PDA

View Full Version : FOX Forced To Apologize On Air Over Ron Paul CPAC Video Deception !

Immortal Technique
02-17-2011, 08:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1alAbMrMM

Airing Date Feb.17, 2011

Yes Bill Hemmer offered up a pretty weak excuse for what they did in an interview with Ron Paul Tuesday, they claim the reason they aired the wrong clip was the two clips of the CPAC victory announcements looked to similar.
The winner (Ron Paul) was announced February 12, 2011, the FOX news report was aired Feb.15, 2011, thats 3 days apart.
Pretty hard to make that mistake.
Yes a 38 second apology, how classy.

ababba
02-17-2011, 08:44 AM
OK but how, who, why did you make this honest mistake?

paulitics
02-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Not buying it. Doesn't add up.

Bruno
02-17-2011, 08:47 AM
"They looked the same, how were we to know?" So, I guess everytime someone wears the same sports coat they are confused in the newsroom? "Hey, Obama gave a speech. He was wearing a blue suit. Find some footage of him wearing a blue suit with an American flag behind him, the color of the suit and the backdrop is all that really matters."

Um.....lame!

Wish some insider would spill the beans.

georgiaboy
02-17-2011, 08:49 AM
red handed.

specsaregood
02-17-2011, 08:50 AM
"videotape", lol yeah like you guys used a videotape.

sratiug
02-17-2011, 08:59 AM
They apologized but are still scared to play the tape. Pussies.

sailingaway
02-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Actually, that was better than I expected, but I do note they:

1. Don't PLAY the difference so you can hear it; and

2. Don't point out that that guy made fun of, or at least stressed the booing [which didn't happen] and made it the subject of his questions to Ron Paul.

Original_Intent
02-17-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gArUEEE1OF8

FrankRep
02-17-2011, 09:11 AM
http://www.thenewamerican.com/images/stories2011/11aFebruary/cpacstrawpoll-t-ap.001.jpg

Fox News’ coverage of the 2011 CPAC presidential straw poll announcement was a misrepresentation of the actual events, because in the segment of this year’s event featured on Fox News’ America’s Newsroom with Martha McCallem and Bill Hemmer, rather than presenting actual footage from the 2011 event, Fox News showed the video of the results of the 2010 CPAC presidential straw poll, in which Paul was declared the victor before a crowd of disgruntled Mitt Romney supporters who loudly booed the results.

Fox News Deceives Public and Ron Paul (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/6345-fox-news-deceives-public-and-ron-paul)

Raven Clabough | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
17 February 2011

Romulus
02-17-2011, 09:12 AM
f'ing Rats!

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Just like their very honest mistake of not including Ron Paul in their telephone poll, but including every joe schmoe under the sun who may have scratched his ass at the thought of running in 2012 and then airing that right after Ron's win to discredit him. Hey Faux. You aren't getting away with it so easy this time.

Bern
02-17-2011, 09:15 AM
bullshit.

georgiaboy
02-17-2011, 09:16 AM

1. Don't PLAY the difference so you can hear it; and

2. Don't point out that that guy made fun of, or at least stressed the booing [which didn't happen] and made it the subject of his questions to Ron Paul.

same. Just having to air this mea culpa caused quite the internal ruckus and is resonating throughout the media landscape. Other media outlets' antennae will be up because of this. And the RP movement finding and sharing this evidence is causing folks to take a long second look at the man and his message.

Yet another example (Trump being another recent one) of an attempted smear backfiring. Blowback, ouch.

jmdrake
02-17-2011, 09:23 AM
"There were audible boos in 2010 but much more cheering this time".

How about There were NO boos this time and WILD ECSTATIC CHEERING!?

unklejman
02-17-2011, 09:28 AM
So they either kept a year old tape out, or threw a new tape in the archive..... both seem plausible... :rolleyes:

sevin
02-17-2011, 09:38 AM
"They looked the same, how were we to know?" So, I guess everytime someone wears the same sports coat they are confused in the newsroom? "Hey, Obama gave a speech. He was wearing a blue suit. Find some footage of him wearing a blue suit with an American flag behind him, the color of the suit and the backdrop is all that really matters."

