PDA

View Full Version : Lt.Gov Cell Phone # -- Because he wants your DNA

Matt Collins
02-16-2011, 12:01 PM
This e-mail contains the personal e-mail address and cell phone number of Tennessee's Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey. We want you to use it to pressure him to stop from greatly expanding the government. We can kill this encroachment of power but only with your help. Lt Gov Ramsey doesn't even know the ramifications of his own bill. This is VERY dangerous.

But first, let us tell you why....

Blogger Ken Marrero’s Blue Collar Muse / TN ConserVOLiance http://bluecollarmuse.com (http://bluecollarmuse.com/) hosted a conference call last evening with Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey over the DNA issue. This e-mail is about some of the appalling ignorance and arrogant statements the Lt Governor said during this call. In case you are unaware Lt. Governor Ramsey submitted a bill and wants to store the personal DNA of everyone arrested for a felony in a statewide database. That database is likely shared with the federal government.
There are several problems with this as one political commentator called it "the worst bill of the year". If you listen to the recording of the conference call even Lt Governor Ramsey isn't completely sold on the idea, even though he is the one who is sponsoring it!

Although you may never plan on getting arrested it still affects you because you might be suspected and arrested for a crime even if completely innocent; it happens all the time. Think of all the things the government can learn about you from your DNA, do you really want them to have it even if you have nothing to hide?

First and foremost Ron Ramsey's bill is unconstitutional. Both the US Constitution in the 4th Amendment, and the TN Constitution in Art 1 Sec 7 (http://www.tncrimlaw.com/law/constit/I.html#7) prohibit these kind of searches. But Lt. Governor Ramsey doesn’t seem to understand this nor does he care. In fact when asked about “Where in the TN Constitution is this authorized?” he REFUSED to answer the question and tried to divert attention of his glaring ignorance by answering a question with another question a common tactic among slick politicians. Ken Marreo even says of Ramsey’s question avoidance tactic “that’s not necessarily a fair a question. The fair question is if we have followed proper Constitutional procedure? ” which of course never gets answered by the Lt. Governor either.

Ramsey later went on to say that “These are good philosophical questions, but I haven’t studied Constitutional law”. THIS IS SHOCKING! Our Lt. Governor, the 2nd highest officer in the State, hasn’t studied the Constitution; and he admits this??! He even repeated it again by saying “I don’t know the right constitutional issues” [with this bill]!!!

One major concern echoed repeatedly during the call by the grassroots activists is that the federal government will get their hands on the DNA of those who are suspected of a crime. In another stunning display of ignorance Lt. Governor Ramsey said that he “doesn’t know what the federal DNA policy is” as it relates to what the States do. In fact this was a third question that he refused to answer. He only says that the DNA records are “not stored in a national database”. However if the Feds connect their computers to the TBI computers, it wouldn’t be very hard for the Feds to copy the TBI database with or without the permission of the TBI. Ron Ramsey trusts the federal government too much and is ignorant of how government actually functions.

Richard Esparza of the TN Liberty Alliance (http://www.tnliberty.org/) in the Knoxville area asked the Lt. Governor “How do we know if the federal government is to operate the way they are supposed to? ” and as expected Ramsey answers “I dunno…”

When asked about federal operations inside of the borders of TN regarding the Department of Homeland Security and FEMA he was clueless too -- this is important because these organizations interact routinely with the TBI who will be handling the DNA database.

Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey continued to plead ignorance saying that he only “understands the argument a little bit” about the concerns of expansion of government that his bill could bring. He also doesn’t understand due process and how the courts work. In a failed attempted to bolster support he made the statement that DNA could “prove someone’s innocent”. While this sounds nice, the default assumption is that everyone is innocent, until the State proves then guilty!!! This is critical to understand if one is to live in a free society with the rule of law. Lt Gov Ramsey has it backward and is operating on the assumption that everyone is guilty until proven innocent. This is reminiscent of the way that the Soviets and Nazis ruled their countries.

The fact is that Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey wants to expedite government efficiency by sacrificing due process and liberty. “I see the concern but I don’t see how it’s really practical” he says. Ron Ramsey is dangerous because he puts government before liberty!

But there are other problems with this bill besides Ron Ramsey's complete and total lack of understanding about due process, liberty, and the Constitution.

After almost every tragedy governments seek to grab power. The happened with the Brady Bill, after 9/11 via the PATRIOT Act, and now Ron Ramsey is trying to grab power after a personal friend was affected by a tragedy. Sadly this bill would not have prevented the crime against his family friend.

The TN Constitution says that individuals have a right to be secure in their persons against unreasonable searches. Forcefully taking one’s DNA from them while they are still presumed innocent, without a warrant, is an unreasonable search because there is no reason for it. It’s a dragnet, or fishing expedition, which is what the Founders were seeking to prohibit (look up "Writs of Assistance" that were used in colonial America; it's one of the leading causes of the Revolution). Any search conducted by the government must be tied to the crime. Yes there must be probable cause for arrest but that does not equate to probable cause to search everything. For example, someone who is arrested for drunk driving is not allowed to have the government search their house just because they were arrested for drunk driving, unless of course there is a warrant issued based upon probable cause.

