PDA

View Full Version : Playing the "Ron Paul is the only candidate with military experience" angle.

Chieppa1
02-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Good idea? Bad idea? Horrible thread idea? :collins:

erowe1
02-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Very good idea. Is it definitely true? If so, it's definitely significant.

AZKing
02-15-2011, 05:41 PM

The only other potential candidate so far that has military experience is John Bolton.

It's definitely a valuable trait. Veterans tend to identify with veterans.

Sola_Fide
02-15-2011, 05:48 PM
I think its a great idea! I don't think Ron plays up his military service enough.

bwlibertyman
02-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Good point. We can talk about how Ron has been in the military and he knows what he's talking about.

civusamericanus
02-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Dr. Ron Paul Served as a Flight Surgeon in the U.S. Air Force from 1963 to 1965 and Flight Surgeon, U.S. Air National Guard from 1965 to 1968.
Alright! Ron Paul is the only Top Tier Candidate, who has military service!

AFPVet
02-15-2011, 07:58 PM
That is pretty significant :)

BlackTerrel
02-15-2011, 08:10 PM
That is significant to a lot of people. People care about that stuff.

kah13176
02-15-2011, 08:12 PM
RP is the only one who's never voted for a tax increase. RP is the only one who's never voted for a house spending bill. RP is the only one who has introduced legislation to repeal the new TSA regulations. RP is one of a handful to vote against the original PATRIOT Act.

Etc. Etc.

specsaregood
02-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Yeah, I went through wiki looking. Couldn't find anybody else commonly named as a candidate that had any military experience:
Gingrich - grew up a military brat
Romney - got a couple deferments
Huckabee - none
Gary Johnson - none
Santorum - none
Haley Barbour - none

Kludge
02-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I went through wiki looking. Couldn't find anybody else commonly named as a candidate that had any military experience:
Gingrich - grew up a military brat
Romney - got a couple deferments
Huckabee - none
Gary Johnson - none
Santorum - none
Haley Barbour - none

To add to -
Giuliani - received deferments during Vietnam
Palin - none
Petraeus obviously does, but I believe he backed out
Cain - none
Christie - none
DeMint - none
Daniels - none
Hunstman - none
Thune - none
Bachmann - none

UtahApocalypse
02-15-2011, 08:53 PM
"Only one candidate has served honorably in the U.S. Military. Only one candidate received the most donations from active military in 2008. Only Ron Paul has the experience, and respect of our nations military to lead them. Only Ron Paul understands that our nations defense starts at home, and not by spreading our military across the globe"

^^^ An ad I would LOVE to see.

specsaregood
02-15-2011, 08:55 PM
"Only one candidate has served honorably in the U.S. Military. Only one candidate received the most donations from active military in 2008. Only Ron Paul has the experience, and respect of our nations military to lead them. Only Ron Paul understands that our nations defense starts at home, and not by spreading stretching our military thin across the globe"

^added

Totally.

Kludge
02-15-2011, 08:56 PM
WHOA WHOA WHOA -- Jimmy McMillan (Rent is Too Damn High) is a Vietnam vet and declared he will run in the GOP Primary.

Edit: Potential candidate Allen West also made a career in the military, serving for over 20 years and achieving rank of Lt. Col.

Other than that, I looked at every potential & declared candidate & found nothing.

Chieppa1
02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
See, even I can come up with a good idea.

civusamericanus
02-15-2011, 09:44 PM
WHOA WHOA WHOA -- Jimmy McMillan (Rent is Too Damn High) is a Vietnam vet and declared he will run in the GOP Primary.

Edit: Potential candidate Allen West also made a career in the military, serving for over 20 years and achieving rank of Lt. Col.

Other than that, I looked at every potential & declared candidate & found nothing.
Wait! You forgot one, The Donald went to Military School, and was promoted his senior year to Cadet Captain-S4 (Cadet Battalion Logistics Officer)!:D

BlackTerrel
02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
"Only one candidate has served honorably in the U.S. Military. Only one candidate received the most donations from active military in 2008. Only Ron Paul has the experience, and respect of our nations military to lead them. Only Ron Paul understands that our nations defense starts at home, and not by spreading our military across the globe"

That would be great. Esp. since Paul's detractors say he is "anti-military".

I think the sell is you support the military by keeping them at home with their families.

TomtheTinker
02-15-2011, 09:50 PM
I don't think he plays any of his cards enough...He has delivered hundreds of baby's..something I would imagine most females to feel very good about..He got an endorsement from Ronald Reagan specifically having to do with national defense..he has served in the military as an officer...he is very popular with the military. ..

Kludge
02-15-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't think he plays any of his cards enough...He has delivered hundreds of baby's..something I would imagine most females to feel very good about..He got an endorsement from Ronald Reagan specifically having to do with national defense..he has served in the military as an officer...he is very popular with the military. ..

Yeah... I was looking at the old '08 pamphlets today and all the points they touched on makes RP look very favorable. He had most contributions from military in '08 run among GOP candidates, too (pretty sure he made that point during a debate).

Eric21ND
02-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Use this against chickenhawk neocons. It's like sunlight to vampires.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-15-2011, 11:02 PM

Just from my limited anecdote he is indeed very popular among many in my unit. I know personally five in my shop alone who are Paul supporters and a few people who transferred out last year who are Paul supporters. I don't know how well that translates to other branches of the Military or other units, but I have been doing my best to spread the message. They call me Mr. Libertarian (Though I myself reserve that title to the only Mr. Libertarian the great late Murray Rothbard) and Ron Paul here in the shop :p It's amusing.

BlackTerrel
02-15-2011, 11:40 PM
See, even I can come up with a good idea.

You joined in 2009. You were due :)

Chieppa1
02-16-2011, 10:38 AM
You joined in 2009. You were due :)

Yeah, I mostly just hung around. CPAC kind of singled me to jump in with both feet. That, my 7-8 hours a day in front of this damn computer.