PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) to Retire

tsai3904
02-18-2011, 12:27 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/18/bingaman-to-retire/

(CNN) – CNN confirms that Democratic Sen. Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico will announce later Friday that he will not run for re-election next year.

That will bring to 4 the number of Democratic senators not running for re-election next year.

muzzled dogg
02-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Gj

Guitarzan
02-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Kokesh!

HOLLYWOOD
02-18-2011, 12:39 PM
WHO?

Anyway, Adam Kokesh or Gary Johnson would be the candidate.

Austin
02-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Adam Kokesh is not the candidate for this election.

It's Gary Johnson, but he's hellbent on running for President. Might as well skip this race entirely. :(

Liberty_Mike
02-18-2011, 12:49 PM
We need to convince Johnson to run for this seat! He would be an excellent addition to the Rand Paul/Mike Lee team.

TheTyke
02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
If the rules are at all like KY, he can file for the Senate run in January of 2012. That would give him some time to participate in the presidential debates (a good thing, imho) and maybe a primary or two (though I would prefer not.)

But Gary Johnson is a smart fellow. If he is not picking up traction by then, I have a hard time believing he wouldn't drop out and take the Senate route.

AJ Antimony
02-18-2011, 12:58 PM
If Gary Johnson is as smart as I assume he is, then he MUST consider running for this seat.

Every poll shows he has an EXCELLENT chance to win it, as opposed to NO chance of winning the GOP presidential nomination.

If it's true that Ron Paul is seriously thinking about running for Senate, then Gary has to also.

Senators Rand Paul, Mike Lee, Jim DeMint, Jeff Flake, and Gary Johnson not only a million times more likely to happen than a President Gary Johnson, but it also will have a much greater impact on our country than Gary making some points in the GOP Presidential debates.

IMO, Gary Johnson MUST run for this seat.

Brett85
02-18-2011, 01:02 PM
If Gary Johnson is as smart as I assume he is, then he MUST consider running for this seat.

Every poll shows he has an EXCELLENT chance to win it, as opposed to NO chance of winning the GOP presidential nomination.

If it's true that Ron Paul is seriously thinking about running for Senate, then Gary has to also.

Senators Rand Paul, Mike Lee, Jim DeMint, Jeff Flake, and Gary Johnson not only a million times more likely to happen than a President Gary Johnson, but it also will have a much greater impact on our country than Gary making some points in the GOP Presidential debates.

IMO, Gary Johnson MUST run for this seat.

Gary Johnson could win a general election for the Senate pretty easily, but he would have trouble winning a GOP primary because of his liberal views on social issues.

muzzled dogg
02-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Run as an indie!

TCE
02-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Run as an indie!

Why would he run as an Independent when he could coast through the race as a Republican? He has no shot at the Presidency, it's Senate or nothing for Gary. If he goes the Senate route, he'll get a ton of (monetary) support. If he runs for President, he can do it by himself.

Matt Collins
02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Wow.... this could be awesome!

If he runs during Ron running for President, we can give money to him too. I think we can get him elected. If he wins the Senate seat he'll have legislative experience in DC and executive experience in NM. That could make him ripe for a Presidential run later on.

Austin
02-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Wow.... this could be awesome!

If he runs during Ron running for President, we can give money to him too. I think we can get him elected. If he wins the Senate seat he'll have legislative experience in DC and executive experience in NM. That could make him ripe for a Presidential run later on.

Bingo. It would also give him time to polish his speaking skills. :p

Brett85
02-18-2011, 03:38 PM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/02/former-new-mexico-gov-gary-johnson-will-not-run-senate

Gary Johnson isn't running for Senate. Maybe we can find another liberty candidate down there who has a chance to win.

eduardo89
02-18-2011, 03:40 PM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/02/former-new-mexico-gov-gary-johnson-will-not-run-senate

Gary Johnson isn't running for Senate. Maybe we can find another liberty candidate down there who has a chance to win.

that's just one comment to a paper, hopefully...

if we all phone him and write to him and post on his fb that we want him to run for senate we might be able to convince him!

eduardo89
02-18-2011, 03:45 PM
can we get this and the other johnson threads merged?

libertybrewcity
02-18-2011, 03:50 PM
I really don't think Johnson will run for senate. The best option is to find someone we can get behind earlier before the PACs have made their choices.

eduardo89
02-18-2011, 03:57 PM
I really don't think Johnson will run for senate. The best option is to find someone we can get behind earlier before the PACs have made their choices.

I think we really need to pressure him for a few weeks, let him know he has all our support for Senate and then see what happens. Key here is letting him know we want him to run for Senate!!

Sola_Fide
02-18-2011, 04:01 PM
What is going through Johnson's head?

For the life of me, I can't understand it...

Thomas
02-18-2011, 04:01 PM
everyone needs to urge gary to run for senate! send him a letter or an email!

Epic
02-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Wait, let me get this straight.

Gary Johnson is going to pass up a chance to be in the Senate... so he can get 1% in the presidential race, and possibly even damage Ron Paul to boot?

Gary Johnson needs to run for senate. PPP released a poll showing Johnson as the leader in the race.

trey4sports
02-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Wait, let me get this straight.

Gary Johnson is going to pass up a chance to be in the Senate... so he can get 1% in the presidential race, and possibly even damage Ron Paul to boot?

Gary Johnson needs to run for senate. PPP released a poll showing Johnson as the leader in the race.

Gary's a smart guy. What if Ron doesn't run? Would you enjoy voting for Mittens in the primary?

my point is that Gary will map out the best path for himself. Maybe its about laying the framework in 2012 for a 2016 run, who knows.

libertybrewcity
02-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Gary's a smart guy. What if Ron doesn't run? Would you enjoy voting for Mittens in the primary?

my point is that Gary will map out the best path for himself. Maybe its about laying the framework in 2012 for a 2016 run, who knows.

A fail in a presidential run, or a win in a senate race. Sometimes you have to take advantage of what is possible and good for the movement, instead of what you dream about. His situation is like me wanting to run for a state legislative seat I know I have no chance of winning instead of sticking with a precinct chairman that is all but guaranteed and could benefit liberty a whole lot more.

Sola_Fide
02-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Do we need to e-mail bomb Gary?

eduardo89
02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Do we need to e-mail bomb Gary?

YES. YES. YES!

also post on his facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/govgaryjohnson) and tweet him (http://twitter.com/GovGaryJohnson)

What email do I write him at?

Matt Collins
02-18-2011, 05:22 PM
YES. YES. YES!

also post on his facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/govgaryjohnson) and tweet him (http://twitter.com/GovGaryJohnson)

What email do I write him at?I just posted on his FB page

TCE
02-18-2011, 06:37 PM

He will, but he's essentially making it quite clear to us that he wants to separate himself from everything Ron Paul, RPF included. Gary has no chance in a 2012 Presidential scenario, Ron Paul or otherwise. He isn't as good a communicator as Ron and he'll make us look like we're all a bunch of hippies just looking to get high after the neo-cons air all of his marijuana spots. It is worth it to make a last ditch effort to try and get him to run for Senate, but if he runs for President instead, he'll have made his bed.