PDA

View Full Version : Map: Where Americans Are Moving

Marenco
02-17-2011, 09:26 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/04/migration-moving-wealthy-interactive-counties-map.html

TruckinMike
02-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Wow! My county is in for a world of hurt! We've been seeing a trend to this effect but I didn't really believe that it was that bad. Help! We're being invaded by Californians!:eek:

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/7872/mycountyimmigration.jpg

TMike

EDIT: TEXAS IS DOOMED! --- Dallas county, Travis county, Harris county -- ALL BLACK!!! We are experiencing an invasion from the left coast and the north east!

AFPVet
02-17-2011, 10:42 PM
My state (Indiana) is seeing a lot too :) Both in and out migration.

pcosmar
02-17-2011, 10:43 PM
This is not unexpected, (Detroit)
http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/04/migration-moving-wealthy-interactive-counties-map.html?preload=26163

This is not so bad, (my location)
http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/04/migration-moving-wealthy-interactive-counties-map.html?preload=26033

TruckinMike
02-17-2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/04/migration-moving-wealthy-interactive-counties-map.html?preload=26163

Yes, expected...but man that looks bad!

pcosmar
02-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Yes, expected...but man that looks bad!

Canary in the coal mine.
;)

you do understand the fate of the canary?
:(

RSLudlum
02-17-2011, 10:56 PM
It's a northern invasion in SC. They must all be coming here to enjoy the 150year anniversary of secession and civil war celebrations. ;)

http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/04/migration-moving-wealthy-interactive-counties-map.html?preload=45019

Anti Federalist
02-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Canary in the coal mine.
;)

you do understand the fate of the canary?
:(

Detroit Will PAY You To Take One Of These 100 Abandoned Homes

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/abandoned-houses-detroit-2011-2#ixzz1EHcoMbo5

pcosmar
02-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Detroit Will PAY You To Take One Of These 100 Abandoned Homes

That is for Cops. Need to bribe the enforcers. Gotta keep the mercs happy.

Pericles
02-17-2011, 11:20 PM
That is for Cops. Need to bribe the enforcers. Gotta keep the mercs happy.

Real mercs just take what they want. Something for the general public to keep in mind.

pcosmar
02-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Real mercs just take what they want. Something for the general public to keep in mind.

Expecting it when the checks start bouncing.
;)
That will require some rule changes.

AFPVet
02-17-2011, 11:31 PM

When I was about to get out of the military, a lot of the people who were not the best of the bunch were talking about being mercenaries (Blackwater)—since the opportunities were spreading like wildfire—after they got out. I didn't want any part of that crap.

daviddee
02-17-2011, 11:36 PM

Anti Federalist
02-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Check out all of the people fleeing out of "Free State"

Yup, almost all bailing out of the "liberal" counties in the SE part of the state.

Almost all heading to Florida. (You'll be sorry...)

Good riddance I say. More room for Free Staters.

AFPVet
02-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Yup, almost all bailing out of the "liberal" counties in the SE part of the state.

A lot of people are moving to FL. Florida isn't bad... but I wouldn't want to live there... nice place to vacation to though :)

Anti Federalist
02-18-2011, 12:03 AM
A lot of people are moving to FL. Florida isn't bad... but I wouldn't want to live there... nice place to vacation to though :)

Ugh, I did, on three separate occasions.

Never, ever again.

My brother is stuck down there, unable to move to NH with the rest of the family due to getting caught up in the housing Charlie Foxtrot.

libertybrewcity
02-18-2011, 12:21 AM
cool map, thanks for posting!

AFPVet
02-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Ugh, I did, on three separate occasions.

Never, ever again.

My brother is stuck down there, unable to move to NH with the rest of the family due to getting caught up in the housing Charlie Foxtrot.

Southern Indiana ain't bad... I like Tennessee too :)

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-18-2011, 12:45 AM

Indeed. Can't wait to get up there with everyone.

Andrew-Austin
02-18-2011, 01:18 AM
lol @ Austin getting raped by inward movers.

Recently I heard someone say Austin wasn't ethnically diverse. Now, this person had moved here from New York city, but I was flabbergasted. They also told me Texas was racccisttt.

BamaAla
02-18-2011, 01:26 AM
lol @ Austin getting raped by inward movers.

Recently I heard someone say Austin wasn't ethnically diverse. Now, this person had moved here from New York city, but I was flabbergasted. They also told me Texas was racccisttt.

That individual should certainly stay away from these parts...lilly white.

Elwar
02-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Hopefully there's not a movement to rename my county to New New Jersey.

Matt Collins
02-26-2011, 12:22 AM
It's definitely a Yankee invasion for sure down here. But the amount of people moving OUT of Florida is fascinating.

Key cities to review on that map which will make it the most interesting for you:
Detroit
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Orlando
Miami (including Palm Beach, Duval, Dade, Broward Counties)
NYC
Boston
Seattle
LA

Thank you for posting, that was a fascinating map about moving and migration. I do want to know however how they came up with those county statistics?

Batman
02-26-2011, 12:42 AM
I knew as much. In '99 Bay Area was the place to move to. But now it's back to Houston. I been thinking of moving back myself.

AGRP
02-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Interesting:

Bend, Oregon is a tourist destination/playground.

