jtstellar
02-15-2011, 08:46 AM
--------- **NOTE** the following post was taken from dailypaul.com --------

http://www.dailypaul.com/157139/help-ron-paul-find-his-marbles-cpac-story

"Help Ron Paul find his marbles!" - CPAC Story
Submitted by SoCalPatriot on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 08:46
in

* Daily Paul Liberty Forum

I wanted to share one story from CPAC in particular. It took place on Saturday (the last day of the conference). The conference had just concluded and hundreds of attendees were mulling about the Marriott sharing stories and saying goodbye. I was quickly dragged down from my cloud nine (a result of the straw poll results) when I came across a group of college-aged conference-goers handing out a flier to passersby, saying, "Join the petition to help Ron Paul find his marbles!"

My first instinct was to ask for a handful, rip them up, and then throw them back into the face of this little twerp who had clearly printed them up in advance in anticipation of Dr. Paul's win. Then I thought I would just let them be and enjoy the smell of straw poll victory despite the twerp.

Instead I ended up going up to him and his cohorts, who were all heatedly arguing with Ron Paulers about their need for their own conventions because they don't fit in at CPAC, and took a more civil and diplomatic approach.

After speaking with them in a reasonable and non-confrontational way for about ten minutes, we shook hands, the "twerp" (who I now no longer think of as a twerp) put the fliers back into his backpack and we agreed to meet again next year. (hooray for building bridges and stopping war!)

HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART...

in our discussion I listened as this group expressed their problems/concerns with Ron Paul and his followers. It turned out they actually didn't mind Dr. Paul himself (they were even from Texas), but couldn't stand his supporters ("us" - in a collectivist sense). They said we were loud, obnoxious, and rude as we frequently interrupted speeches with boos or chants of "Ron Paul" and "End the Fed." They also expressed thanks to me for "dressing so nice and being so 'normal.'" They said they were "freaked out" by our desires to end the FED and didn't like how we always marched out of the room as soon the Pauls finished speaking or the straw poll results were announced...in other words they thought we were selfish listeners to top it off.

Whether you and I agree with them or not, these are some of the perceptions of the Ron Paul supporters. So I guess the moral to my story is that I think it would be a great idea if at future events we take these complaints into mind and make larger efforts to build bridges, be respectful, and reason with people one-on-one, listening to and acknowledging their concerns. When we get into the "big Ron Paul group" situation I think we become intimidating and tend to chant more than is necessary; we can make the biggest impact when we speak rationally with the opposition on a one-on-one basis.

That's just my two cents, anyway, so I hope it helps in the future.

Peace

---------------------- **Link to original post ** --------------------

http://www.dailypaul.com/157139/help-ron-paul-find-his-marbles-cpac-story

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I find it fascinating that people who profusely and so loudly exclaim their opposition to egalitarianism are the first ones to want everyone to dress the same. Something ironic in there, but whatever. I do agree that civil discourse is the best path, however why would I want to remain in a room and listen to Neo-Conservatives when I am a libertarian and how is quietly walking out of rooms rude? I think they doth protest too much.

Besides, anyone who doesn't chastise the people booing Ron Paul, but then points to us and says Ah-Hah you are obnoxious rascals who need to be purged because you boo is someone I won't take seriously at all.

Slutter McGee
02-15-2011, 09:08 AM
I find it fascinating that people who profusely and so loudly exclaim their opposition to egalitarianism are the first ones to want everyone to dress the same. Something ironic in there, but whatever. I do agree that civil discourse is the best path, however why would I want to remain in a room and listen to Neo-Conservatives when I am a libertarian and how is quietly walking out of rooms rude? I think they doth protest too much.

Besides, anyone who doesn't chastise the people booing Ron Paul, but then points to us and says Ah-Hah you are obnoxious rascals who need to be purged because you boo is someone I won't take seriously at all.

I find it ridiculous that people judge the man on the behavior of his supporters. But they do. We need to recognize this.

Slutter McGee

DamianTV
02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Maybe those of us that really do act like idiots should stop acting like idiots.

idirtify
02-15-2011, 09:54 AM
I find it ridiculous that people judge the man on the behavior of his supporters. But they do. We need to recognize this.

Slutter McGee

Yes, it’s ridiculous. But it’s the same old story. The opposition can’t criticize the message, so they try to criticize the man and/or his supporters. But it’s not even very easy to criticize the man. So even when they title their literature AS IF it were a criticism of the man and/or his message, it’s actually a criticism of his supporters – with apparently NO criticism of the message.

I think there is also a little jealousy here. Whenever you invigorate the young people to this degree, you will have displays of invigoration. The opposition only wishes they had the invigorated youth on their side.

idirtify
02-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Maybe those of us that really do act like idiots should stop acting like idiots.

Maybe those of us who classify it as “the actions of idiots” should start to appreciate it more for what it is: “youthful enthusiasm”.

jtstellar
02-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Maybe those of us who classify it as “the actions of idiots” should start to appreciate it more for what it is: “youthful enthusiasm”.

well i think it's occasionally important to get past the romanticism and get right down to business and figure out which way leads to the fastest and most practical result (the purpose IS trying to build bridges, is it not?).. just my .02

newbitech
02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Congrats to your efforts and thanks for sharing your experience here. I would have asked them if they were the ones booing when Ron Paul was announced as the winner.

dannno
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I have heard a couple people say on some messageboard or something that they like Ron Paul, but won't support him because of his supporters. Some how Ron Paul being in power, 'enables' their agenda (9/11 truth or what-have-you), and not Ron Paul's 'agenda'.

