PDA

View Full Version : Survey: What lessons did we learn in 2008 that we can use in 2012?

dblee
02-15-2011, 05:28 AM
I want to start a thread here to use as a knowledge base for all the remaining, returning, and future RP 2012 supporters to reference. We must be a well oiled grassroots campaigning machine this time around. We must hone, refine, and definite our strategy.

The revolutionaries in Egypt learned from the youth group Optor! that lead the Serbian overthrow of Milosovic. They had personal training in tactics of non-violent demonstration, swaying the military to your cause, and motivating an apathetic population. We must play the same role for all the new supporters we are sure to welcome into our ranks very soon.

Please list lessons that you have learned from the past and I will compile the best ones in this post. Please refrain from unconstructive statements such as: "The MSM sucks!" We know this. Try to post something you learned from the last campaign that helped us overcome that bias.

I will start with a few of my own:

- Positive messages and slogans ("Change!" "Yes We Can!") have a far more profound effect than fearmongering.

- Sign waving although initially effective, waned in efficacy as the campaign wore on.

- Organizing in Precincts and becoming a Precinct Leader and or Delegate, being involved in your local party was crucial.

- Phone banks and on the ground canvassing allowed us to spread RP's name and reputation.

- Youtube videos were very effective for inspiring the younger generation of voters.

Also, I would add that we have tools now at our disposal that weren't prevalent or available three years ago. Social Media and Social Networking has become vastly influential. Facebook, Twitter, Text-Messaging. It's ubiquitous now, and even your parents have Facebook accounts. New Technologies such as Google Voice and Skype will help us organize huge virtual 24-7 phone-banks that could put some call centers in India to shame. What are your suggestions for how to harness these recent technologies?

Lets take this seriously, and prove to everyone that Ron Paul's supporters are more saavy, more motivated, and smarter than those of other candidates :)

dblee
02-15-2011, 05:31 AM
Here's an idea that we could all begin immediately. Meetup.com was the big thing in '08 and while it's still relevant we need to each start a Local Ron Paul 2012 facebook fan page. These pages would be a starting point for organizing rallies, fundraising, meetups, and other political activities.

amy31416
02-15-2011, 06:13 AM
--The blimp was a nightmare, and fortunately we have a lot more name recognition this time around.

--Stop the infighting over wedge issues like abortion and gay rights, focus on the goal.

--Creativity is our strong point, we need a good combination of our off-the-cuff ideas (think Tea Party, money bombs, etc.) with a good dash of reality that there will be those who look to take advantage (ronpaulracing, the boxer w/Ron Paul on his back, etc.)

--New members...we will have them, some will be sincere, some will not. We need a good method to root out the trolls and/or convert them without antagonizing new, sincere people.

--Voluntaryists/anarchists--we have them here, many of us identify that way. How do we rein in their pessimism? How do we turn them from being folks who would encourage non-participation, when that will get us nowhere, into folks who would actually contribute in some way? I understand the anarchist tendency, and feel a bit pained when they get the boot here--but I also understand why they get the boot. I think we can do better.

--Same goes with left or right-leaning libertarians. Both can be aggravating, depending on what they're pushing. Both camps can get what they want on a local level, neither can get what they want on a federal level.

--In keeping with the above, more focus on local politics, balanced with getting a sea change through Ron Paul's platform.

--Avoid the atheist/religious wars like the plague. They accomplish nothing and are a huge distraction.

--Have fun, make it fun. Keep our sense of humor. Not easy to do when a person like RP is being unfairly bashed or lied about, but we need to have thick skins--because it will get nasty when/if RP announces his run for president. It's reasonable to think that this will be his last shot at it, and we need to keep it together.

I do like the Facebook idea over meetup.com, considering that meetup.com costs some $$ and doesn't offer much more benefit. The precinct leader thing you mentioned in your first post is very important, considering that that's where we flubbed last time around...we got started on that way too late.

There's plenty more...and I hope we'll look back on this rollercoaster ride fondly, as I do the 2008 efforts--warts and all.

pacelli
02-15-2011, 06:50 AM
37 specific suggestions on what to do differently from 07-08:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?232814-Dr.-Paul-does-not-dismiss-a-run-in-2012-What-do-we-do-different-in-2011

Bern
02-15-2011, 06:57 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?272747-We-Need-to-Change-Our-Strategy-for-Influencing-or-Converting-Others-(New-Short-Version!)&p=3060323&viewfull=1#post3060323

newbitech
02-15-2011, 06:59 AM
I think the campaign tried to organize precinct leaders in their precinct leader program. It was somewhat of a failure IMO. We have to get active locally in the political process. We need state delegates. We need enough votes to control the political process at the local levels. How to do this? I am not sure. I'd do it, but I am afraid that my colorful past will kill me. We need people with no arrest record, clean as a whistle type people, to fill this role.

amy31416
02-15-2011, 07:08 AM
I think the campaign tried to organize precinct leaders in their precinct leader program. It was somewhat of a failure IMO. We have to get active locally in the political process. We need state delegates. We need enough votes to control the political process at the local levels. How to do this? I am not sure. I'd do it, but I am afraid that my colorful past will kill me. We need people with no arrest record, clean as a whistle type people, to fill this role.

In regards to the "colorful past" notion...do you think it's possible that people are ready for sincere people who exhibit human flaws without trying to sweep them under the carpet?

Personally, I'd find it refreshing--and bullet-proof with the right individuals. I don't want to be a hypocrite about this, because I'm very private--especially about my flaws, but I'd get behind a person who isn't perfect, so long as they are honest about it.

Mordan
02-15-2011, 07:15 AM
-focus on people who actually vote

-become a delegate

-win all caucuses.

hazek
02-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Meetups and canvasing from door to door is the most important things we can do IMO.

I disagree about fear mongering. A good PR strategy presents both the carrot and the stick. I think it doesn't hurt our cause if we scare people about the future of the dollar, the future of their freedoms and the future of their country if we can also present a good sound message how to avert this future.

I think we should hire a PR firm to help us with that. I think we should hire a firm to use focus groups of GOP voters to figure out their mind set and how we can package our freedom message to match their beliefs and values. And I also think we should compose a strategy of packaging our message which would negate the propaganda that's being spewed by the MSM.

