PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's introduction in the debates

Sean
10-23-2007, 05:52 AM
Who is responsible for Ron Paul's introduction in the debates? "Former libertarian presidential candidate." This is right off the bat telling the audience that he is not a Republican. It should be 10 term Republican congressman, which is his real political accomplishment. You don't see Rudy introduced as a former member of the Democratic party, mayor of NYC .

Noog
10-23-2007, 05:54 AM
Who is responsible for Ron Paul's introduction in the debates?

FOX... nuff said

Sean
10-23-2007, 05:57 AM
If I am not mistaken it happens in other debates also.

kylejack
10-23-2007, 06:15 AM
I don't mind it so much. It tells people what he's all about. Nobody else really has that benefit.

perpetualstateofwar
10-23-2007, 06:20 AM
I hate when they say he's really a libertarian not a Republican. His views are very Republican minus the current Neocon foreign policy. Why don't they say Rudy is more of a Democrat than a Republican? After all he's pro abortion, anti 2nd amendment, and made NYC a sanctuary city.

kylejack
10-23-2007, 06:23 AM
I hate when they say he's really a libertarian not a Republican. His views are very Republican minus the current Neocon foreign policy. Why don't they say Rudy is more of a Democrat than a Republican? After all he's pro abortion, anti 2nd amendment, and made NYC a sanctuary city.

I don't think they ever say he's not a Republican, rather than the random blogger and forum post, but who cares about that crap, you know?

Sean
10-23-2007, 06:27 AM

I agree and Rudy use to be a Democrat.

PMatt
10-23-2007, 06:28 AM
Who is responsible for Ron Paul's introduction in the debates? "Former libertarian presidential candidate." This is right off the bat telling the audience that he is not a Republican. It should be 10 term Republican congressman, which is his real political accomplishment. You don't see Rudy introduced as a former member of the Democratic party, mayor of NYC .

I almost started a thread with the exact same thing you just said.

kylejack
10-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Guys, being a libertartian is not a shameful thing, and having the word "libertarian" said repeatedly on TV will help libertarianism, not hurt it. Remember what Ronald Reagan said to Reason Magazine in 1975: "I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism."

Check out that interview: http://www.reason.com/news/show/29318.html Its pretty great.

perpetualstateofwar
10-23-2007, 06:38 AM
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. But he is running in the Republican Primary and will need support from Republicans if he is going to win the nomination. I see the constant references to him really being a Libertarian as a tactic to try and confuse people or cast doubt as to what he believes in.

Keith
10-23-2007, 06:51 AM
I think they should always introduce him as the Champion of the Constitution, but considering how they treat him all around we are just lucky they don't introduce him as the candidate who can't possibly win.

Channing
10-23-2007, 07:11 AM
but considering how they treat him all around we are just lucky they don't introduce him as the candidate who can't possibly win.

They try that too, only with questions later on in the interview, such as: "What are you going to do when you don't win".

They're going to try every trick in the book to discredit Dr. Paul. The mass media are utterly corrupt and only serve the big interests.

What we've got to do is not to try and change the mass media but outcompete them. Let the mass media show their true colors for everyone to see.

kylejack
10-23-2007, 07:19 AM
They try that too, only with questions later on in the interview, such as: "What are you going to do when you don't win".

Oddly enough, they finally stopped asking that. Man, was it annoying.

Bradley in DC
10-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Dr Paul ran for president previously, he's running now. It's relevant.

DrNoZone
10-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Guys, being a libertartian is not a shameful thing, and having the word "libertarian" said repeatedly on TV will help libertarianism, not hurt it. Remember what Ronald Reagan said to Reason Magazine in 1975: "I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism."

We're not trying to help libertarianism, we're trying to help Ron Paul get elected on the REPUBLICAN ticket.

I agree, it seems they're doing this to discredit him as much as possible. No conspiracy, just lazy, biased media.

freelance
10-23-2007, 07:58 AM
It may be irrelevant now, but the public hears "some other party that they've never even heard of."

I'm just guessing that the campaign doesn't have control over the exact verbiage that the networks use, and his 1988 run is a legitimate part of his bio. They simply choose to broadcast whatever detracts from his Republican credentials.

kylejack
10-23-2007, 07:59 AM
We're not trying to help libertarianism, we're trying to help Ron Paul get elected on the REPUBLICAN ticket.
I'm doing both. Besides, like I said, Republican hero Reagan said that libertarianism is the heart of conservatism.

