PDA

View Full Version : cspan now - defund selective service - Live 12:45am

tekkierich
02-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Rep Peter DeFazio (D) and Ron Paul are offering an amendment to defund the Selective service

tekkierich
02-15-2011, 11:47 PM
great tv, hope everyone is watching

tekkierich
02-15-2011, 11:48 PM
failed via voice vote.... didn't ask for a recorded vote. arg

Kludge
02-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Selective Service is a joke, anyway. Only useful in securing gov't loans. Private organization exists to compensate SS registration evaders for their loss (or rather, lack of gain): http://www.centeronconscience.org/event-schedule/fund-for-education-and-training.html

Anyway, can register & give false address, or simply move and not update where you live.

Edit: Also, can mark on application your resistance in case used later and want CO status (cannot do online!). Important to tell young people not to register or to do something else listed. I was under the impression I'd be arrested if I didn't apply and I was already self-identifying as libertarian at the time. :x

tekkierich
02-16-2011, 12:26 AM
I sent Peter DeFazio a thank you email

RileyE104
04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm including this in a report I'm doing.. Does anyone know what their amendment was titled and what bill they were trying to amend, etc.

I need details. :eek:

kah13176
04-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Can someone elaborate on CO status? I have to apply for SS in several months.

I'm not a pacifist by strict definition, but I won't kill people that I've never met that never harmed me. In other words, I won't harm anyone unless they've directly agressed against me.

cindy25
04-07-2011, 12:03 AM
as I recall Peter DeFazio supported Rangel's draft at least once

there is no CO status under the current registration system, that would only apply if there was actual draft

Kludge
04-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Can someone elaborate on CO status? I have to apply for SS in several months.

I'm not a pacifist by strict definition, but I won't kill people that I've never met that never harmed me. In other words, I won't harm anyone unless they've directly agressed against me.
You cannot mark yourself as CO prior to registering for SS, so when you do attempt to dodge the draft, everyone will probably be in a war frenzy. If you are worried, file PHYSICALLY IN PAPER - not electronically, and mark you're a CO with brief reasoning in the margins of the paper. If there is a draft, you can have them pull that form out with your signature and they should be much more willing to hear your CO plea.

Edit: IIRC, you must want to have CO status because you oppose all fighting on behalf of your country, not just because you disagree with how, where, why some particular wars are fought.

TheDriver
04-07-2011, 06:51 AM
I'll be amazed if this passes. With that 90 to 10 vote (http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=1&vote=00050) in the Senate the other day on war powers, I have lost what little faith I had in the federal government.

cindy25
04-07-2011, 07:39 AM
cutting a useless and unpopular program is possible; this passed the house in the 90s. its a lot easier to cut than head start, food stamps or foreign bases.

RileyE104
04-07-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm including this in a report I'm doing.. Does anyone know what their amendment was titled and what bill they were trying to amend, etc.

I need details. :eek:

Can anyone help me out??

I really need to know what bill they were trying to amend so I can have better documentation for it.

RileyE104
04-07-2011, 04:16 PM
bump