I think if we do this, Ron has a decent shot.

newbitech
02-15-2011, 07:29 AM
In regards to the "colorful past" notion...do you think it's possible that people are ready for sincere people who exhibit human flaws without trying to sweep them under the carpet?

Personally, I'd find it refreshing--and bullet-proof with the right individuals. I don't want to be a hypocrite about this, because I'm very private--especially about my flaws, but I'd get behind a person who isn't perfect, so long as they are honest about it.

I am honest about my past and open. I am a private individual too, but part of me overcoming my past mistakes involves me being willing to own up. To be honest, my criminal record is just a bunch of misdemeanors and "felony arrests" that didn't pan out for the DA. However, my experience 3 years ago when I won a committee seat in the Republican Party tells me that any smudge no matter how small will hurt my chances of influence within the republican party.

I will probably try again, I just don't want to have to battle on 2 fronts. If I can somehow find a way to take on both issues, convincing people that my ideas of freedom and liberty are worth supporting and dealing with the stains in my past, I'd feel more confident.

I have been arrested for assault on a LEO, convicted of 2 disorderly conducts, convicted of DUI 2x's, convicted of trespassing, and convicted of serving alcohol to a minor.

tangent4ronpaul
02-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Positive messages and slogans ("Change!" "Yes We Can!") have a far more profound effect than fearmongering.

Positive slogans, good – could you use some examples that were not from our opposition and that actually meant something instead of being hollow fluff that are meaningless?

Sign waving although initially effective, waned in efficacy as the campaign wore on.

Effective how? Name recognition – a bit. The way sign waves were most effective were as a social activity on a regular basis. It got people used to doing things together frequently and established relationships. It filled gaps in activities when nothing else was going on, and in the case of burma shaves at actually educated people and got them to interact (honk if you like Ron Paul) and sometimes piull over if a place for that could be found so you could give them literature.

Organizing in Precincts and becoming a Precinct Leader and or Delegate, being involved in your local party was crucial.

Precincts can be really small and the precinct leader program was a trainwreck. If you've got 10 precinct leaders in a state with 1,000 precincts, is it better for each of those 10 to knock on each door in their precinct 10 times during an election cycle, or knock on each door ONCE in 100 precincts? Don't think too hard.

The critical part, is choosing the right precincts. Ones you can win. If you have good support in a precinct, that's probably one you want to ignore, because you have a good shot of winning it anyway. Likewise precincts your opposition has in the bag – you are just wasting time and resources. It's the fence sitters, ones leaning your way and independent neighborhoods where you can make differences. All this means getting voter info and doing math. Trying to knock on the right doors or at least doors in the right precincts.

Also, it's safer to go on groups and easier to get ppl to go with you if someone is on the other side of the street working with you. You get more mileage from fliers, unless you know you are talking to a primary voter.

New Technologies such as Google Voice and Skype will help us organize huge virtual 24-7 phone-banks that could put some call centers in India to shame.

Please NEVER join one of my conference calls or try doing a phone bank call to me using one of these services! I have a friend that sometimes calls me via Google voice and that calls are allways like a minute of clarity, followed by static and them dropping out... like, hay could you repeat that phrase for the fifth time, you're breaking up again. Now imagine you are being cold called or part of a conference call with a lot of ppl... We had the same problems last time with Skype.

Many cell phone plans won't let you call during the week during hours you can call bank, leaving only weekends or being able to take advantage of an hour or two difference in time zones during the week.

Land line national plans are better, allowing calling anytime to anywhere in the CONUS with good sound quality. Unfortunately, more and more people are going to cell phone only which hurts as to callers and not being able to generally get callee numbers.

G3 and G4 nets sounded like a godsend this time till AT&T and Verizon announced they were going to throttle down bandwidth if you used too much. Not clear how much that is, but that's going to put a major crimp in live video being a huge factor this time arround.

Meetup.com was the big thing in '08 and while it's still relevant we need to each start a Local Ron Paul 2012 facebook fan page. These pages would be a starting point for organizing rallies, fundraising, meetups, and other political activities.

Facebook is pretty hostile to ongoing organizing. Broken up a bit:

As to everyone starting their own RP fan page – please don't. Try this for starters – go to Facebook and
try to find RP state groups from last time. They are out there. Their search engine let you down? Now imagine tens of thousands of Facebook pages with “Ron Paul” in the name. Worse, without organization and uniform naming, not only can't you find them, but if you try to communicate with them – you are treated as spam and get your account suspended. The variety of naming conventions also varies widely.

Facebook also has rules about who can set up what kind of group for what and will boot you for violating them. Organization groups are seriously neutered as to capability. If you want to do an event, you have to create an event facebook page. Imagine doing that weekly for in person meetups or in some cases we were doing daily and sometimes a couple of time a day conference calls. Meetup supports this, facebook does not. Oh, Meetup costs $70 for 6 months. Bit over $10 a month or $250 a week and you get THREE Meetups for that price! How much do you spend on a good cup of coffee?

Even with Meetup. We have problems with organization wide communication due to their business model. But we are a widely distributed grassroots organization, and that will always be our biggest problem. There are other issues with Facebook, but I don't want to write a book. It has a place in our plans, but just a place.

Don't mean to come down on you too hard. Many of us had the same, rather idealistic ideas you are having, before we learned better. Been there, done that.

You did have some other good points that I didn't comment on.

-t

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-15-2011, 08:31 AM
Expect no help from the media whatsoever. Only expect psychological tricks from them. Find ways to get out in front of that.

hazek
02-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Maybe this can help us organize:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAlnMWlvw9g

RPF Public workstream: https://secure.bettermeans.com/projects/1223
Liberty coalition workstream: https://secure.bettermeans.com/projects/1231

pcosmar
02-15-2011, 08:48 AM
I may try to approach the local GOP and see if anything has changed, but they were hostile last time. I will spread the message again one on one.
I hope the Michigan Campaign is not sabotaged again, There was a lot of support that was lost by folks from the official campaign.

Slutter McGee
02-15-2011, 08:51 AM
1. Do our best to distance Ron Paul from 911 truth movements and other conspiracy theories without insulting or pissing off those who happen to believe in those things.

2. Recognize that name recognition is not the major problem this time. No need to simply spam Ron Paul's name everywhere.

