PDA

View Full Version : How viable is it to get the LGBT movement to vote Liberty?

BamaFanNKy
02-16-2011, 07:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWaLQsy_5ck&feature=player_embedded#at=192

sailingaway
02-16-2011, 08:38 AM
I don't know that their views are consistent within the group on anything but gay issues. I'm sure some are open to it, others likely not so much. GOProud invited TRUMP to CPAC, if you recall. (And he repaid them by coming out against gay marriage on TV yesterday....)

Our candidates are consistent, but it is going to depend on the individual's priorities if they appreciate that or not.

BamaFanNKy
02-16-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't know that their views are consistent within the group on anything but gay issues.

I don't get this statement. Being gay is not a political thing. It's like being black, doesn't make you Democrat.

erowe1
02-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Being gay is not a political thing.

But you didn't say "gay," you said "the LGBT movement." What did you mean by that? It sounds like a political thing to me.

Elwar
02-16-2011, 09:41 AM
It's not only possible, but I believe it's necessary to bring in LBGT to the Republican Party to push the social nazis to the Democrat Party.

The Democrat Party can be the authoritarian party and the Republican Party can become the libertarian party. Makes things a bit more clear cut instead of this "I support smaller government for here, but in this area I want the government to be bloated and out of control" which leads to comprimise of bigger government in all areas.

BamaFanNKy
02-16-2011, 09:44 AM
But you didn't say "gay," you said "the LGBT movement." What did you mean by that? It sounds like a political thing to me.

Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Transgender. It's basically people who have sex different than the majority. So, why wouldn't some be fiscally conservative and willing to follow the constitution is my question.

amy31416
02-16-2011, 09:45 AM
(And he repaid them by coming out against gay marriage on TV yesterday....)

Seriously?

erowe1
02-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Transgender. It's basically people who have sex different than the majority. So, why wouldn't some be fiscally conservative and willing to follow the constitution is my question.

I know what the letters stand for. But you also said "movement."

erowe1
02-16-2011, 10:15 AM
It's not only possible, but I believe it's necessary to bring in LBGT to the Republican Party to push the social nazis to the Democrat Party.

No way. The social conservatives are the closest allies we have. The part of the Republican coalition we need to get rid of is the neoconservatives. And the segment of the Democrat coalition that is really most ripe to joining us is among ethnic minorities, especially socially conservative ones.

BamaFanNKy
02-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I know what the letters stand for. But you also said "movement."

I meant the politically active gay community.

erowe1
02-16-2011, 10:28 AM
I meant the politically active gay community.

Ok. But the thing is there are some conservative, constitutional, and libertarian gay individuals now. Some support RP.

But it seems to me that there's also a politically active LGBT movement right now. And that movement, as a movement, is the exact opposite. Hoping for that movement to adopt a small-government agenda is to hope for it to become the opposite of what it is.

tangent4ronpaul
02-16-2011, 10:30 AM
The politically active gay community tends to side with the left and vote Dem in order to get "special" rights via hate crime legislation.

Being open to them could win over a lot of left leaning people, but not necessarily that many gays.

-t

sailingaway
02-16-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't get this statement. Being gay is not a political thing. It's like being black, doesn't make you Democrat.

Lesbian Gay Bi Transgender is the acronym you used. I shortened it. However, I think they do define their issues for that movement, and while being gay is not a political thing, my understanding is that they focus on issues specifically as they impact lesbian gay bi transgender communities. They as individuals I am sure have many other issues, which was my point, which is why I don't think you can lump them together in liking the freedom movement or not. It is more like the tea party people are diverse but when they are speaking qua tea party, they are focused on size of government and fiscal issues. It is like asking if they are pro or anti war; you will find tea partiers all over the map on that.

BamaFanNKy
02-16-2011, 10:41 AM
I did botch the question. I meant the community of individuals.