesn't really want to get back into politics. I doubt he thinks he can win a presidential election, but probably just wants to raise some liberty issues and influence the national debate, instead of going to the senate for 6(+) years.

If he really wanted to be back in politics, his best shot is obviously the senate seat, and while he doesn't have to run for it, it's a little weird that he's saying he is not considering it at all.

mport1
02-19-2011, 01:37 AM
I think Gary was banking on the probability that Ron wouldn't run, and he'd take over the liberty vote. What he fails to realize is that the grass roots will not work 1/100th as hard campaigning for him than we have been for RP. He seems to still be pretty set on a presidential run, however.

Try not 1/1000th. He should do something more productive with his time. If he is going to run he should at least change his positions to be more principled.

Sola_Fide
02-19-2011, 01:40 AM
Bump.

Let's post some contact e-mails.

Bman
02-19-2011, 01:47 AM
I'd still like to see him on stage for a couple of the Presidential debates.

MozoVote
02-19-2011, 11:41 AM
This forum is about as friendly a territory as you could find for Johnson. If people here are split, the general public in Iowa and New Hampshire will probably shrug him off too as one of the "long shots". He really should consider the senate bid so he can caucus with Lee, Paul and DeMint.

This situation is reminding me of seeing BJ Lawson butting his head in a Congressional race, when local people here were urging him to run for the NC senate instead. We could sure have used him there to compliment Glen Bradley in the NC Assembly.

speciallyblend
02-19-2011, 11:43 AM
bob barr 2012, folks please take that as sarcasm!! not wasting my time on gary unless ron paul doesn't run!!

eduardo89
02-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Bump. Anyone found a contact email? When should we donthe email bomb?

erowe1
02-19-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm not big on email bombs in general.

But in this case, I can positively tell GJ that I will gladly donate to his campaign if he runs for senate, but that I won't be donating to him in a presidential run against Ron Paul. I think that if he gets that message from enough people, it would tell him something.

eduardo89
02-19-2011, 03:28 PM
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. He needs to know that we fully support a Senate run, a presidential run not so much.

iddo
02-19-2011, 04:07 PM
should tell him that reinforcement in the Senate is (now) even more important than his last job as governor.

eduardo89
02-19-2011, 08:35 PM
There's a facebook page for all of us to join:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?280362-DRAFT-Gary-Johnson-for-U.S.-SENATE!!!

Elwar
02-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Bump. Anyone found a contact email? When should we donthe email bomb?

I have his e-mail address. I usually forward any important e-mails from people trying to contact him through garyjohnson2012.com.

If you send an e-mail bomb through the contact page on there I'll compile them all together and forward them on.

Keep in mind that he's been campaigning for the past year to run for president and he has indicated several times that he doesn't want to run for Senate.

speciallyblend
02-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Ron Paul 2012 is all you have to write to him. I already told his table at cpac and gary that if ron paul doesn't run i would support him for prez or senate but the bottom line is he is running for President and i am supporting Ron Paul 2012 until said otherwise!! maybe i shouldn't of cheered so loud for gary fri morning at cpac;) his supporters might of got the wrong idea;) for any folks at cpac or at home i(loud ass voice) was probably the loudest cheer for gary in the crowd that morning!! I am starting to not trust gary myself but i will keep an open mind until ron paul announces!! I am not a perfect person but i trust Ron Paul! I cannot say the samething about gary yet!

The Dark Knight
02-19-2011, 11:45 PM
I really like gary and I think if he runs for President it would be bad for the liberty Movement because it pretty much ends any chance that a liberty candidate could win or come close to winning.
However, if he runs for the senate he would win and it would set him up for a 2016 run.
The Liberty movement just doesn't have the numbers to run two candidates and win an election. Gary knows this, everyone knows this. He could accomplish much more for Liberty by serving in the senate along with Rand and Mike Lee while at the same time getting in position to be THE Liberty candidate of 2016.

MozoVote
02-20-2011, 09:17 AM
It would hurt his senate bid for there to be any buzz about president for 2016. Gary is young enough to consider 2020 or even 2024 (when he'd be 71).

Imperial
02-20-2011, 01:52 PM
We will likely get Flake in Arizona, Rehberg (a fiscal conservative who voted against the Patriot Act in Montana), Chaffetz in Utah, and Mack in Florida. Getting Gary Johnson in the Senate would mean that, when adding in Mike Lee and Rand Paul on all issues and Coburn and DeMint on a few, we have a serious liberty caucus in that chamber.

erowe1
02-20-2011, 04:10 PM
We will likely get ...Chaffetz in Utah....

That's news to me. Got a source?

evilfunnystuff
03-06-2011, 10:58 AM
just sent a message

Thomas
03-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Like the FB page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gary-Johnson-for-US-Senate-2012/202285763120625