PDA

View Full Version : US Air Force C-17 seized over Argentine drug smuggling accusations

PatriotOne
02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
US Air Force C-17 seized over Argentine drug smuggling accusations

Argentina is accusing the US military of attempting to smuggle arms, drugs and spy equipment into the country under the pretext of a police training course.

The US military disputed the claims, denying an attempt to smuggle equipment into Argentina.

Argentine authorities claim to have seized nearly 1,000 cubic feet of undeclared items ranging from machine guns and ammunition to drugs and spy equipment. Argentine officials said the items were found on a US Air Force C-17 cargo plane along with material for a training course a US Special Forces team had been invited to give to the federal police.
Foreign Minister Hector Timerman said his nation planned to file an official protest in Washington and seek a shared investigation into the matter, specifically why the US Air Force would violate Argentine laws.

http://rt.com/usa/news/usa-military-argentina-smuggling/

specsaregood
02-17-2011, 10:23 AM
//

PatriotOne
02-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Uhm, the title implies something it isn't:

Its not like they got busted with cocaine and heroin.

Morphine seems to be the drug undeclared. Heroin is made from morphine so.......

I'd like to see the inventory list of what and how much was being brought in. Argentinia is obviously concerned about something so I doubt it was small amounts.

specsaregood
02-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Morphine seems to be the drug undeclared. Heroin is made from morphine so.......

source? because that isn't in the article you cited. Also, I'd think morphine is commonly included in military medical kits. I don't know personally,but it always is in the movies. :)

I'd like to see the inventory list of what and how much was being brought in. Argentinia is obviously concerned about something so I doubt it was small amounts.
Yeah, we'll see. Still the info in that article doesn't make it sound like "drug smuggling" was the main reason for the seizure.

Pericles
02-17-2011, 10:48 AM
source? because that isn't in the article you cited. Also, I'd think morphine is commonly included in military medical kits. I don't know personally,but it always is in the movies. :)

In the line units, morphine is at the BAS (battalion aid station) and is issued out to the medic when anticipating action. Only a MD, of if an MD is not available, a commissioned officer can authorize the use of morphine. We were told that if we authorized it, consider the case almost hopeless and give the guy a painless sendoff. At the time, the Army was really worried about the addictive effects.

specsaregood
02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
In the line units, morphine is at the BAS (battalion aid station) and is issued out to the medic when anticipating action. Only a MD, of if an MD is not available, a commissioned officer can authorize the use of morphine. We were told that if we authorized it, consider the case almost hopeless and give the guy a painless sendoff. At the time, the Army was really worried about the addictive effects.

So it would be something that we would send out to keep in stock?

virgil47
02-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Yeah, we'll see. Still the info in that article doesn't make it sound like "drug smuggling" was the main reason for the seizure.

Morphene is not normally included in the on aircraft medical kits. Most drugs in the kits are designed to provide relief from minor pain and allergys.

Pericles
02-17-2011, 10:56 AM
I'd expect a Special Forces medic to be carrying it. They operate beyond MEDEVAC range, so treatment would be primitive and late in getting a guy out to quality medical care.

PatriotOne
02-17-2011, 02:49 PM

Morphine was mentioned in several other articles. Here's one example.

Argentina said items taken included undeclared weapons and drugs including morphine, and that it filed a formal protest with Washington over what it said was an attempt to violate Argentine laws by bringing in "hidden material" in an official shipment.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/americas/US-Surprised-Concerned-By-Argentinas-Actions-116365959.html

However, since South America's Goverments have been cooperating with drug smuggling with the US for decades, I suspect this is more of a threat to expose it for some other reason.

Anti Federalist
02-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Looks like the Argentinians are pulling a fast one here to make a point.

But it's not an idea without precedent

Cocaine planes with links to Washington and CIA
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/84652

virgil47
02-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Perhaps the U.S. should simply recall its special forces and let the local police train themselves.

BamaAla
02-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Don't help Argentina anymore...

Pericles
02-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Morphine was mentioned in several other articles. Here's one example.

Argentina said items taken included undeclared weapons and drugs including morphine, and that it filed a formal protest with Washington over what it said was an attempt to violate Argentine laws by bringing in "hidden material" in an official shipment.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/americas/US-Surprised-Concerned-By-Argentinas-Actions-116365959.html

However, since South America's Goverments have been cooperating with drug smuggling with the US for decades, I suspect this is more of a threat to expose it for some other reason.

It's not like it would be a big bottle of morphine that you could put up on the local version of eBay. It should be a small sealed box of 5 tinctures which are individual doses. The Army won't let a medic go wild with that stuff.

PatriotOne
02-17-2011, 06:54 PM
It's not like it would be a big bottle of morphine that you could put up on the local version of eBay. It should be a small sealed box of 5 tinctures which are individual doses. The Army won't let a medic go wild with that stuff.

So far I haven't seen any articles saying exactly what amounts of drugs was on the plane or in what form so it's hard to figure out what is going on. All I know is that Argentina is trying to make a point here. Argentina Gov druglords sending a "message" to the US Gov druglords perhaps? Want a bigger cut of the profits? This particular incident may turn out to be a non-incident but SOMETHING behind the scenes is going on since Argentina is making a big deal out of it.