3. Instead of disbelief in the polls, use them to help us strategically.

4. Different strategies in different states according to demographics and election rules. Closed vs. Open primaries. Caucuses. etc.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Deborah K
02-15-2011, 08:55 AM
I started a thread on this almost a year ago. It's in my signature. Here's what we came up with:

1. Start early, start now, build on the momentum.

2. An up-to-date DVD available with Ron Paul footage on the main issues, as well as video endorsements from many media outlets

3. Mistake: Too many moneybombs and individuals/groups jumping on the cash bandwagon last time.

Correction: We should have 1 moneybomb per QUARTER, and inform the campaign ahead of time so they can plan accordingly. Any non-campaign fundraisers should be prepared to deal with extensive questions to prevent another Ringside Revolution / Ron Paul Racing scam. The blimp was fun and got free advertising, but didn't get Ron Paul elected, therefore it was a mistake that should not be funded again.

4. a.The ads were pathetic- Let the grassroots make the ads and vote on them like the youtube debate ad

b. The campaign proved themselves inept on numerous occasions in 2007- hopefully the mistakes will be learned from and some good campaign managers/staff will evolve from this years liberty candidates

c. Organize Ron Paul (Revolution?) Marches like the one in Austin back in Oct 07... do these countrywide regularly in 2011 to show our numbers and spread the message.

5. We should focus on Iowa and New Hampshire

6. This time, be nice to them (media). No chasing Hannity. If you really must, go at him screaming "Obama's Number ONE!"

7. Become an elector: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...come+an+electo

8. We need to bus liberty-loving students from colleges and universities to Ames for the IA straw poll in August 2011 to match Romney's bussing of Mormons.

9. We should fund commercials and set up interviews with local radio and TV stations in Iowa and New Hampshire et al.

10. We need TV ads that look and sound professional, that really glorify Ron and give him an emotional appeal.

11. duplicate

12. See post #59

13. The most important thing we can do to help Ron Paul in 2012 is to get as many Ron Paul endorsed candidates elected in 2010. Each one that wins is someone that can turn around and immediately endorse Ron Paul (or whoever ends up running) the following year.

14. What we do need to do is focus on a team of people to get things done in the first 5 primary states. If we can beat Mitt in Michigan, we can win the nomination. Ron *can* win Iowa, and 2 in a row would be NH! If he wins Michigan he's nearly won the election.

15. Instead of donating $600,000 on a blimp, we could have major local events in Iowa

16. We could get far more mileage out of a serious highway billboard campaign in the key early primary states.

17. I remember Nathan Estey proposing Ron Paul truck billboards be rented that would circle the highways at rush hours to keep Paul's name in front of commuters. Or how about using the cash to pay for a network of Paul speakers to make presentations at veterans clubs and senior centers, to get his message out in front of live likely voters?

18. Infiltrate all Tea Parties and 9/12 groups in Iowa.

19. Re-awaken the meet-up groups

20. We need to win or place strongly (top 3) in the Ames straw poll. The money we spend winning it will pay for itself in the free media attention it garners. We need to ORGANIZE and bus our supporters into Ames. We need to set up carpooling, etc in every town in Iowa so not one Ron Paul supporter misses the opportunity to cast a vote for Ron.

21. We need to plan a huge money bomb/kick off party for the day Ron announces his candidacy. Ron needs to be the front runner in money and donations from the start. I think $10 million is a realistic goal if we promote it.

22. We need the campaign to purchase an offical campaign bus, preferably several of them, fully furnished and painted nicely so they can serve as our command centers. We should station one in Iowa, New Hamshire, South Carolina, and one out west, Nevada possible. Like I said I'd prefer 4 buses, but we could live with 2 if we had to.

23. We need to carter private planes for Ron, so we can keep his energy level high and get him across the country wherever he's needed (Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Nevada, etc)

24. We have to figure out a way to get our most inspirational youtubes shown on the air or at least a DVD in the hands of all early primary voters.

FUNDRAISING IS KEY

Ron Paul's fundraising growth was exponential in 2007-2008. Lets start the exponential growth 10 months earlier for 2011-2012.

OUR Goal starting THE DAY HE ANNOUNCES FORMING AN EXPLORATORY COMMITTEE should be to raise at least $10 million dollars by March 2011. (Q1)

A few suggestions:
START SAVING NOW.
1. I'm maxing out and encouraging my friends to do the same. In a fight there are times to save onto your ammo and times to fire with all you've got - Jan 2011 lets fire the shot heard around the world.

2. Join your local tea party and tell them Ron Paul started the modern tea party movement. Lets earn their hearts and minds.

3. I posit that a money bomb should be planned for some time in Jan, Feb., or March 2011 to put our campaign in a competitive position and gain financial-frontrunner status.

4. Meetup groups

Avery J. Knapp Jr., M.D.
Helped run the Greater NYC Ron Paul Action Meetup (and helped start it in May 2007, end of Q2, shortly after I heard about Ron Paul).
26. Don't forget to Register Republican, Become a Delegate and Get Involved!!!

27. The campaign should hire 10 of the most talented grassroots video makers and provide them the equipment and resources to churn out top quality video for the campaign. We need a video team following Ron around the country just shooting and shooting video, to be edited later for use in campaign commercials, etc.

28. I also suggest a money bomb calendar so we can avoid grassroots confusion and pissing contests.

Let's debate the number of money bombs for fiscal year 2011 and the dates, so we don't have to do it on the fly like usual.

29. The opposition would take us by surprise by some of the tactics they used. Maybe it would be a good idea to "prepare and be aware" of those tactics a head of time.

30. A 2 day moneybomb on the day before and on the day of the Ames Straw Poll.

1. It will get Rons name in the media for the day of the straw poll

2. If a relatively undecided iowan turns up to vote and sees a giant live ticker outside our tent showing us raising millions as the day goes on- he/she may be swayed by our fundraising strength and enthusiasm

31. The way to combat this? Watch every CFL training video on the site!

32. See post 174.
I'd like to suggest a couple changes to the list compiled in the first post of this thread. The suggestions have to do with fundraising and the kick off moneybomb.

I believe that an integral part of the promotion of the first moneybomb should be not just about one big moneybomb, but encouraging people to sign up for an automatic monthly contribution. I think that the goal should be to get 100,000 people to sign up for a $100 monthly contribution, on the moneybomb date. That would give Ron a 10 million dollar day, and a guaranteed $10 million every month. It is a big goal but I think it can be done. And having people committed to monthly contributions will cut down on the need for constant recurring moneybombs.

