PDA

View Full Version : Decentralizing the Internet So Big Brother Can’t Find You

ClayTrainor
02-16-2011, 02:50 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/nyregion/16about.html?_r=2

On Tuesday afternoon, as Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton spoke in Washington about the Internet and human liberty, a Columbia law professor in Manhattan, Eben Moglen, was putting together a shopping list to rebuild the Internet — this time, without governments and big companies able to watch every twitch of our fingers.

Almost anyone could have one of these tiny servers, which are now produced for limited purposes but could be adapted to a full range of Internet applications, he said.

“They will get very cheap, very quick,” Mr. Moglen said. “They’re $99; they will go to $69. Once everyone is getting them, they will cost $29.”

The missing ingredients are software packages, which are available at no cost but have to be made easy to use. “You would have a whole system with privacy and security built in for the civil world we are living in,” he said. “It stores everything you care about.”

Put free software into the little plug server in the wall, and you would have a Freedom Box that would decentralize information and power, Mr. Moglen said. This month, he created the Freedom Box Foundation to organize the software.

“We have to aim our engineering more directly at politics now,” he said. “What has happened in Egypt is enormously inspiring, but the Egyptian state was late to the attempt to control the Net and not ready to be as remorseless as it could have been.”

Not many law professors have Mr. Moglen’s credentials as lawyer and geek, or, for that matter, his record as an early advocate for what looked like very long shots.

Growing up on the West Side of Manhattan, he began fooling around with computers as a boy. In 1973, at age 14, he was employed writing programs for the Scientific Time Sharing Corporation. At 26, he was a young lawyer, clerking for Justice Thurgood Marshall. Later, he got a Ph.D. in history from Yale. He was also the lawyer for the Free Software Foundation, headed by Richard M. Stallman, which aggressively — and successfully — protected the ability of computer scientists, hackers and hobbyists to build software that was not tied up by copyright, licensing and patents.

In the first days of the personal computer era, many scoffed at the idea that free software could have an important place in the modern world. Today, it is the digital genome for millions of phones, printers, cameras, MP3 players, televisions, the Pentagon, the New York Stock Exchange and the computers that underpin Google’s empire.

This month, Mr. Moglen, who now runs the Software Freedom Law Center, spoke to a convention of 2,000 free-software programmers in Brussels, urging them to get to work on the Freedom Box.

Social networking has changed the balance of political power, he said, “but everything we know about technology tells us that the current forms of social network communication, despite their enormous current value for politics, are also intensely dangerous to use. They are too centralized; they are too vulnerable to state retaliation and control.”

In January, investors were said to have put a value of about $50 billion on Facebook, the social network founded by Mark Zuckerberg. If revolutions for freedom rest on the shoulders of Facebook, Mr. Moglen said, the revolutionaries will have to count on individuals who have huge stakes in keeping the powerful happy.

“It is not hard, when everybody is just in one big database controlled by Mr. Zuckerberg, to decapitate a revolution by sending an order to Mr. Zuckerberg that he cannot afford to refuse,” Mr. Moglen said.

By contrast, with tens of thousands of individual encrypted servers, there would be no one place where a repressive government could find out who was publishing or reading “subversive” material.

In response to Mr. Moglen’s call for help, a group of developers working in a free operating system called Debian have started to organize Freedom Box software. Four students from New York University who heard a talk by Mr. Moglen last year have been building a decentralized social network called Diaspora.

Mr. Moglen said that if he could raise “slightly north of $500,000,” Freedom Box 1.0 would be ready in one year.

“We should make this far better for the people trying to make change than for the people trying to make oppression,” Mr. Moglen said. “Being connected works.”

:cool:

JoshLowry
02-16-2011, 02:56 AM
Thanks for posting. I find this topic highly interesting.

sharpsteve2003
02-16-2011, 02:57 AM
I'll take 2 please.

lynnf
02-16-2011, 03:23 AM
Thanks for posting. I find this topic highly interesting.

me, too. cross-posting.

lynn

roho76
02-16-2011, 04:07 AM
Does this use existing ISP infrastructure? If so, then it's useless.

lynnf
02-16-2011, 05:10 AM

nm

awake
02-16-2011, 05:55 AM
I toldja it would come... The outer net.

leonster
02-16-2011, 06:10 AM

So wait... what is the answer to this question? I'm curious. Sounds great, but I'm not sure I understand how the technology will work since we would still have to use existing phone lines/cable, right?