Yeah, really. Maybe I'm giving Fox News more credit than they deserve, but I don't think they're that incompetent.

kahless
02-17-2011, 09:38 AM
So they either kept a year old tape out, or threw a new tape in the archive..... both seem plausible... :rolleyes:

Tapes went out years ago. The automation systems are typically all hard disk based these days. Just like anything else you can probably search by event and narrow it down by date.

I suppose a mistake is possible but considering the source I am doubtful it. You would see the list of queued jobs and see you have an older date. It could be the master control operator has a political agenda, was told to select the wrong archive or works in an political atmosphere where this is standard operating procedure (not being instructed to do so but wants to make their peers and upper echelons happy).

Jeremy
02-17-2011, 09:41 AM
I accept their apology.

Nate-ForLiberty
02-17-2011, 09:42 AM
who the fuck still uses video tape?

Danke
02-17-2011, 09:44 AM
"There were audible boos in 2010 but much more cheering this time".

How about There were NO boos this time and WILD ECSTATIC CHEERING!?

FOX put the mic next to the Romney supporters in 2010.

trey4sports
02-17-2011, 09:46 AM
it was most likely a smear attempt but in all honesty it probably doesn't make an ounce of difference

edit: and from where i was sitting there were some boos, but i was in neocon central

Pericles
02-17-2011, 09:47 AM
They had to do the mea culpa. Think of the fun their competitors would have with the story if FOX continued to deny the error.

Who wants to be FOX's Dan Rather?

TomtheTinker
02-17-2011, 09:53 AM
They must bhe feeling the pressure.

reduen
02-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Notice the apology is very brief and they did not choose to show the actual crowd reaction...

unklejman
02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
who the fuck still uses video tape?

After some research, Fox News went tapeless back in 2008. But HD tape formats are in use by production and news. Even still I'm sure they use naming conventions, and archival procedures that makes this highly unlikely to be a simple mistake.

Valli6
02-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Any reports of FOX's "competitors" covering this dishonesty? We know that historically, the "competition" doesn't stick up for truth when it comes to discrediting Paul - but it would be interesting to hear otherwise.

economics102
02-17-2011, 10:23 AM
I always say, when it comes to media bias, you can differentiate accidental "mistakes" from intentional "mistakes" by looking at the trend: do the mistakes trend towards one point of view, or do they appear to fall evenly for/against? If you detect a trend, is there any other statistically relevant reason why the mistakes might tend to not distribute evenly for/against? If not, you have a clear case of media bias.

FOX News (and the other MSM outlets as well) frequently misreport things related to Ron Paul. How often have those misreportings painted Paul in a better light? Perhaps without exception, the misreportings almost always make him look bad. And it just so happens that FOX's talking heads who are allowed to express their opinions all dislike Ron Paul. The statistics -- that is how you identify that these are not "accidents."

Acala
02-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Yes, it was a simple mistake, because Fox doesn't index its files by date or event. It indexes them by the appearance of the people in the video.

Tonewah
02-17-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't even want to hear their weak excuses. Heads need to roll. But that won't happen. The brainless hordes who continue to watch after KNOWING Fox misrepresents the facts don't care if they hear the truth, they just want to feel good about it. They don't watch to find out what's really going on, they just watch to find out what they are supposed to think. It wouldn't matter if half of their talking heads were convicted of fraud, they'd still watch out of loyalty.

These are the same kind of people that still watch Jim Bakker and Robert Tilden.

brandon
02-17-2011, 10:47 AM
If it was really a mistake, it's a pretty major mistake that really hurts the credibility of the network (lol), so I would expect to see several people fired or resigning. Where are they?

William R
02-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Well that's actually pretty good. But clearly there are some at FAUX that hate Ron Paul. O'Reilly, Rove, Kristol, Krauthammer and Roger Ailes.

HOLLYWOOD
02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
who the fuck still uses video tape? Yeah no kidding, everything is on servers now, tapes, reels, etc are gone.

FOX HISTORY on Ron Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj6rUM7BHT8

ItsTime
02-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Fox News are terrorist.