NinjaPirate
10-23-2007, 08:01 AM
It's a Republican debate, so I think people know what party he is in. :p

speciallyblend
10-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Ok Peoples.I'm a registered republican,the only thing that sells Ron pauls message in Colorado,is when he mentions, he believes in the Constitution and ,the fact he is a libertarian thinker. If it wasnt for his libertarian leanings,most i know wouldnt bother even listening as soon as you mention the word republican. ..

I'm begininng to think many republicans are just clueless.If the GOP doesnt nominate Ron Paul,the GOP will lose period. every swing voter i know surely isnt thinking hey im going to vote republican,they are not voting republican unless Ron Paul is the nominee.

I can promise you this ,if the gop mocks and ignores Ron Paul Message,the GOP will lose the election the day they pick their candidate,unless of course its Ron Paul... My republican vote is hanging by a thread, GOP;) the ball is in your court,dont blow it;)

RON PAUL 2008

aksmith
10-23-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm doing both. Besides, like I said, Republican hero Reagan said that libertarianism is the heart of conservatism.

But Reagan was LYING. Try to recognize irony when you see it.

aksmith
10-23-2007, 08:49 AM

They are still asking this question. "Will you support the nominee of the Republican Party?"

Answer: Yes, I believe Americans are still allowed to vote for themselves.

End of interview, in most cases.

Seriously, he really needs to stop answering the "will you support the nominee" question.

kylejack
10-23-2007, 08:49 AM
But Reagan was LYING. Try to recognize irony when you see it.

Explain.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-23-2007, 09:27 AM
He is the only candidate that was ever nominated by a political party for POTUS, so doesn't that show electability? lol

ConstitutionGal
10-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Did anyone else notice that about half-way through the "debate" Fox started putting little blurbs on-screen when the candidates were speaking that supposedly relected their backgournds? Dr. Paul's didn't mention his military service nor the fact that he's a 10-term congressman while every little 'fact' about the "frontrunners" that could be squeezed on the screen was used.

kylejack
10-23-2007, 09:33 AM
He is the only candidate that was ever nominated by a political party for POTUS, so doesn't that show electability? lol

LOL, no, because its a party that can't get anyone elected into a significant position. ;)

justinc.1089
10-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Ok Peoples.I'm a registered republican,the only thing that sells Ron pauls message in Colorado,is when he mentions, he believes in the Constitution and ,the fact he is a libertarian thinker. If it wasnt for his libertarian leanings,most i know wouldnt bother even listening as soon as you mention the word republican. ..

I'm begininng to think many republicans are just clueless.If the GOP doesnt nominate Ron Paul,the GOP will lose period. every swing voter i know surely isnt thinking hey im going to vote republican,they are not voting republican unless Ron Paul is the nominee.

I can promise you this ,if the gop mocks and ignores Ron Paul Message,the GOP will lose the election the day they pick their candidate,unless of course its Ron Paul... My republican vote is hanging by a thread, GOP;) the ball is in your court,dont blow it;)

RON PAUL 2008

Yeah thats absolutely true, Paul is the only person that can beat Clinton. Their own polls even show no one else can beat her. But I don't think they care, they're too power hungry. They would rather have Clinton in than not get their way by having Paul in as their nominee.

And as for them introducing him as Libertarian, yes, they need to stop. Sure it helps the Libertarian party, but it hurts Ron Paul because most people either don't know about the Libertarian party, or they think of it as being some pro-drug party full of hippies and stuff lol. Thats what I thought about it before I knew much about it, that it was basically a political front for drug rings to lobby in congress, so a lot of other people think that too probably.

But since when does the media treat Paul fairly anyway? I mean do you really think the purpose of news is to tell people whats going on in the world factually? We all know the purpose of news is to tell people what to do about whats happening, not actually just what is happening.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-23-2007, 09:40 AM
LOL, no, because its a party that can't get anyone elected into a significant position. ;)

Yeah, what a lousy crop. Does the party itself spend money for its candidates or do they leave it to the candidates?