PDA

View Full Version : guys...question about college tuition costs

ronaldo23
02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm trying to write a research paper for a class on why gov't subsidized loans lead to greater tuitions costs and help ensure an education bubble. Do you have any recommendations on material to research about this? It doesn't have to be that scholarly or anything

I'm using some of Ron Paul's books and Peter Schiffs "how an economy grows and why it crashes" so far, but I wanted to see if anyone who knew more about this topic had any recommendations.

dannno
02-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Recent article with some statistics, which you probably already have as a resource, but just in case:

http://www.freedomworks.org/blog/jborowski/unfortunately-expanding-pell-grants-likely-to-incr

surf
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
good luck with the paper. i'm not trying to hijack this thread, but it would seem to me that certain costs associated with college should be declining - i.e. textbooks come to mind first.

us older folks on this forum can remember being told by our author/profs that you can't buy a used book because the prof has revised the one-year old edition recently. and while i went to a good school (U of Washington - go Huskies!) it always bothered me that professors thought the books they had written were the best on whatever subject is being taught. of course, a lot of us remember eating top ramen to get by as well. my nephew tells me that where he goes to school the cafeteria is open at all times, they have elaborately decked out dorm rooms - as opposed to the milk-crates for bed frames and concrete blocks and planks we used for shelves (he goes to a state school), first class health clubs, etc. colleges have become far too luxurious and "capital" spending is out of control.

good luck with the paper.

tangent4ronpaul
02-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Text book costs declining? - talk about a mega scam! - what makes you say that?

-t

surf
02-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Text book costs declining? - talk about a mega scam! - what makes you say that?

-t
the interweb and all its tubes, digitial copies, etc. i don't know the costs of printing, shipping, shelf-space, etc. for a 500 page textbook on Human Sexuality, but i'd like to beleive it is less than that of a disc or downloadable file.

it makes me feel old to think about what college has seemingly become - we struggled to survive under a less expensive system, and most of my peers paid their own way. now it's become much more luxurious and the payment expectation has shifted somewhat from the student to the parent.

surf
02-15-2011, 02:14 PM
for Ronaldo - i remember seeing an article on LewRockwell.com in which the author describes the funds being utilized by colleges as going to building new fountains, erecting new statues, and updating health clubs

libertybrewcity
02-15-2011, 03:08 PM
for Ronaldo - i remember seeing an article on LewRockwell.com in which the author describes the funds being utilized by colleges as going to building new fountains, erecting new statues, and updating health clubs

i couldn't find the article..i would like to see it though

tangent4ronpaul
02-15-2011, 03:17 PM
uni I went to sent out a questionnaire to students about what should be cut due to budget shortfalls - ended up firing 3 teachers per dept, part of the maintenance staff and no hot breakfasts (except for the admin bldg). THe 6 new buildings they were erecting that year, were not on the cut list.

-t

thehighwaymanq
02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
What class is this for?