PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone started organizing groups to attend the first two debates (California & SC)?

BamaFanNKy
02-16-2011, 10:27 PM
May 2, 2011 - A national debate, hosted by the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and NBC.

May 5, 2011 - A South Carolina debate, hosted by the South Carolina Republican Party.

South Carolina will most likely be Fox again.

muzzled dogg
02-16-2011, 10:29 PM
subforum worthy? maybe a single subforum for all debate prep?

BamaFanNKy
02-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Hell, Josh told me to start posting my stuff on here. I may need my own subforum.

mstrmac1
02-16-2011, 10:37 PM
great idea.. bump

sailingaway
02-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Once Ron announces a lot more people will be involved, but no, I don't think anyone has started anything yet. How do we get tickets? I understand they are limited.

BamaFanNKy
02-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Once Ron announces a lot more people will be involved, but no, I don't think anyone has started anything yet. How do we get tickets? I understand they are limited.

You don't wait till he announces. I've not lived in California in years but, It's going to be at the Library. http://www.reaganlibrary.com/ Call and ask.

Thomas
02-16-2011, 11:00 PM
we need a debate subforum!

sailingaway
02-16-2011, 11:04 PM
You don't wait till he announces. I've not lived in California in years but, It's going to be at the Library. http://www.reaganlibrary.com/ Call and ask.

I'm almost certain it doesn't work that way. I'm pretty sure blocks of tickets are allocated. I'll check into it.

sailingaway
02-16-2011, 11:11 PM
How to Attend a Presidential Debate

Use the Commission on Presidential Debates as a resource. The Commission is designed to monitor debates and provide a synapse between the debates and the public. The Commission's website will give you all the information you need to find out about upcoming debates and how to attend them.

Read more: How to Attend a Presidential Debate | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2074749_attend-presidential-debate.html#ixzz1EBqJEDvp

However, the only thing they have up for the 2012 debates is a list of criteria for a site to host them. All they have on tickets is this from 2004:

Debate Ticket Information

Sep 28, 2004

The Commission has received many requests for tickets to attend each of the debates. We are very pleased with the great interest the public has demonstrated in these debates. Please keep in mind that the debates are primarily intended for the television viewing audience and the seating available in the debate halls themselves is very limited. The demand for tickets far exceeds the supply for each debate. If you have not been contacted already concerning tickets, we will be unable to accommodate your request for tickets. We thank you for interest in the debates.

I will call the library tomorrow to see what they have to say, but my understanding is that each candidate gets some tickets and corporate sponsors get blocks of tickets. I've never gone, though, I just think I read that somewhere.

This does seem to confirm that all tickets must first pass through the commission:

No debate tickets are available for the public through Washington University. All tickets that may come to the University are exclusively reserved for our students. All tickets are assigned by the Commission on Presidential Debates, and the majority of these tickets go to the two campaigns for distribution to their supporters. Any tickets not used by the CPD or the campaigns are expected go to the winners of the WUSTL student lottery the evening of the debate. Administrators, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, and the public will not receive any tickets given to the University.
[regarding a specific University based debate.]

http://debate.wustl.edu/tickets.html

justinc.1089
02-16-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm in SC. I can organize some people to go!

I'm planning on going myself anyway. Should I start trying to get Paul supporters together to go to the actual debate inside?

Because the last time when I went to a debate I actually went and was in the audience, and I felt like it was a waste of time and that there was way more that could be accomplished *outside* of the debate.

Plus, I want to hunt down where Shawn Hannity will be doing after debate interviews so that I can be sure Paul supporters can be there afterwards, to do what I don't know. You guys give me ideas about what should be done if I can find and can get to where Hannity will be doing interviews after the debate.

I ask what to do because my guess is it will be inside where it will be impossible to do sign waving behind him.

Bergie Bergeron
02-16-2011, 11:31 PM

I'm planning on going myself anyway. Should I start trying to get Paul supporters together to go to the actual debate inside?

Because the last time when I went to a debate I actually went and was in the audience, and I felt like it was a waste of time and that there was way more that could be accomplished *outside* of the debate.

Plus, I want to hunt down where Shawn Hannity will be doing after debate interviews so that I can be sure Paul supporters can be there afterwards, to do what I don't know. You guys give me ideas about what should be done if I can find and can get to where Hannity will be doing interviews after the debate.

