PDA

View Full Version : Would You Vote for Donald Trump vs. Obama if Ron Paul Drops and the Race is Close?

dannno
02-15-2011, 01:45 AM
Considering:

Trump is more left-wing than Obama on foreign policy and defense. Let's not forget he was more pessimistic about the War in Iraq than Harry Reid and accused President Bush about lying about WMDs and "everything." This is also the same man who said, "Saddam Hussein will be a nice person compared to the person who takes over."

http://spectator.org/blog/2011/02/10/trump-card

And also I would imagine he would be more business-friendly in a free market way than Obama.

MaxPower
02-15-2011, 01:48 AM
I will have to look more thoroughly into Trump's platform. There is a bit of personal sting there from his remarks about Dr. Paul, but then, we must try not to let petty quarrels get in the way of ideas, as Dr. Paul himself would say. That said, this is purely a hypothetical, since, as Rand noted, Trump's chances are far less than Ron Paul's.

t0rnado
02-15-2011, 01:52 AM
I won't vote unless Ron Paul is the Republican nominee.

dbill27
02-15-2011, 01:58 AM
It will be very important to the freedom movement to fill any spots on the supreme court that may open up with conservatives. We can't afford to lose any ground in the courts, the effects of which could last decades. That's while ill probably be voting republican over obama unless someone extremely terrifying gets the nomination

dannno
02-15-2011, 02:11 AM
I'd also like to hear from the protectionists, since Trump is one..

Gaius1981
02-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Trump has zero chance. He's said he's a Democrat, he's said he's pro-choice, he's donated to Rahm Emanuel and several other Democratic candidates, he's tight with Michael Bloomberg, etc. There's such an endless array of fodder for other Republicans to use against him. He's just in this for some cheap and quick PR.

AtomiC
02-15-2011, 02:29 AM
I would never vote for Donald Trump or Obama in a million years...

Texan4Life
02-15-2011, 02:52 AM

+1

hugolp
02-15-2011, 02:53 AM
Since when being anti-war is more left-wing in the USA? Expanding democracy around the world was a progressive talking point.

anaconda
02-15-2011, 03:09 AM
Trump seems too full of himself to be a disciplined leader. Plus I've never heard him speak about the Constitution.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-15-2011, 05:07 AM
Since when being anti-war is more left-wing in the USA? Expanding democracy around the world was a progressive talking point.

Exactly. War-mongering has always been a progressive trait, and it stems from their same desires to forcefully control all the actions of the domestic population to impose their standard culture of what is right and wrong. You see it today. They massively tax cigarettes, sugar, salt, and all sorts of things. Obama is the classic case of the traditional progressive and progressives today don't even realize it. I mean do they realize their entire philosophy is built on coercion, violence, war, and control? It's completely inimical to what they profess to believe in. If they were really against these things and you know for civil liberties and against war, they'd become libertarians, but they have this absurd notion that libertarianism is somehow aristocratic and corporatist against the people when it is opposite those things. Libertarianism is the peoples philosophy.

nobody's_hero
02-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Why would someone as wealthy and powerful as Trump want to be president, unless he had something personal to gain from it? Maybe that's not fair of me to say, this early in the game.

blabam
02-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Obama! better setup for Rand!

amy31416
02-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Trump is an establishment wanna-be, and he'd sell out in a second on his alleged anti-war stance, along with his alleged pro-business stance.

Not a suitable alternative.

reduen
02-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Trump is a chump.... No reason to believe that he would be any different than Obama.

dean.engelhardt
02-15-2011, 07:39 AM

With the performance of the two parties, it is conceivable that a write could win in my life time.

If the people of Egypt are willing to face off against deadly force for three weeks, shouldn't we be willing to sacrifice an hour standing in line? Please vote for Ron Paul even if he doesn't get the nomination. It will make you feel better.

ClayTrainor
02-15-2011, 07:43 AM
if it's between Trump and Obama, why would any libertarian even bother to waste their time with voting?

newbitech
02-15-2011, 07:48 AM
+1

+2

Yieu
02-15-2011, 07:49 AM
if it's between Trump and Obama, why would any libertarian even bother to waste their time with voting?

Maybe third party, at least just to make them appear more viable (if the candidates aren't too terrible).

Yieu
02-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Trump is an establishment wanna-be, and he'd sell out in a second on his alleged anti-war stance, along with his alleged pro-business stance.

Not a suitable alternative.

+rep

This is pretty much it. I doubt his anti-war credentials, he does not have a record to back it up, and I don't really get a "liberty vibe" from him. Especially not after that comment at CPAC, which makes me believe he will cave to establishment warmongering once in office, if he isn't just lying about the anti-war stance in the first place.

Zatch
02-15-2011, 08:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPFkFjZhteQ

AlexMerced
02-15-2011, 08:08 AM
I don't vote for protectionist, period

Freedom 4 all
02-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Trump has an classic and very extreme case of narcissistic personality disorder. It doesn't matter what he says, he can't be trusted. Narcissists will say or do anything to obtain power at any cost, because they truly believe mankind needs them.

wormyguy
02-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Yes. You have to recognize that primary opponents generally criticize each other in any given election. Trump is my third choice after Paul and Johnson (probably the only GOPhers I'd vote for at this point).

dannno
02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Yes. You have to recognize that primary opponents generally criticize each other in any given election. Trump is my third choice after Paul and Johnson (probably the only GOPhers I'd vote for at this point).

Ya I am undecided, but if he seemed really genuine about ending the wars it would be a tough choice..

Although I'm sure his favourite subject isn't the Constitution, at least he says he likes Ron Paul. That's a start.

matt0611
02-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Would I rather have Trump in the white house than Obama? Sadly, yes, I would. Thats how bad Obama is.

I still won't vote for him though, I'd write in Ron or vote for the Libertarian or Constitution candidate.

MelissaCato
02-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Still writing in Ron Paul, like last time. Ron Paul 2012 !!!

dean.engelhardt
02-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Still writing in Ron Paul, like last time. Ron Paul 2012 !!!

Rep added. The revolution cannot be won by sitting on your couch on election day.

SilentBull
02-16-2011, 09:07 AM
The worst thing that could happen to our movement is a non-Paulian beating Obama in 2012. The republicans will once again be blamed for the economy, and come 2016 or 2020, the democrats will again be able to take control.

If Ron Paul (or Johnson) does not win in 2012, what we want is Obama to win. This gives Rand Paul an opportunity to win in 2016, as people will blame the democratic president for the economic collapse. If any other republican wins, it will be much tougher for Rand Paul to become president before 2028!

Not to mention that the republicans will once again forget about conservatism.

CaliforniaMom
02-16-2011, 09:09 AM
I'd still write in Ron Paul, just like I did during the last election.

NewFederalist
02-16-2011, 09:16 AM
I think Trump is just looking for leverage to get NBC to renew his extremely tired TV show. He gets a lot of cash flow from it unlike a lot of his other investments.

RyanRSheets
02-16-2011, 09:27 AM
No. All I know he stands for is bashing China, and he has a lot of bad stances in his past, like support for some kind of single-payer/voucher health care system.