My personal preference is that the first moneybomb should be Dec 16th 2010.
33. From the Daily Paul: http://www.dailypaul.com/node/147108#comment-1561301 We need to develop an internet taskforce that operates 24/7 probably through its own website and dominates these marketing tools:

1. Internet Polls
2. YouTube Videos
3. Article/Video Comment Sections
4. Facebook domination
5. Emailing mediaheads
6. Etc.

34. From Daily Paul: We NEED precinct leaders. Either official voted in precinct leaders or volunteer precinct leaders (as from the 2008 campaign)

We NEED Ron Paul supporters to get comfortable with:
1. Walking their precincts
2. Talking to their neighbors. (don't alienate them if you have differing views)
3. Organizing precinct meetings w/ your neighborhood at the local library
4. Gaining the trust of your precinct.
5. Showing informative eye-opening documentaries at the local library during your precinct meetings.

We can win back America and it can happen one precinct district at a time. Win over your precinct!

Originally Posted by nate895
I have six projects that I think need to be worked on in order to win in 2012 and ensure the continued success and influence of the Liberty Movement, as I elaborate on here and here:

Solid Tea Party Backing
Smear Machine
Candidates Everywhere
Project Iowa
Project New Hampshire
Project South Carolina

This is about building a grassroots machine that can successfully elect candidates nationwide, wherever there is a viable race.
36. Wonder if we could organize a gun show or swap meet with free admission for anyone with a Bussed to ames handstamp or ticket. Maybe an expo for homeschoolers... something

37. If you want to be a precinct captain post here!
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=267199

DamianTV
02-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Heres how we win, and how we dont win.

It isnt just about the number of supporters we have, we have more than enough numbers right now to flat out win a Presidential Election. And lets not start with trying to discuss our numbers. Our numbers are strong. Our message is strong. Damn strong. What we really need to do is to figure out a way to beat the currently totally corrupt voting system where we are most suseptible to Losing the Election and how to overcome those problems. The Delegate selection process is where and how we were defeated last time. Nevada and Michigans efforts were sabotaged last time, without recourse or redress. I think it is happening in every single state, however.

How do we win then?

We dont do what we did last time. We are organized, but not focused on very specific tasks. Sure, we are fantastic at winning online votes and straw polls, but that isnt how the Presidential Election Process works. In our current voting process, even from day one, they try to tell us who "we are allowed" to vote for.

We need to lock down a method of winning DELEGATES more so than anything else. This strategy is also going to change with each and every single State, and its own rules and policies. If we can get to the Final Election, I believe very strongly that Ron Paul WILL win the election. In think in order to get the number of DELEGATES, we need to specifically address what part of each States DELEGATE selection process needs to be focused on in order to allow us to get passed our first hump.

We need to break down the entire election process into specific steps, and how we can win each one of those steps.

#1. - We need DELEGATES to be "eligible" to stay in the race beyond just the primary.

This being the very first step, should we focus on this? Maybe split threads for specific strategies... Since some states may have similar rules, other states will have different rules, but will be similar enough.

#1.A - Every state that can needs to follow the lead of what happened in Nevada last time. We changed the rules so that we could Nominate and Vote for Delegates from the floor. This is absolutely critical! If we are only allowed to choose from the Delegates they allow us to choose for, we dont have a chance, as they WILL NOT recommend any Delegate in ANY STATE that is a known Ron Paul supporter. We also cant try to fly in under their radar, we need each state to change the rules so that they can get Ron Paul Delegates, and know who each of their Delegates are for each PERSONS corresponding District.

Lets focus on these things first, agreed?

tangent4ronpaul
02-15-2011, 10:24 AM

I like it!

-t

Fredom101
02-15-2011, 10:38 AM
"He's catchin on, I'm tellin ya!"
-Worst thing ever about the 2008 campaign.

newbitech
02-15-2011, 10:40 AM

nice tool, im signing up

Fredom101
02-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Honestly, I think it comes down to the women. My RP meetup was 90-95% male. We will not win if we can't get thru to women. Most of my conversations with random women about RP came down to the abortion issue. Others are just lock-step democrats and are terrified of anyone with an R by their name. Not sure what the answer is here, but I think the best thing we can do is to understand where these women are coming from, and what their needs are, instead of arguing with them.

We must be great listeners, have a lot of empathy for people, and stick to the issues rather than on Ron Paul himself, or his chances vs. some other candidate.

nobody's_hero
02-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Was the blimp a mistake?

I seem to recall it got recognized on CNN during a segment and earned Ron Paul supporters a reputation for thinking outside the box. (first candidate to have a blimp, and furthermore, paid for by grassroots supporters)

I think we should be open to these neat ideas that set Ron Paul apart from the others, but we should also not cling to any one particular idea in hopes of milking it for more than we can get out of it. So after the blimp had its 15 minutes of fame, we should have been ready with another idea that would have made the MSM have to talk about it.

tangent4ronpaul
02-15-2011, 10:53 AM
2. An up-to-date DVD available with Ron Paul footage on the main issues, as well as video endorsements from many media outlets

24. We have to figure out a way to get our most inspirational youtubes shown on the air or at least a DVD in the hands of all early primary voters.

27. The campaign should hire 10 of the most talented grassroots video makers and provide them the equipment and resources to churn out top quality video for the campaign. We need a video team following Ron around the country just shooting and shooting video, to be edited later for use in campaign commercials, etc.

Talk to Evan in Alaska – he headed the Iowa DVD project last time.

8. We need to bus liberty-loving students from colleges and universities to Ames for the IA straw poll in August 2011 to match Romney's bussing of Mormons.

Don't put them up in an unheated summer camp like last time and give each a medical checkup coming in, so we don't have an epidemic like last time.

19. Re-awaken the meet-up groups

They are starting to wake up, but it's probably going to take RP announcing for them to clock in mass back into activity. Keeping the groups we have alive is a priority as will be re-aquiring lost Meetups and seeding new ones like last time.

Meetup has a naming scheme that is giving us fits as to keeping track of ppl, ditto groups nameing themselves.

Ron Paul's fundraising growth was exponential in 2007-2008. Lets start the exponential growth 10 months earlier for 2011-2012.

Let's debate the number of money bombs for fiscal year 2011 and the dates, so we don't have to do it on the fly like usual.

