PDA

View Full Version : Amazon to shut Texas distribution center to avoid state tax tyranny

Bryan
02-14-2011, 11:50 PM
The State of Texas wants Amazon to collect and remit sales tax for shipments within Texas since they have a warehouse in the state. Amazons response: close the distribution center and cancel plans for a new one.

We'll see if Texas tries to go after the $269 million they claim Amazon "owes" them.

http://news.bookweb.org/news/amazon-pulling-out-texas-over-sales-tax

Related:
Amazon Plays Hardball With IL Over New Sales Tax Law
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?275164-Amazon-Plays-Hardball-With-IL-Over-New-Sales-Tax-Law

Kotin
02-14-2011, 11:56 PM
:mad:

libertybrewcity
02-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Texas..tsk tsk. I am sure the threat of leaving alone will keep TX off their backs.

Humanae Libertas
02-15-2011, 01:13 AM
I hope other states don't start to tax online stores.

aGameOfThrones
02-15-2011, 05:08 AM
Now the employees who worked at that warehouse won't be able to pay "sales tax" either...

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-15-2011, 05:19 AM
Now the employees who worked at that warehouse won't be able to pay "sales tax" either...

That logic escapes the grasp of Statists. Any logical thought is immediately recoiled and spat upon as heresy in their minds. It's completely antithetical to the Governments aims.

amy31416
02-15-2011, 05:23 AM
Kudos to Amazon for sending a clear cause-and-effect message to TX and IL. It is a shame for those negatively effected, but I can't think of a better way to keep these sort of initiatives in check.

HOLLYWOOD
02-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Kudos to Amazon for sending a clear cause-and-effect message to TX and IL. It is a shame for those negatively effected, but I can't think of a better way to keep these sort of initiatives in check.

Watchout, now what will happen is a backdoor deal to give Amazon a tax-credit od some sort to match any paid taxes. The residences of Texas will probably pay in the long run. Plenty of historical, track records of states and corporations striking deals in collaborating schemes.