Well, guess what? Those people are idiots. That's like saying white supremacists will be empowered if Ron Paul wins. That's just retarded, these people don't know what the fuck they are talking about, and honestly, I think they are just making excuses because they don't want to have to defend their true beliefs which conflict with Ron Paul's message.

dannno
02-15-2011, 12:33 PM
My point is these people are liars. They wouldn't support Ron Paul no matter what, they are just making excuses as to why, their goal being to get us to shut up.

dannno
02-15-2011, 12:35 PM
well i think it's occasionally important to get past the romanticism and get right down to business and figure out which way leads to the fastest and most practical result (the purpose IS trying to build bridges, is it not?).. just my .02

Who cares about these complaining old people? They are the past, they are dying. It's obvious that right now, Ron Paul's message is the future. Either these people are going to accept it or they are going to fight it. Don't pretend they are being honest as to their motivations and their words.

dannno
02-15-2011, 12:38 PM

Yep, and I agree with the whole jealousy angle as well. If we were being youthfully enthusiastic for murderous war criminals they would be foaming at the mouth.

jtstellar
02-15-2011, 01:10 PM
the past rowdiness had its place to garner attention for rp.. we are now past that and what is required now is to draw in people who already know rp and make them want to be part of the group.. there are plenty of real life people who would readily choose "i like you (or not)" over "ideas"..

i think the fact that something like this is being discussed is somewhat of a spontaneous order.. some supporters are starting to recognize that what this movement needs now is different and it certainly has changed from the last go-around.. the dynamic is different now. the focus right now with ron paul's name recognition in the high 70s according to a recent poll is how to draw those people in. chanting rp's name to people who vaguely know where he stands on every issue is just.. bad. what it needs is refining and packaging.. again.. people already know him and they know where he stands in general

KurtBoyer25L
02-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Dannno, my only rebuttal to your remarks here is that as our numbers grow, there is a danger of becoming an exclusionary crowd in the eyes of other political activists. Also, Ron Paul supporters have a little more moral principle attached to our politics (I don't think that's a biased statement considering the pragmatism of every major centrist candidate for 40 years) than the usual groups.

So if you're a typically pudgy, insecure, well-meaning Dittohead from some local college & your life's political ambition is to outlaw gay marriage (so you can overcome those scary feelings you had during a Johnny Depp movie) & lower the federal tax burden by .2% (because that's what Reagan did), a large group of non-conforming Ron Paul activists are going to appear to you as a threatening, fanatical, strange, exclusionary bunch. It's a natural result of an unavoidable problem.

I do think the solution is to be a little more civil and by all means do what JT did. Walk around, behave yourself, chat up RP in a *humble* and civilized way to the "normals." If another two years of that doesn't change the world, well then we can start just waiting for old people to move on & young people to turn 18.

jtstellar
02-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Dannno, my only rebuttal to your remarks here is that as our numbers grow, there is a danger of becoming an exclusionary crowd in the eyes of other political activists. Also, Ron Paul supporters have a little more moral principle attached to our politics (I don't think that's a biased statement considering the pragmatism of every major centrist candidate for 40 years) than the usual groups.

So if you're a typically pudgy, insecure, well-meaning Dittohead from some local college & your life's political ambition is to outlaw gay marriage (so you can overcome those scary feelings you had during a Johnny Depp movie) & lower the federal tax burden by .2% (because that's what Reagan did), a large group of non-conforming Ron Paul activists are going to appear to you as a threatening, fanatical, strange, exclusionary bunch. It's a natural result of an unavoidable problem.

I do think the solution is to be a little more civil and by all means do what JT did. Walk around, behave yourself, chat up RP in a *humble* and civilized way to the "normals." If another two years of that doesn't change the world, well then we can start just waiting for old people to move on & young people to turn 18.

wasn't me i just grabbed the article from dailypaul.com lol.. i asked the op whether he was interested in doing it himself but i didn't get a response in time.. therefore i just took liberty with it while the cpac topic was hot (everything has an expiration date)

Mordan
02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
hey guys

let's harness this power

make the "abnormals" chant "Listen to Ron Paul's Idea, not to Us"

:)

KurtBoyer25L
02-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Ah ha! Well, my argument still stands (I think). Taking "liberty" with anything works around here.

silentshout
02-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Who cares about these complaining old people? They are the past, they are dying. It's obvious that right now, Ron Paul's message is the future. Either these people are going to accept it or they are going to fight it. Don't pretend they are being honest as to their motivations and their words.

As a not-quite-old-not-quite-young-person I agree with you. It's the last gasp of a dying way of thinking.

Anti Federalist
02-15-2011, 03:26 PM

LoL at two years.

I'll be back with a link to a Murray Rothbard article from 42 YEARS AGO describing the exact same problem we are facing now.

LoL - two years...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?279590-Rothbard-demolishes-YAF-over-40-YEARS-ago.

Tonewah
02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
My point is these people are liars. They wouldn't support Ron Paul no matter what, they are just making excuses as to why, their goal being to get us to shut up.

That is the truth. They are followers of the neo-con cult with blind, Manson-family-like loyalty. They don't think for themselves, and accuse everyone else of doing exactly what they do without coming to the realization that they are talking about themselves.

NewRightLibertarian
02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Having a rowdy band of supporters is a good thing not a bad thing, in my opinion.