The danger here is financial burn out. People maxed out, and then the PCC started charging for campaign supplies in bulk. BAD combo!

We need a master calender of major events.

31. The way to combat this? Watch every CFL training video on the site!

The ones from American U are generally better, but it varies. Those are on C-SPAN.

33. From the Daily Paul: http://www.dailypaul.com/node/147108#comment-1561301 We need to develop an internet taskforce that operates 24/7 probably through its own website and dominates these marketing tools:

1. Internet Polls
2. YouTube Videos
3. Article/Video Comment Sections
4. Facebook domination
5. Emailing mediaheads
6. Etc.

Interesting thought, but you need volunteers to do the footwork. Just keeping track of YouTube posters is a challenge, getting them talking to each other failed last time.

-t

wizardwatson
02-15-2011, 10:53 AM

I've been road-testing this product with the Liberty Coalition workstream. I'm also trying to communicate with NayJevin about marketing only one workstream initially just so we're not duplicating efforts. NayJevin is admin on RPF Public workstream.

It might be a great tool for organizing and voting ideas, among other things. I encourage everyone to read their core documents. More details on this thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?278304-A-Better-Means-of-Organizing

tangent4ronpaul
02-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Honestly, I think it comes down to the women. My RP meetup was 90-95% male. We will not win if we can't get thru to women. Most of my conversations with random women about RP came down to the abortion issue. Others are just lock-step democrats and are terrified of anyone with an R by their name. Not sure what the answer is here, but I think the best thing we can do is to understand where these women are coming from, and what their needs are, instead of arguing with them.

We must be great listeners, have a lot of empathy for people, and stick to the issues rather than on Ron Paul himself, or his chances vs. some other candidate.

Getting the feds hands off the abortion issue makes it a state issue. That means some places like the bible belt will ban it, but other places like California and NY will never ban it. If this happens, abortion will ALWAYS be available in the United States.

You really CAN turn this into a selling point!

-t

hazek
02-15-2011, 11:04 AM

If I understand anything about women I guess their issue with libertarianism and Ron Paul might be that it contradicts their natural tendencies to nest and try and raise a family.

I think the key in winning women over is talking about money and sound money in particular, states run education and protection of their privacy.

hazek
02-15-2011, 11:23 AM
BTW this issue of weak support among women is precisely why we need to hire a firm to do focus group surveys.

Bossobass
02-15-2011, 11:46 AM
This is my opinion, and these are the associated facts:

A solid platform that Americans can understand with a sound byte sentence to describe each plank.

At the top of the list should be a plank for Small Business. This subject got the most acceptance for me in the 2008 cycle from the establishment in both parties because the facts are irrefutable and no one will speak against a stand for Small Business.

Small firms:
• Represent 99.7 percent of all employer firms.
• Employ half of all private sector employees.
• Pay 44 percent of total U.S. private payroll.
• Generated 65 percent of net new jobs over the past 17 years.
• Create more than half of the nonfarm private GDP.
• Hire 43 percent of high tech workers ( scientists, engineers, computer programmers, and others).
• Are 52 percent home-based and 2 percent franchises.
• Made up 97.5 percent of all identified exporters and produced 31 percent of export value in FY 2008.
• Produce 13 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms.

In 2009,there were 27.5 million businesses in the United States, according to Office of Advocacy estimates.The lastest available Census data show that there were 6.0 million firms with employees in 2007 and 21.4 million without employees in 2008. Small firms with fewer than 500 employees represent 99.9 percent of the total ( employers and nonemployers), as the most recent data show there were about 18,311 large businesses in 2007.

ALL Politicians will all avoid attacking proposals to help Small Business.
Small Business people are a huge untapped group from which to build a strong base.

In the 2008 crisis, TBTF and the Federal Government got ALL of the available capital and the SBA budget was shrunk to 1/7,000 of the federal budget. How's that workin' out so far?

IOW, the controversial issues are attacked and argued to death. This issue will not be attacked by any pol with the desire to be re-elected. It got me an instant in with my state Senators, Reps and GOP wanks as a delegate, whereas most RP supporters there were sneered at and shunned for their "radical" positions.

Just my 2 cents...

Bosso

tangent4ronpaul
02-15-2011, 01:09 PM
This is an important thread peeps!

Fredom101
02-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Getting the feds hands off the abortion issue makes it a state issue. That means some places like the bible belt will ban it, but other places like California and NY will never ban it. If this happens, abortion will ALWAYS be available in the United States.

You really CAN turn this into a selling point!

-t

That's exactly how I explained it, but I had a couple of women get hysterical even at that explanation. We have to understand that, even though it makes sense to us to leave it up to the states, and we know CA & NY will NEVER make abortion illegal, they see this has doing harm to women overall, so we have to be empathetic to what they are saying. It's a tough issue all the way around.

tangent4ronpaul
02-15-2011, 01:22 PM
That's exactly how I explained it, but I had a couple of women get hysterical even at that explanation. We have to understand that, even though it makes sense to us to leave it up to the states, and we know CA & NY will NEVER make abortion illegal, they see this has doing harm to women overall, so we have to be empathetic to what they are saying. It's a tough issue all the way around.

UGH!

I'd make a more specific comment, but....

What percentage?

Maximus
02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
How about the system that Peter Schiff used, the phone banking thing. He outperformed everyones expectations, I think that had a lot to do with it.

We should do that again, with the pitch directing people towards a good, clean, simple page of Ron Paul on the issues, youtube videos, etc.

JVParkour
02-15-2011, 02:02 PM
The main thing that I have learned the past 2 years simply affirms the old saying "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." I think that while being loud and heckling can get some media attention, and can be useful in some circumstances, people are much more open to a nice person than a yelling rude one. I am going to try to act like I am the candidate running for office, and not yell or heckle, but instead, explain to people gently what I think and why. That has worked really well for me the past 2 years.

Mordan
02-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Heres how we win, and how we dont win.

It isnt just about the number of supporters we have, we have more than enough numbers right now to flat out win a Presidential Election. And lets not start with trying to discuss our numbers. Our numbers are strong. Our message is strong. Damn strong. What we really need to do is to figure out a way to beat the currently totally corrupt voting system where we are most suseptible to Losing the Election and how to overcome those problems. The Delegate selection process is where and how we were defeated last time. Nevada and Michigans efforts were sabotaged last time, without recourse or redress. I think it is happening in every single state, however.