I ask what to do because my guess is it will be inside where it will be impossible to do sign waving behind him.
The response from the audience at the debates is just as important as the debate itself. Same things goes for CPAC and the announcement of the winner.

muzzled dogg
02-16-2011, 11:34 PM

justin check this. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?279886-HELP%E2%80%A6-I-have-an-idea...-but-I-need-a-grassroots-volunteer-from-every-state...

south carolina is big

justinc.1089
02-16-2011, 11:46 PM
I don't know, is the audience applause really actually important in debates???

I mean the audience actually can't even hardly hear what the candidates say if the audio for the actual live audience is as bad at most debates as it was at the SC debate I went too. I couldn't even hear what Paul was saying while I was there, so I didn't even know when to applaud or boo honestly. I couldn't hardly see much either. And to me, it felt like the audience was just generally applauding now and then, and only applauded for specific things said by specific candidates a few times.

I actually wonder if applause is not added in by Fox after somehow. I don't see how that would be possible live though. It was probably just the debate I was at that had such bad audio I guess, but I don't think the audience could hear anymore than I could, especially since there were tons of old people there.

But if you guys think its that important to have people in the audience, I will get as many people in there as I can. Personally I think we can accomplish more outside of the debate through sign waving and passing out material to the crowds there.

And yeah, I know SC is big. I don't think a candidate has ever won the Republican nomination without winning South Carolina.

BamaFanNKy
02-16-2011, 11:54 PM
The debate reaction IS big. Also, outside is big.

Sean Hannity needs to be left alone.

You won't get to him anyway, usually in the "Spin Room" where media does interviews.

Sailing, I think you can contact GOP but, in Kentucky we had quite a few in 2000 VP debates get in through calling host.

sailingaway
02-16-2011, 11:57 PM
The debate reaction IS big. Also, outside is big.

Sean Hannity needs to be left alone.

You won't get to him anyway, usually in the "Spin Room" where media does interviews.

Sailing, I think you can contact GOP but, in Kentucky we had quite a few in 2000 VP debates get in through calling host.

I WILL try, I just don't expect that to work, but I'd be happy to be surprised. 2000 was before 9/11 and for security if nothing else, I think they've tightened everything up. And it's always relatively tight at the Reagan Library.

justinc.1089
02-17-2011, 12:06 AM
How do I go about getting tickets? I doubt they're selling them yet right? Should I contact Campaign for Liberty about it?

And realistically, how many people should we be attempting to get into that debate?

I need to go find out where the debate is at in Greenville so I can find out how many people will be in the audience. That should help give us an idea of how many people we would need to get into the audience. Once we know that I can help do my part to get supporters from around Horry county to the debate.

BamaFanNKy
02-17-2011, 12:11 AM
I WILL try, I just don't expect that to work, but I'd be happy to be surprised. 2000 was before 9/11 and for security if nothing else, I think they've tightened everything up. And it's always relatively tight at the Reagan Library.

NAY NAY My friend. 2000 debates were nuts. You had protesters at each one and this was during the "Let Nader debate" stuff was going on. I was shocked they got them.

BamaFanNKy
02-17-2011, 12:12 AM
How do I go about getting tickets? I doubt they're selling them yet right? Should I contact Campaign for Liberty about it?

And realistically, how many people should we be attempting to get into that debate?

I need to go find out where the debate is at in Greenville so I can find out how many people will be in the audience. That should help give us an idea of how many people we would need to get into the audience. Once we know that I can help do my part to get supporters from around Horry county to the debate.

Everyone should try to get tix but, be prepared to do groundwork outside if you don't get in. Talk to local media, and cluster in groups to show "Big groups" of support.

college4life
02-17-2011, 12:13 AM
when will candidates start announcing? some have hinted they may wait until may to announce, I'm starting to think the debates will be pushed back

BamaFanNKy
02-17-2011, 12:16 AM
when will candidates start announcing? some have hinted they may wait until may to announce, I'm starting to think the debates will be pushed back

April it will be a free for all.

JoshLowry
02-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Subforum created.

college4life
02-17-2011, 12:50 AM
hey josh, do you have any info on how to get to debates? id like to go to the one in SC but i'm not a TBTF banker or anything that fancy so I may not qualify?

It's weird how debates are in 10 weeks and nobody has even declared (maybe herman cain)

justinc.1089
02-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the subforum.

The Greenville debate is at the Greenville Peace Center by the way.