Valli6
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Any reports of FOX's "competitors" covering this dishonesty? We know that historically, the "competition" doesn't stick up for truth when it comes to discrediting Paul - but it would be interesting to hear otherwise.
Ooo, here's one (from Aol):

Fox News Caught Running Old CPAC Footage After Ron Paul's Straw Poll Win? [VIDEOS]
(Mary Phillips-Sandy 2/16/11)

Rep. Ron Paul of Texas won the Conservative Political Action Conference, or CPAC, 2011 straw poll with 30 percent of the vote, besting runner-up Mitt Romney by 7 percentage points.

The annual straw poll is considered a bellwether of conservative support in advance of the presidential primary season, though many political analysts say it's a popularity contest, not a meaningful statistic. Paul was also the winner in 2010.

Now attention has shifted to Fox News' coverage of the event. Some are accusing the network of inserting footage from CPAC 2010 -- when disappointed Romney supporters booed Paul's win -- to make it seem as though Paul's 2011 victory was also booed.

In a Fox News clip aired on Tuesday, crowds are heard booing as the CPAC winner is announced. "Probably not the reaction he was hoping for," anchor Bill Hemmer says, then introduces Rep. Paul. "So who was in the audience booing you?" he asks.

Continued: http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/16/fox-news-caught-running-old-cpac-footage-after-ron-pauls-straw/

unklejman
02-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Yeahm no kidding, everything is on servers now.

You'd be surprised.

freshjiva
02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Calm down, people. We got the apology, so lets move on.
Fox News now knows not to play games ever again, because there are more than just a few liberty-loving media watchdogs out there.

Sometimes it amazes me how many activists we have. Despite still being outnumbered by neocons, we might actually still have the same total number of activists throughout the country, which is astounding to think about.

enjerth
02-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't buy it. One of the stories that came out of the 2011 CPAC straw poll is that Sarah Palin, a supposed favorite, came in ninth. In 2010 she was announced third. They cut the video just a few seconds before announcing Palin was third. Anyone who has paid any attention to the CPAC 2011 results would have noticed immediately that this wasn't the right video to be playing as they were cutting the video. Someone did it intentionally.

Valli6
02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
...We got the apology, so lets move on.
Fox News now knows not to play games ever again, ...

I can't figure out whether you're being serious or sarcastic here. :confused:

specsaregood
02-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Someone did it intentionally.
Well of course they did; but we got the best possible realistic outcome. FoxNews decided they would rather portray the image of being inept and error-prone than deceitful and biased.

Bruno
02-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Calm down, people. We got the apology, so lets move on. Fox News now knows not to play games ever again, because there are more than just a few liberty-loving media watchdogs out there.

So you actually believe they are going to be fair now?

They may not use old footage in such a manner again, but I would be incredibly surprised to see them change their pattern of behavior of marginalizing him, mispresenting his positions, omitting him from their polls and debates, and mostly ignoring him completely unless they can smear him about something.

Matt Collins
02-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Yes, it was a simple mistake, because Fox doesn't index its files by date or event. It indexes them by the appearance of the people in the video.
I could see this only being a "mistake" in the following....

Perhaps when it came time to roll the footage, they didn't have or know where the 2011 footage was at that exact moment. The editor was looking for it, found the 2010 footage first (audio is never given any consideration in TV, trust me on this one; I'm an audio engineer) and just thought he could get by with running the 2010 footage since it was Ron Paul winning the straw poll.

Other than that above scenario, which is entirely possible, I see no way this could be a mistake.

freshjiva
02-17-2011, 11:23 AM

I'm being serious. Fox was caught with their pants down, and were forced to issue an apology on the air.
They won't play games like this, because they know we have grown into a very noteworthy movement.

Lets see if they try to exclude Paul from one of the debates next time. We will cause a few problems to their network.

Finn
02-17-2011, 11:25 AM
+1. I have a feeling a lot of people weren't here during last election, so they might not understand yet just how deceptive all mainstream news channels are towards Ron. It's gonna be an eye opener if he runs again, just like it was for many a few years ago.

S.Shorland
02-17-2011, 11:36 AM
The interviewer stated ' ...no doubt unfazed by the reaction..' and then cut immediately to Ron looking 'unfazed' thus causing the viewer to think 'wow,what kind of creep can 'lie' like this and completely disconnect emotionally and physically (not be embarrassed in the slightest).It was set up to give a bad impression of Ron and this is the route they will take in attacking him: question his motives and make him out to be 'not what he seems'.Someone should point it out or it will continue AND be effective on peoples' gut feeling toward him.