How do we win then?

We dont do what we did last time. We are organized, but not focused on very specific tasks. Sure, we are fantastic at winning online votes and straw polls, but that isnt how the Presidential Election Process works. In our current voting process, even from day one, they try to tell us who "we are allowed" to vote for.

We need to lock down a method of winning DELEGATES more so than anything else. This strategy is also going to change with each and every single State, and its own rules and policies. If we can get to the Final Election, I believe very strongly that Ron Paul WILL win the election. In think in order to get the number of DELEGATES, we need to specifically address what part of each States DELEGATE selection process needs to be focused on in order to allow us to get passed our first hump.

We need to break down the entire election process into specific steps, and how we can win each one of those steps.

#1. - We need DELEGATES to be "eligible" to stay in the race beyond just the primary.

This being the very first step, should we focus on this? Maybe split threads for specific strategies... Since some states may have similar rules, other states will have different rules, but will be similar enough.

#1.A - Every state that can needs to follow the lead of what happened in Nevada last time. We changed the rules so that we could Nominate and Vote for Delegates from the floor. This is absolutely critical! If we are only allowed to choose from the Delegates they allow us to choose for, we dont have a chance, as they WILL NOT recommend any Delegate in ANY STATE that is a known Ron Paul supporter. We also cant try to fly in under their radar, we need each state to change the rules so that they can get Ron Paul Delegates, and know who each of their Delegates are for each PERSONS corresponding District.

Lets focus on these things first, agreed?

the delegate issue is crucial. In 2008, I remember some Ron Paul supporters crying foul. But everything was legal. So LEARN the rules and beat them at it. If you can change the rules.

tangent4ronpaul
02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
//

mello
02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
People in Louisiana should register Republican much earlier than the deadline because they will probably change the rules on you again before the Caucus.

dblee
02-15-2011, 05:09 PM
I started a thread on this almost a year ago. It's in my signature. Here's what we came up with:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=267199

This is great Deborah, thank you!

Eric21ND
02-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Was the blimp a mistake?

I seem to recall it got recognized on CNN during a segment and earned Ron Paul supporters a reputation for thinking outside the box. (first candidate to have a blimp, and furthermore, paid for by grassroots supporters)

I think we should be open to these neat ideas that set Ron Paul apart from the others, but we should also not cling to any one particular idea in hopes of milking it for more than we can get out of it. So after the blimp had its 15 minutes of fame, we should have been ready with another idea that would have made the MSM have to talk about it.

Yes. It flew in South Carolina and other southern states and they responded by giving Ron Paul some of his worst showings. It got a blurb on CNN but did absolutely nothing to turn out the vote.

Eric21ND
02-15-2011, 09:23 PM
I think we should hire a professional firm to run some focus groups in some of the early states to get a read at where we stand now and do it againt every 2-3 months. The focus group could be comprised of Republican primary voters.

Here's an example:

Republican Focus Group Nov 1, 2007

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/201979-1

Peter Hart conducted a focus group among Virginia Republican primary voters on behalf of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. This was the second of approximately ten groups, which will be held in various locations throughout the presidential campaign. The goal is to understand voter perceptions of the presidential candidates and the issues shaping the 2008 presidential race. Following the focus group, political reporters who watched the group shared their reactions.

- Several voters want to end the Iraq war @ 25:30 min

- List of republican candidates @ 45:00 min

- Ron Paul mentioned @ 1:06:43

dbill27
02-15-2011, 09:50 PM
As to the focus idea above, I have a close friend who is a vice president of marketing at a huge company, she's been behind lots of national tv ads that have scored extremely high in focus groups. She isn't in to politics but she knows how to sell things and how to market, ill have to ask her opinions and maybe hopefully she can join the cause!

TruckinMike
02-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Expect no help from the media whatsoever. Only expect psychological tricks from them. Find ways to get out in front of that.

Everyone should have at least one sign with a 30 foot pole (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?78181-YouTube-30ft-Pole-Ron-Paul-Sign-Guy/page1) - for that opportune moment in front of the cameras...He he!

Brad Zink
02-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Door-to-door has a big impact. By hanging fliers on doorknobs, we can hit entire neighborhoods in a day.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2221/1614028193_45bbf82711.jpg?v=1192707068

Creating our own commercials: we can buy air time in Iowa and other early caucus states.

http://www.electricscotland.com/thomson/images/22.17%20WatchingTV.jpg

Focus on caucus states: We did much better during this process in 2008. It is more open and harder to rig.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/78378440.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789219B309651A2344B3F82FCD2B444A357B6 54D81A77399DE7702DFD2E27217DFD88

We can use public access to show patriot films such as America: Freedom to Fascism (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173) featuring Dr. Paul.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3044/2832548260_59646fe4e9.jpg

We can contact our local radio talkshows to have Dr. Paul on as a guest in studio or via phone.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/50/l_5bd70db9ccadbd96e642f6d6561ec4ae.jpg

And most important: We can start today!

Kludge
02-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Everyone should have at least one sign with a 30 foot pole (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?78181-YouTube-30ft-Pole-Ron-Paul-Sign-Guy/page1) - for that opportune moment in front of the cameras...He he!
User's account terminated, video no longer available & can't find elsewhere. Anyone have a working link?

- We have a bunch of '08 slim jims left. Should we use them again for '12? The info on them is very solid...

Brad Zink
02-16-2011, 01:29 AM
- We have a bunch of '08 slim jims left. Should we use them again for '12? The info on them is very solid...

You could try putting stickers over the "Ron Paul 2008" heading and the web address at the bottom, with updated information on the stickers.

tangent4ronpaul
02-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Door-to-door has a big impact. By hanging fliers on doorknobs, we can hit entire neighborhoods in a day.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2221/1614028193_45bbf82711.jpg?v=1192707068

That looks like you turned a slimjim into a door hanger - how?

thanks,

-t

Dreamofunity
02-16-2011, 08:10 AM
The GOP and the MSM don't like us, don't want us, and will actively work to marginalize and diminish our standing and points. They don't want to hear debate or arguments, they simply want to retain power, and oppose any one/thing that is a threat to that. They hold view points that are fundamentally oppose to large portions of our ideology either as war mongers or violent social conservatives (by force), to where the only inkling of shared thought is fiscal conservativism, which looking through history, very few conservatives are actually for. If fiscal conservativism implies coming home from the war or opposing the drug war -- which it does, they drop any support beyond rhetoric when it comes to the fiscal leg of the three legged stool.