Nate-ForLiberty
02-16-2011, 06:44 AM
So wait... what is the answer to this question? I'm curious. Sounds great, but I'm not sure I understand how the technology will work since we would still have to use existing phone lines/cable, right?

I wonder if it can be combined with the ad-hoc internet tech. Where was that article?

Freedom 4 all
02-16-2011, 07:35 AM
If this guy doesn't get assassinated within the next year, I'd say it's probably a scam.

TonySutton
02-16-2011, 07:49 AM
I think combining this with a wireless router network would defeat shutting down the internet in urban areas. Not sure where they are actually going with this. Reading more...

pcosmar
02-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Well this seems to be a new project hoping to pull other projects together, like distributed DNS or cloud computing and it is tapping the open source community.
This will be interesting to watch.
http://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/

Travlyr
02-16-2011, 09:26 AM
I toldja it would come... The outer net.

Yes! The Outer Net! :cool:

Pericles
02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
This is the real issue - connectivity. All of the other stuff you need - IP address space or DNS can be redone and decentralized using the existing hardware and infrastructure, but the challenge is the bandwidth. The need is for digital trunks under individual control or under the control of entities not subject to interference.

hazek
02-16-2011, 10:40 AM
If you want an independent access you need your very own infrastructure. I don't think a little box provides just that?

ChaosControl
02-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Once again, decentralization is the key to liberty.

An eternal decentralized internet, something the authoritarians couldn't touch. It is good to see some hope in the middle of all the trash going on.

osan
02-16-2011, 03:45 PM
:cool:

I must be missing something here - servers are not the issue. Anyone can run a server on the cheapest laptop. The issue is the network. Without control over your network transport function, you got nothing. Zip. Zero, Nada, Zilch, Nichts, Semmi, Nyichevo, Mu, Tween.

That said, there is technology for running networks over electrical wires, but without repeaters range would be a few miles at best. One can set up a switch and connect via wireless, but FCC controls that and if you broadcast w/o a license they will raid you and put your hide into a cell.

The salient problem here is how to connect everyone in such a way that central control is taken from the transport providers. Other than wireless I am not sure what other possibilities might be viable.

Pericles
02-16-2011, 03:48 PM
I must be missing something here - servers are not the issue. Anyone can run a server on the cheapest laptop. The issue is the network. Without control over your network transport function, you got nothing. Zip. Zero, Nada, Zilch, Nichts, Semmi, Nyichevo, Mu, Tween.

That said, there is technology for running networks over electrical wires, but without repeaters range would be a few miles at best. One can set up a switch and connect via wireless, but FCC controls that and if you broadcast w/o a license they will raid you and put your hide into a cell.

The salient problem here is how to connect everyone in such a way that central control is taken from the transport providers. Other than wireless I am not sure what other possibilities might be viable.
Exactly.

HOLLYWOOD
02-16-2011, 03:58 PM
One of many apps...

dd-wrt: Turn your $20 DSL/Cable Modem into a $600 Router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

DD-WRT is a Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware suitable for a great variety of WLAN routers and embedded systems. The main emphasis lies on providing the easiest possible handling while at the same time supporting a great number of functionalities within the framework of the respective hardware platform used.

DD-WRT Privacy

Privacy is something that's mostly non-existant on the Internet. Many services are trying to track your surfing behavior or block access to the sites you want to see. DD-WRT Privacy gives you back your freedom of choice and allows you to surf the Internet with a higher level of privacy.
DD-WRT Privacy is based on AnchorFree's technology and it is absolutely free. The required infrastructure is provided and maintained by AnchoFree Inc. To keep the service free advertisement will be unobtrusively displayed while you are surfing the Internet.