But more disturbing is that Lt. Governor is advocating Obama’s policies here in Tennessee. Why is he on the side of the President? See this: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/obama-supports-dna-sampling-upon-arrest/ After all President Obama wants a DNA database too. Can we trust the President with it? Can we trust Lt Governor Ramsey with it either? Remember this is the same guy who tried to trick the voters by attempting to posturing himself as the conservative tea party candidate when he really is a big-government Republican.

Although directly unrelated to the subject at hand but discussed on the conference call and worth mentioning was one of his most glaring moments demonstrating his lack of understanding of the workings of government. Ramsey said “I didn’t know they made growing tomatoes [in your own backyard] a felony” he laughs. After he realizes that no one else was laughing he said that “I really want to know why growing tomatoes is a felony”. He continued to say that “[I] if I grow tomatoes in my backyard the Feds are going to come in and bust me”. But apparently he has never heard of the infamous court case Wickard v Filburn taught to every first semester law student about the expansive growth of the federal government. You can and should read a summary of it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn In brief, Wickard v Filburn was a court case that held the federal government could indeed arrest you for violating laws that prohibit you from growing your own food in your own yard. Also recently passed in a similar vein was the Food Safety Bill which has a whole host of restrictive legislation for those who grow their own foods: http://www.lewrockwell.com/rep/food-safety-bill-dangerous-for-economy.html How can Ron Ramsey be this ignorant of the law?! This is definitely his "LET THEM EAT CAKE" moment.

http://tncampaignforliberty.org/misc/ramsey.jpg

We never ask you to "take our word for it" so we urge you to listen to the conference call last night unedited and uncensored so that you can hear Lt Governor's appalling ignorance for yourself. It is worth it, you may do so by clicking on this link: http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TC-94543/TS-452039.mp3

If you don't want the government to expand and store your DNA, we can put a stop to this. But it will take work and effort. It's imperative that you take action on this now! If you have already sent e-mails and made phone calls, DO IT AGAIN! Keep contacting him until he gets the point. Be relentless and bold.

At the end of the conference call Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey did say that “[I]I’m open to good discussion on this”. So we want you to call him and discuss it. Specifically ask him to pull the bill, or to ensure that it is killed in committee. Please do so as soon as possible because this number will probably be changed very soon after this e-mail is released. Below is how to get a hold of him...

Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey:
Personal cell phone: 423-340-8700 (tel:4233408700) (leave a voice mail - if it's full, call back the next day or later in the night)
Personal e-mail address: ltgovramsey@aol.com

Also please post on his Facebook pages your thoughts about this so that others can see:
http://www.facebook.com/teamronramsey
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1696352714

Be sure to copy the following e-mail addresses too:
lt.gov.ron.ramsey@capitol.tn.gov (his official address)
will.canterbury@legislature.state.tn.us (the business address of his top aide)
willcanterbury@gmail.com (the personal address of his top aide)

And if you can't get him on his cell phone, call his office phone numbers:
(423) 323-8700
(615) 741-4524

Matt Collins
02-16-2011, 12:02 PM
If anyone would be willing to call and e-mail this guy, it would be helpful.

jmdrake
02-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Oh good grief! I hate I couldn't get on the conference call. (I'm signed up to the list now so next time one of these things happens I'll be ready).

Oh, and this is a red herring from our Lt Governor.

Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey continued to plead ignorance saying that he only “understands the argument a little bit” about the concerns of expansion of government that his bill could bring. He also doesn’t understand due process and how the courts work. In a failed attempted to bolster support he made the statement that DNA could “prove someone’s innocent”. While this sounds nice, the default assumption is that everyone is innocent, until the State proves then guilty!!! This is critical to understand if one is to live in a free society with the rule of law. Lt Gov Ramsey has it backward and is operating on the assumption that everyone is guilty until proven innocent. This is reminiscent of the way that the Soviets and Nazis ruled their countries.

Someone being allowed to introduce DNA evidence in their own defense and being compelled to give it are two different things. Using his stupid logic, the 5th amendment protection against forced testimony should be done away with because sometimes you might want to testify in your own defense. Besides, if you've been arrested for some non violent felony like credit card fraud how is DNA evidence going to clear you anyway? And if DNA evidence is applicable to the specific crime you've been arrested for then the state already has probable cause to get a warrant to required to to submit DNA evidence anyway! :mad: :mad: :mad: These people think we're stupid. I'm glad Ramsey lost his bid to be governor. Haslam might be just as bad too, but Ramsey would have had some people who consider themselves 'conservatives" cheering because he wears that mantle. At least conservatives aren't dumb enough to trust Haslam and that's a good thing.