Can anyone really say the present day, and for some time, GOP is for limited government? No.

That's the lesson I learned, how it can be used in 2012 is undetermined, other than to make the focus an educational endeavor and to that extent reach as many people as possible from all ideologies. The lesson above stands for figure heads, radio talk show hosts, politicians, tv hosts, the 'intellectuals,' etc. not the average voter, and same can be said for anyone on the left. Muddling the message in a slim attempt to gain people fundamentally oppose to us seems irrational to me. I think limiting the message to just fiscal conservativism, ignoring the war and civil liberties, ignores potential converts to the message not in the specified targeted primary voters, which may otherwise ignore the message of liberty.

TruckinMike
02-16-2011, 08:13 AM
This is my opinion, and these are the associated facts:

A solid platform that Americans can understand with a sound byte sentence to describe each plank.

At the top of the list should be a plank for Small Business. This subject got the most acceptance for me in the 2008 cycle from the establishment in both parties because the facts are irrefutable and no one will speak against a stand for Small Business.
ALL Politicians will all avoid attacking proposals to help Small Business.
Small Business people are a huge untapped group from which to build a strong base.

In the 2008 crisis, TBTF and the Federal Government got ALL of the available capital and the SBA budget was shrunk to 1/7,000 of the federal budget. How's that workin' out so far?

IOW, the controversial issues are attacked and argued to death. This issue will not be attacked by any pol with the desire to be re-elected. It got me an instant in with my state Senators, Reps and GOP wanks as a delegate, whereas most RP supporters there were sneered at and shunned for their "radical" positions.

Just my 2 cents...

Bosso

I second that motion!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for advertising suggestions:

We need low cost, but effective advertising. Enter COROPLAST signs! Yes similar to the yard signs, professionally printed and posted everywhere. I mean everywhere!

Many folks (egos) will scoff at these little innocuous signs, but when one looks at the total number of hits that they create eyes begin to widen, heads begin to turn, and folks begin to listen.

These signs work! They are absolutely the most cost efficient way to advertise. Hands down. And when you take into consideration WE can MAKE these ourselves we are only paying for materials.

(1) 18"x24" 2 color screen printed sign cost about $1.50 to make + screen costs ($75-150 depending on volume and type) Each Group needs one screen. It will last for 10,000+ signs.

Just imagine if we made "Hang Ten for Ron Paul" an intra-campaign slogan.
Meetup groups could buy a screen, then a have screen printing parties all over the US where folks came to help print and buy their signs at $1.50 each. These meetups could then distribute (10) sign packages for $15.00 at events to supporters.

We saw what happened with the Revolution sign campaign, the guerrilla marketing went wild -- we need that to happen again except we need to get EVERY supporter involved with buying/making the waterproof, long lasting, professionally screen printed signs. The last Guerrilla sign campaign was done by a small percentage of the supporters -- This time it must be different.

GOAL: One Million signs posted all across America. That takes <100,000 quasi-active supporters.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8345/ronpaulwagon3.gifhttp://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8026/hangtensurfingsmall.gif

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9153/hangten4ronpaulredfeet.gif

http://media.merchantcircle.com/24765986/hand_medium.gif
Hang Loose...

TMike

PS- Can you Hang Ten?

tangent4ronpaul
02-16-2011, 08:32 AM
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9153/hangten4ronpaulredfeet.gif

This one might get a bit more attention and fits in better with the rEVOLution logo :D

Might have to change the caption to HANG 20! though...

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/3367567/view/1/producttypecolor/351/type/png/width/378/height/378/ash-feet-bed-couple-sex-fun-men_design.png

-t

TruckinMike
02-16-2011, 08:57 AM
This one might get a bit more attention and fits in better with the rEVOLution logo :D

Might have to change the caption to HANG 20! though...

Ha Ha... Yes, really it should be "Hang one hundred" but that might be pushing it. And those little gifs were just for getting Ron Paul supporters on-board with the plan. --- I guess I'm creating an ad campaign within the campaign. :D

tangent4ronpaul
02-16-2011, 09:58 AM
TM, how long have surfers been using the feet logo?

SOMA/18-D's have been using it for years, except the feet look more like the pic I posted (single pair) and they are green and positioned more like yours...

-t

Brad Zink
02-16-2011, 10:21 AM
That looks like you turned a slimjim into a door hanger - how?

My meetup group ordered the slim jims from the campaign, punched a hole in the top and looped a rubber band through the hole.

http://www.electricholepunch.net/wp-content/themes/AnXFactor/images/SingleHolePunch.jpg

The image below is from another meetup group:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2404/1614030823_8a244db837_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11667482@N06/1614030823/in/set-72157623538012616/)

From this picture, it looks like they printed the slim jim template onto a sheet of paper with a blank space at the top for the knob hole. They then cut the paper into two slim jims and punched out the hole.

White door hangers can be purchased online:
http://www.thepapermillstore.com/gsearch.php?substring=door+hanger&num=30

tangent4ronpaul
02-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks BZ,

+rep

It looks like they are using some kind of (low cost?) special punch to do that.

pre-punched stock for door hangers is expensive.
so is color printing.

Know about the rubber band trick. Effective, but not as professional looking.

-t

Zack
02-16-2011, 11:18 AM
If every month or two has a moneybomb, then no month will have a moneybomb.

(variation of "If everyone is special, then no one is")

jmdrake
02-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Precincts can be really small and the precinct leader program was a trainwreck. If you've got 10 precinct leaders in a state with 1,000 precincts, is it better for each of those 10 to knock on each door in their precinct 10 times during an election cycle, or knock on each door ONCE in 100 precincts? Don't think too hard.

The problem with the precinct program was that it was too little too late. People had been convinced that they were "doing something" by going to mass rallies, sign waving etc. I know in Nashville at once time we had hundreds willing to show up and march and sign wave downtown. Did we every have over 100 willing to be precinct leaders? That said, you can't force people to do stuff. But people have to be willing to do more than spam Internet polls and wave/post signs. We do need to understand our own strengths/weaknesses. I hate making phone calls, but I enjoy going door to door. So precinct leaders show share resources. I help you finish your door knocking, you help me finish my phone banking. We also need to set realistic goals and then expand those goals once they've been reached. If my goal is to knock on 10 doors I'll definitely get that done. But if my goal is 100 or 1,000 doors, I might give up after 5 (realizing I'll never reach the goal) and stop.

