PDA

View Full Version : What are the best methods and resources for de-apathizing people?

Mahkato
02-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Most of my friends and associates DO. NOT. CARE. that their liberties and wealth are being robbed from right under their noses.

What can I do to remove their apathy before their empty pocketbook makes them realize they've been had?

Do you have any short videos, books, articles, web sites, etc., that apathetic people will actually look at?

Mark37snj
02-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Have you noticed how the price of everything is going up. The same thing that happened to Russia is happening to us. Do you remember the reports about toilet paper shortages?

AuH20
02-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Most of my friends and associates DO. NOT. CARE. that their liberties and wealth are being robbed from right under their noses.

What can I do to remove their apathy before their empty pocketbook makes them realize they've been had?

Do you have any short videos, books, articles, web sites, etc., that apathetic people will actually look at?

There is little you can do. Experience is the great teacher. And he's not here yet. Wait until he arrives though. Add some extra locks to your doors. Maybe invest in some razorwire as well. :)

Kludge
02-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Do they vote? If not, I agree with AuH2O (or... 0?). If they don't feel the situation's bad and don't care much for acting moral, you'll probably just irritate them pushing something they don't care about on them.

hazek
02-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Stick and carrot my friend.

The only reason why they don't care is because they don't yet fully feel the pain that's coming. So find articles, videos, books that can paint a really grim but realistic picture of what's to come. For me it was zeitgeist the banking part that shocked me, especially the grim music of terror and all the explosions going of when it explained the part of how war is profitable ect ect

And then you also have to show them the carrot. A way out. Someone to build their hope on. You can again use books, videos and articles.

Remember we human beings always make decisions that will first and foremost help us avoid what we have learned will cause us pain and second seek what we have learned will cause us pleasure. Right now your family and friends live in a fantasy world where they learned that caring = pain because they usually get cheated once the person they voted for gets into office. They also learned from watching TV that life is ok so not caring = pleasure for them. If you are able trough the before mentioned methods reverse their values and beliefs I promise you they will care.

Bryan
02-17-2011, 05:11 PM
It depends upon your audience. What hazek says can work for some people- just be sure to not make predictions that turn out not to pass- you lose creditability. Also, don't sound like the sky is falling.

IMO, telling someone they've been had is only half the story- the other half is that they've been had so that others can get fabulous rich off you being a compliant serf. That tends to annoy.

In general I think it's best to understand your audience and what their issues are and work from that. YMMV.

sailingaway
02-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Ron Paul's voting record did it for me.

Before that I figured 'they're all the same'.

When I discovered they weren't, I wasn't willing to let the others get away with it.

If he can do it, they all can do it.

ammorris
02-17-2011, 06:07 PM
The best way I've found is to yell at them and heckle speakers they are trying to listen to.

TroySmith
02-17-2011, 06:22 PM
The best way I've found is to yell at them and heckle speakers they are trying to listen to.

Nice :)

I've found the best way is to find common ground with them and go from there. Play Socrates with them. After a certain point recommend some Ayn Rand or Murray Rothbard to them.

MN Patriot
02-17-2011, 07:03 PM
If they work for a living, their income taxes are robbed from them before they even get the money. I believe that has contributed to an enormous amount of apathy, since people don't fully realize how they are being exploited. April 15 is just the day they settle their account with the government, usually getting a gift of a few hundred dollars of their own money back.
I would like to see Rand Paul or any of the other Tea Party candidates introduce legislation to outlaw payroll withholding of taxes. Make everyone write a check every month to the IRS, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid. That would open up some eyes.
This is a very powerful approach. Anyone who opposes this is admitting taxes are too high.