The people who left, went north. The people who moved there came from the south:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/04/migration-moving-wealthy-interactive-counties-map.html?preload=41017

moostraks
02-26-2011, 07:55 AM

This is not so bad, (my location)
http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/04/migration-moving-wealthy-interactive-counties-map.html?preload=26033

:) I wanted to move to Upper Michigan but the houses we were finding were too small for my mega size family in the price range I was looking in. Looks like not too much inbound migration up there...nice! We have mostly outbound down here. I like the city desolation in our section. It is on the edge of downtown, in the business district where several buildings are empty and yet the owned ones have been nicely rehabbed.

pcosmar
02-26-2011, 08:47 AM
:) I wanted to move to Upper Michigan but the houses we were finding were too small for my mega size family in the price range I was looking in. Looks like not too much inbound migration up there...nice! We have mostly outbound down here. I like the city desolation in our section. It is on the edge of downtown, in the business district where several buildings are empty and yet the owned ones have been nicely rehabbed.

Mine is a 4 br old farmhouse on 20 acres. there is an old mobile home on the property and a huge barn (lots of room there) and a couple out buildings.
There are plenty of large farm houses around here. Prices are lower that anywhere else I had seen (when I was shopping)
What is your price range and room requirement?
I just found 2, 4br houses on 40 acres at under $120K. and that was a quick search.

moostraks
02-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Mine is a 4 br old farmhouse on 20 acres. there is an old mobile home on the property and a huge barn (lots of room there) and a couple out buildings.
There are plenty of large farm houses around here. Prices are lower that anywhere else I had seen (when I was shopping)

I had a very strict budget and the intention to not pay a mortgage. I paid $13,500 iirc (fluoride brain!) outright for our house. It is somewhere around 4200 + square feet. Bedroom count is weird because of the layout is from 1900. So could say 8 or 9 bedrooms with some smaller than others (by the time the third floor is done) and 3 baths (with an eventual 4th in the basement).

We have almost no property but I didn't want it so much after the house we had in Alabama. We are about 2-3 blocks walking from a gorgeous park with a river (you can see it a block behind the house in winter) and they have outdoor concerts (awesome fireworks!), playground equipment for the children, and walking trails. (We brought our mega playground with us when we moved much to dh's chagrin.) The yard setup is perfect because there is not much in the front as it goes back so monster playground is safe for little ones. They plow the main drag frequently so no horrible road hazards in winter. For now taxes are reasonably cheap for what we own, all considering. So I count my blessings...

The worst of the remodel we had to do immediately was busted copper pipes. Most of the roof was sound and recently redone. (We have one section to redo this year.) There was a broken window and the yard was wrecked. We still need to redo porches since the guy who was foreclosed on decided he would retaliate on the decking. She is a double brick monstrosity though and not too bad on fuel for the size of her since the heat is a gas boiler radiant system. So all of this was a consideration because we moved with no income and the house had to be payment free and relatively sound.

The prices on the houses up there were really good, don't get me wrong. It would probably have been my next option for looking had this deal not gone through. :) We were moving from Georgia though and the commute for house hunting had me committed to this area. I only found out about this area because prices on real estate through ebay were flipping them so cheap. Dh has family in Pittsburgh so it was still close to some relatives.

(sorry it's so long. In explaining reasoning there was a good deal went into why we chose this home)

pcosmar
02-26-2011, 09:48 AM
I had a very strict budget and the intention to not pay a mortgage. I paid $13,500 iirc (fluoride brain!) outright for our house. It is somewhere around 4200 + square feet. Bedroom count is weird because of the layout is from 1900. So could say 8 or 9 bedrooms with some smaller than others (by the time the third floor is done) and 3 baths (with an eventual 4th in the basement).

We have almost no property but I didn't want it so much after the house we had in Alabama. We are about 2-3 blocks walking from a gorgeous park with a river (you can see it a block behind the house in winter) and they have outdoor concerts (awesome fireworks!), playground equipment for the children, and walking trails. (We brought our mega playground with us when we moved much to dh's chagrin.) The yard setup is perfect because there is not much in the front as it goes back so monster playground is safe for little ones. They plow the main drag frequently so no horrible road hazards in winter. For now taxes are reasonably cheap for what we own, all considering. So I count my blessings...

The worst of the remodel we had to do immediately was busted copper pipes. Most of the roof was sound and recently redone. (We have one section to redo this year.) There was a broken window and the yard was wrecked. We still need to redo porches since the guy who was foreclosed on decided he would retaliate on the decking. She is a double brick monstrosity though and not too bad on fuel for the size of her since the heat is a gas boiler radiant system. So all of this was a consideration because we moved with no income and the house had to be payment free and relatively sound.

The prices on the houses up there were really good, don't get me wrong. It would probably have been my next option for looking had this deal not gone through. :) We were moving from Georgia though and the commute for house hunting had me committed to this area. I only found out about this area because prices on real estate through ebay were flipping them so cheap. Dh has family in Pittsburgh so it was still close to some relatives.

(sorry it's so long. In explaining reasoning there was a good deal went into why we chose this home)

Cool. I bought mine online when I was still in Florida. You can find some really good deals on "fixer uppers" if you're handy.
Outside of the cities was a requirement for me.

moostraks
02-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Cool. I bought mine online when I was still in Florida. You can find some really good deals on "fixer uppers" if you're handy.
Outside of the cities was a requirement for me.

My requirement was inside the cities.:D We lived in the middle of a feud with the house we had in Alabama. They were always shooting at each other across our property. I figured that would be less likely in the city. Drive by shootings have a less likelihood of hitting us then those two folks did.:p