Speaking of phone banking, we should consider robocalls in certain situations. For instance, if we've identified Ron Paul supporters, we don't need humans to call and remind them to get out and vote on election day. A recorded call by Dr. Paul himself will suffice and may even be better appreciated.

The critical part, is choosing the right precincts. Ones you can win. If you have good support in a precinct, that's probably one you want to ignore, because you have a good shot of winning it anyway. Likewise precincts your opposition has in the bag – you are just wasting time and resources. It's the fence sitters, ones leaning your way and independent neighborhoods where you can make differences. All this means getting voter info and doing math. Trying to knock on the right doors or at least doors in the right precincts.

Did we have any precincts "in the bag" in 2008? If so, then those precincts need to be worked for the purpose of recruiting more volunteers. As for the other precincts, it's too early to know at this point whether or not they are winnable. Really, without doing the "voter identification" legwork how do you know? If they voted for McCain last time they might be still be dissolutioned with the GOP establishment. If they voted for Obama, they might be dissalutioned now with the liberal establishment. Plus in open primary states you might get democrats who still support Obama to crossover and vote for Paul since Obama will likely run unopposed and they might have bought the MSM kool-aid into believing Paul isn't a "threat" since he "can't win".

Also, it's safer to go on groups and easier to get ppl to go with you if someone is on the other side of the street working with you. You get more mileage from fliers, unless you know you are talking to a primary voter.

Yes and yes.

Facebook is pretty hostile to ongoing organizing. Broken up a bit:

As to everyone starting their own RP fan page – please don't. Try this for starters – go to Facebook and
try to find RP state groups from last time. They are out there. Their search engine let you down? Now imagine tens of thousands of Facebook pages with “Ron Paul” in the name. Worse, without organization and uniform naming, not only can't you find them, but if you try to communicate with them – you are treated as spam and get your account suspended. The variety of naming conventions also varies widely.

Facebook also has rules about who can set up what kind of group for what and will boot you for violating them. Organization groups are seriously neutered as to capability. If you want to do an event, you have to create an event facebook page. Imagine doing that weekly for in person meetups or in some cases we were doing daily and sometimes a couple of time a day conference calls. Meetup supports this, facebook does not. Oh, Meetup costs $70 for 6 months. Bit over $10 a month or $250 a week and you get THREE Meetups for that price! How much do you spend on a good cup of coffee?

Even with Meetup. We have problems with organization wide communication due to their business model. But we are a widely distributed grassroots organization, and that will always be our biggest problem. There are other issues with Facebook, but I don't want to write a book. It has a place in our plans, but just a place.

Facebook and Meetup are no longer the only games in town.

See: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?278304-A-Better-Means-of-Organizing&highlight=betterway

TruckinMike
02-16-2011, 12:26 PM
TM, how long have surfers been using the feet logo?

-t

Who knows...

I robbed the feet graphic from the clothing line (http://www.hangten.com/Hangten.html). But the "Hang ten" campaign I envisioned would only be an intra-campaign, not meant for public consumption. --- I'm just trying to find something catchy that Ron Paul activists could use to get qausi-activists moving in the right direction concerning hanging/posting signs. That is if and only if I can convince the "activists" that hanging coroplast "Ron Paul for Pres" or "Champion of the Constitution" or "whatever we come up with" type campaign signs is a worthy goal. I whole heartily believe know that it is.

I had signs like this in mind...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2089/1509675990_7fae80799a_m.jpg

Imagine ONE MILLION weather proof, long lasting signs posted in support of Ron Paul --- It is very doable. And once its paid for, Its the gift that keeps on giving --- unlike Radio, TV, Newspapers, Magazines, and billboards.

Would you pay $15 for 10 coroplast signs worth $45 from a meetup group at an event? Especially if the "Hang Ten for Ron Paul" phrase is actively being used among activist - on forums, websites, etc.."Have you hung your ten signs?", "Can you hang Ten?", "Where did you hang your ten signs?", --- "Hanging ten" has a whole new meaning!

So I ask again...

Can You Hang Ten?

TMike

tangent4ronpaul
02-16-2011, 12:33 PM
TM - like the idea!

Hang 10 - gets the athletic types
Hang 20 - Gets the single ppl
Hang 100 - scares away the social conservatives, but gets the disillusioned Obamabots :D

-t

TruckinMike
02-16-2011, 12:46 PM
TM - like the idea!

-t

Maybe i should changed the graphic to a big gallow with ten nooses- I wonder if that would create more appeal? I think catching those pesky politicians would be hard.:D

http://factoidz.com/images/user/hangemhighgallowsscene(1).jpg

Can you hang ten? Yep, just did! Ha ha

TMike

libertybrewcity
02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Keep the message simple.

Stay away from the War on Drugs at least around people older than 25.

The battle will be won not solely with the internet, but with a healthy mix of internet AND physical activism. A campaign cannot be won solely through large money bombs and forum posts. Going door to door is the most effective way to win a campaign. The internet is only a way to connect with others and to promote events.

tangent4ronpaul
02-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Stay away from the War on Drugs at least around people older than 25.

I don't know about that. The WoD's is a huge part of our failed foreign policy. It's why we have more people in jail than any other country. It's why we have violence south of the border. Like prohibition, it's a failed policy. There are lots of reasons to be against it without being pro-drug, including that other countries that have legalized them have seen a drop in usage and that treatment is a lot less expensive than incarceration. Keeping them illegal also drives up prices, and that leads to increased crime to pay for addictions.

This should be a big issue!

-t

JVParkour
02-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Here is how to make doorhangers. If you look in the picture, the yellow things in the background are the hole punchers.

1"- http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/item/Circle-Hole-Punch-1/2904.011/457189.html

1.5"- http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=619&q=hole+punch+1.5+inch&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10552996449546942716&ei=HzRcTdy5EIyr8AailtjbDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CGoQ8wIwAA#

2"- http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=hole+punch+2+inch&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=816861939120750511&ei=TTRcTd3sCoH-8Aa8-Pn5Dw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CIEBEPMCMAA#

Not sure which size would be best...

tangent4ronpaul
02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Good find!

I'm thinking 1.5"