PDA

View Full Version : Chris Matthews discusses CPAC and Ron Paul - includes video

sailingaway
02-15-2011, 12:24 AM
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chris-matthews-cpac-carnival-is-the-first-primaries-in-crazyland/

but he doesn't admit that 10% would actually pay for services like roads....

although, to tell you the truth, I think Ron would do better not to 'run on' that program. I think people are just getting a taste of how hard it will be to cut what absolutely needs to be cut now, without getting into what it would take to make that program become real. I'm afraid it may make people who are starting to take him seriously decide he isn't, after all, serious.

But that is just my 2 cents.

nayjevin
02-15-2011, 01:30 AM
I don't think so. I think 'what could we pay with 10%' is easier to think about than the circus going on in D.C. People can see that the knuckleheads up there are doing it wrong. Talk about something doable and common sense - like let people opt out for lower taxes - instead of arguing all the time over taxes.

sratiug
02-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Roads are state/local.

StilesBC
02-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Exactly. He was talking about federal income taxes for federal government services. I don't know why he hasn't stressed this when asked about it. After all, he's a federal representative. He'd be the first to say he has no intention of dictating policy to the states - operating within the constitution, that is.

I really wish he had been more clear and precise in making this, admittedly rhetorical, proposal. As he stated it, it could be easily picked apart by leftist partisans and interpreted in such a way to make it sound pretty dumb.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-15-2011, 02:11 AM
The only thing nutty is that Chrissy boy doesn't think people would save for their retirement. I mean what the fuck does he think people do now? Live entirely off the Government (Sorry sorry, live entirely off their neighbor) post age 65 or what? He lives in bizarro nutty land with that statement.

anaconda
02-15-2011, 03:41 AM
I'm surprised that Ron proposed any form of income tax. Why didn't he propose an opt out sales tax?

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-15-2011, 04:58 AM
I'm surprised that Ron proposed any form of income tax. Why didn't he propose an opt out sales tax?

He said it was rhetorical to gauge the support for opting out of the entire system. I sorta figured this, but I think it was a bad way to go about it. He clarified it on I think CNN or MSNBC yesterday. He even said he's against income tax (of course), and always has been. Ron is anti-all taxation so I mean its no surprise.

If you analyze what taxation is used for and don't buy into the myth of public service or its for your own good and protection non-sense, it's a giant wealth transfer and social engineering scheme. I mean look at the Whiskey Rebellion. Many of the Founders didn't like how the people used their liberties so they wanted to impose a tax on whiskey to curb use, and even worse is that whiskey was sometimes used as currency, so it had even worse effect. Then they turn around and use this to say -- look how chaotic freedom and liberty is we must need centralized Government since the Articles, or whatever limited Government/Anarchy doesn't work. It's classic Hegelian bullshit.

torchbearer
02-15-2011, 07:23 AM
i was thinking 10% goes to national defense.

bolidew
02-15-2011, 07:25 AM
He explained it on CNBC's Kudlow show.

ctiger2
02-15-2011, 10:08 AM

On CNBC last night he mentioned that he just threw that idea out there as rhetorical to see what kind of response he'd get. This am on FOX he said he'd want to eliminate federal income tax completely.

Chieppa1
02-15-2011, 10:32 AM
For what its worth, I posted Ron's "proposal" in FB (without saying who said it), and I got a lot of support. Then, when things calmed down, I mentioned it was Ron Paul's idea. Little seeds in minds, education works.