Cowlesy
02-17-2011, 11:40 AM

Perhaps when it came time to roll the footage, they didn't have or know where the 2011 footage was at that exact moment. The editor was looking for it, found the 2010 footage first (audio is never given any consideration in TV, trust me on this one; I'm an audio engineer) and just thought he could get by with running the 2010 footage since it was Ron Paul winning the straw poll.

Other than that above scenario, which is entirely possible, I see no way this could be a mistake.

That makes sense.

I don't see the point in people getting pissed off at Bill Hemmer --- I think he's usually pretty good. I highly doubt he has any input on the splicing of audio/video together...he reads the lead-in he gets and then interviewed Ron.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't some "make the guy look bad" sentiments directed toward the production people in respect to Ron Paul.

That, or like any org, they made a stupid mistake, got called out on it, and apologized.

Raging and fuming about it won't do any good. Just file it away and the next time we catch them, we add it to the pile.

realtonygoodwin
02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Never attribute to malice that which is caused by incompetence...

moostraks
02-17-2011, 11:51 AM

Sociopaths with an agenda should never get the benefit of the doubt.

HOLLYWOOD
02-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Corporate Media is the 4th branch of government.

The script was laid out, FOX NEWS had plenty of time to find the correct video. The Boos, The Setup, The Marginalization of Ron Paul.

Same goes the rest of corporate media... MSNBC's Rachel Maddow only hosts the Pauls when her scripted staff look to discredited/marginalize them or further riffs within the GOP/Republican party when Ron/Rand oppose their "PARTY ALLEGIANCE" They too love to divide/incite/discredit for their agenda.

There's one way to having a bit of control... that advertising dollars... especially political campaigns. If they conduct malice... you pull your money and they don't like that. So, if Ron runs... gonna have a boatload of fund-raisers up front.

specsaregood
02-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Would it not be a good tactic to hide malice by feigning incompetence then?

Valli6
02-17-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm being serious. Fox was caught with their pants down, and were forced to issue an apology on the air.
They won't play games like this, because they know we have grown into a very noteworthy movement.

This is just one of thousands of such games FOX has played with Ron Paul's credibility. True, they won't pull this specific stunt again, and they'll have a difficult time flat-out excluding Paul from a debate, but if you were watching during 2007 - 2008, you'd know they "got a million of 'em!"

If they really wanted to be honest, they would mention that in 2010 most of Ron Paul's supporters had been attending a Ron Paul-related event in a different room just prior to the announcement of the winner! That's why they weren't all up front to cheer him. They should have reported in 2010 and now, that the booing came from disappointed Romney supporters and NOT the majority of attendees!

Bruno
02-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Would it not be a good tactic to hide malice by feigning incompetence then?

Nail on head

Fredom101
02-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Notice how the bank never makes a mistake in your favor either.

Lucille
02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Honest mistake my foot.

LOL @ Bill Hemmer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwo0Iyrh1Zk#t=6m24s)

gregb
02-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I can't believe all the goodwill towards Fox in this thread. Matt Collins seems to think then that the announcer is just reading from the screen with absolutely no knowledge of what really happened, just learning about the results and the audience reaction for the first time ie absolutely no knowledge of the convention up until that moment. Then, the people who wrote the teleprompter for him I suppose none of them noticed either but were shown the same wrong video and wrote the questions based on that.

I don't think so and I can't see it being an honest mistake.

I can't remember which primary it was last time - I was watching coverage and someone was showing a pie chart with the various slices per candidate and Ron Paul wasn't on it except as "other", and he was ahead of people with more letters in their name and there were in fact no other "others" for Ron to be lumped in with.

The difference is that this time it seems as if everything is being recorded right from the start. Last time I was too shocked by what was happening to record and this time when I watch media online I'm recording. We all know it wasn't an honest mistake. This is no more brazen than what they pulled (and the other networks are guilty too) last time - just last time there wasn't footage from "the last time" at the start. We all saw them use footage from previous conventions the last time. This time they had footage and were prepared. Heck, this was almost subtle compared with last time's skewing of reality.

