PDA

View Full Version : Gov't worker dies at desk. Nobody notices until next day

Expatriate
02-16-2011, 05:20 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/woman-dies-desk-video-2011-2

Sad, but... is this a sign of something?

A 51-year-old woman, Rebecca Wells, who worked in the risk management division of the LA County Department of Internal Services, died while working in her cubicle on Friday. Her body was not discovered until the next afternoon, when a security guard found her slumped over at her desk.

The last time a co-worker saw her alive was Friday morning, at 9AM.

"She was always working," said a co-worker.

County coroners are not yet able to say how she died (though no one believes it was foul play.)

Video of the report below.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/woman-dies-desk-video-2011-2#ixzz1EAQ4be13

ItsTime
02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
The comments are brutal lol

MelissaWV
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Eh... there are people who I could think could die at work and people wouldn't notice necessarily. It depends where her desk/cubicle was situated, and how independently she usually worked. If she usually worked late no one would think anything of her car in the parking lot/garage, and if she took lunch alone no one would think that unusual.

aGameOfThrones
02-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Like this?...

ATTENTION EMPLOYEES: Employees who have been dying at work have been failing to fall down. This practice must cease as it becomes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of the staff.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: Employees who fail to fall down upon death will be suspended without pay.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/woman-dies-desk-video-2011-2#ixzz1EAebvh1T

LOL

QueenB4Liberty
02-16-2011, 06:21 PM

I'm loling.

devil21
02-16-2011, 06:40 PM
I find this extremely believable. I used to work for a county government and the amount of useless workers doing nothing and collecting a check behind a closed door somewhere was amazing.

squarepusher
02-16-2011, 06:44 PM
I find this extremely believable. I used to work for a county government and the amount of useless workers doing nothing and collecting a check behind a closed door somewhere was amazing.

lol, and subsequent pension

amy31416
02-16-2011, 06:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKmU_HpTwCs

lx43
02-16-2011, 10:28 PM
ATTENTION EMPLOYEES: Employees who have been dying at work have been failing to fall down. This practice must cease as it becomes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of the staff.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: Employees who fail to fall down upon death will be suspended without pay.

This one was the best. lol

Tonewah
02-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Sad. I think it says something about the impersonality of government that no one checked on this person. I can't imagine a workplace in the private sector where someone doesn't at least pop their head in once in a while to check the status of some work you are doing, or just to do watercooler talk.

How tragic. Her co-workers said she was always working. Sadly, in government, often one person is tasked with doing the jobs of many, while others who should have been assigned those tasks mill about doing nothing.

MelissaWV
02-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Sad. I think it says something about the impersonality of government that no one checked on this person. I can't imagine a workplace in the private sector where someone doesn't at least pop their head in once in a while to check the status of some work you are doing, or just to do watercooler talk.

How tragic. Her co-workers said she was always working. Sadly, in government, often one person is tasked with doing the jobs of many, while others who should have been assigned those tasks mill about doing nothing.

Good God. I would shoot myself if my co-workers popped in to "check up on me" or whatever. The watercooler talk is wretched :(

Thankfully, my co-workers have days where they politely take their yammering out of earshot. I'd rather keel over at my desk than have to endure it.

Teaser Rate
02-17-2011, 07:58 PM

This situation says more about the state of the modern office structure than it does about the state of government. It could have easily occurred in a firm in the private sector.

AFPVet
02-17-2011, 08:56 PM
This situation says more about the state of the modern office structure than it does about the state of government. It could have easily occurred in a firm in the private sector.

Yes. People are literally dieing from stress related conditions. In fact, most diseases can be traced back to stress as being the root causation. This is why stress/anxiety management is vital in today's society. RELAX!!!

oyarde
02-19-2011, 03:05 PM
OK , I will play , wth is "risk management" ?