The only question in my mind is how to legitimately hit them again. There may be no point to keeping on flooding the media with complaints, writing letters etc. but there is a total point on using this momentum. Who advertises on that show? Anyone? I don't watch Fox. Specifically, I mean - who paid for the commercial that supported the Ron Paul smear? Do an online "UK Uncut" thing. Hit them and permanently. Maybe that is too harsh, just damage the company that sponsors evil.

The point is that there must be some intelligent way of hitting them again, some action to take that keeps the story alive because it has relevance. All this talk about "Oh maybe there could possibly have been a mistake" and "I guess we fixed them, they won't try that again" makes me grind my teeth. I, ME - I am fair and balanced and I judged them guilty beyond any doubt some time ago now the only thing left is to decide on and carry out the sentence .....for positive reasons - to deter others.

Krugerrand
02-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Notice how the bank never makes a mistake in your favor either.

isn't that the truth!

Matt Collins
02-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Matt Collins seems to think then that the announcer is just reading from the screen with absolutely no knowledge of what really happened, just learning about the results and the audience reaction for the first time ie absolutely no knowledge of the convention up until that moment.
Uhh... I never said that, go back and reread what I actually wrote.

civusamericanus
02-17-2011, 12:15 PM
I think it's great Fox got caught, it's even better they apologized. Hemmer, is just reading the news, he doesn't call the shots, IMO he's an innocent.

We need to keep up our guard for the next attack against Ron Paul... Move along... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjaUoR15dU&feature=player_detailpage#t=29s

truthsaga
02-17-2011, 12:23 PM
They don't want to lose the revenue from the "tea party" base, so they had to apologize. Remember, Fox is still a business, and if they continue to see the reaction from actions; like the Ron Paul Deception. They may risk losing viewership which cuts into what they can charge advertisers.

My 2 cents.

Mark37snj
02-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Here is a question I would like answered. The guy who gave both CPAC winning results, did he intentionally wear the same outfit? It was the SAME podium, SAME backdrop, SAME announcer, SAME outfit. Really, what are the odds that those are all coincidences? Many organizers at CPAC are hostile to Ron Paul, what if this was not all just coincidence?

randomname
02-17-2011, 12:58 PM
blowback bitchez!

archangel689
02-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Here is a question I would like answered. The guy who gave both CPAC winning results, did he intentionally wear the same outfit? It was the SAME podium, SAME backdrop, SAME announcer, SAME outfit. Really, what are the odds that those are all coincidences? Many organizers at CPAC are hostile to Ron Paul, what if this was not all just coincidence?

Nah thats a little too much tin foil for me. If they were that smart they wouldnt have gotten caught--they're idiots.

ronpaulhawaii
02-17-2011, 03:31 PM
I wonder that the best thing to do when getting a monster like Fox on the ropes is to pummel them as hard as possible. Not Hemmer, just Fox, and the MSM in general.

There are a few things that widespread exposure does.

1- Shows anti-Pauls as the vocally "rude" ones.
2- In a benefit of the doubt scenario, it shows very shallow journalism. It wasn't like this was just filler video, the booing was the story
3- It will chip away at the confidence of Teo-Con dupes

and finally

4- It gives us lots of places to comment on the upcoming moneybomb

:D

The r3VOLution pwn'd FoxNews - LOL

Brian4Liberty
02-17-2011, 04:35 PM

Don't point out that that guy made fun of, or at least stressed the booing [which didn't happen] and made it the subject of his questions to Ron Paul.

Yep, it was the center of the discussion.

Well, the CPAC 2010 announcement must have been used in the prep for that segment (writing the newsreader's introduction/text that went on the teleprompter), so it couldn't be a last minute "mistake"...

Warrior_of_Freedom
02-17-2011, 04:45 PM
apologize? yeah right. It's like Nelson in the Simpsons saying sorry after beating a kids face in. Then he goes and beats another kids face in 5 minutes later.

Pericles
02-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Roger Ailes was the originator of the "only a crazy person would vote for Perot" line. Similar smear job being stages against RP would not surprise me.

Sola_Fide
02-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Bastards!

Play the 2011 tape!