PDA

View Full Version : Slate: Patriot Act sails through the House (mentions Ron and Rand)

sailingaway
02-14-2011, 08:20 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel/archive/2011/02/14/patriot-act-sails-through-house.aspx

__27__
02-14-2011, 08:22 PM
I lol'd.

Inkblots
02-14-2011, 08:38 PM
I lol'd.

We laugh, lest we cry, eh?

sailingaway
02-14-2011, 08:42 PM
So why didn't Amash vote for the expedited review of Constitutional violations?

QueenB4Liberty
02-14-2011, 08:51 PM
I loled too.

Well, vote the bastards out.

Inkblots
02-14-2011, 08:53 PM
So why didn't Amash vote for the expedited review of Constitutional violations?

He also voted against the motion to recommit. What's his deal?

__27__
02-14-2011, 08:57 PM
We laugh, lest we cry, eh?

And so the bill gets kicked to the Senate, where Rand Paul is waiting, sharpening a knife like Karen Black at the end of the voodoo doll segment of Trilogy of Terror.*

*possibly less horrifying than this

I thought it was funny.

Brett85
02-14-2011, 10:00 PM
He also voted against the motion to recommit. What's his deal?

Those were meaningless procedural votes. There were only two Republicans who voted for that. 27 voted against the actual bill.

Warrior_of_Freedom
02-14-2011, 11:21 PM
What clause of the constitution gives the government the authority to pass legislation such as the patriot act? O wait, none. So we shouldn't abide by it.

sailingaway
02-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Those were meaningless procedural votes. There were only two Republicans who voted for that. 27 voted against the actual bill.

They were NOT meaningless at all.

Brett85
02-14-2011, 11:37 PM
They were NOT meaningless at all.

They're always meaningless when they're simply party line votes. That's the way the procedural votes are. It's simply a custom of the house. But if you want to keep bashing a great representative like Justin Amash because of some procedural vote then go ahead. I'd love to have him as my representative.

sailingaway
02-15-2011, 12:04 AM
They're always meaningless when they're simply party line votes. That's the way the procedural votes are. It's simply a custom of the house. But if you want to keep bashing a great representative like Justin Amash because of some procedural vote then go ahead. I'd love to have him as my representative.

Well, the motion to recommit was to add a requirement that it be enforced in accordance with the Constitution and Constitutional questions be fast tracked. Ron and Walter Jones voted against it, so it wasn't along party lines. And Amash may be better than most and is certainly better than mine, but given his billing, I was surprised.

The motion would have added language to the measure stating that investigations of U.S. citizens under an extended authority "shall be conducted in a manner that complies with the Constitution of the United States," including the Bill of Rights, and would have expedited any federal court proceedings involving investigations of U.S. citizens related to the Patriot Act.

h xxp://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2011/02/patriot-act-extension-passes-h.html

Brett85
02-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Well, the motion to recommit was to add a requirement that it be enforced in accordance with the Constitution and Constitutional questions be fast tracked. Ron and Walter Jones voted against it, so it wasn't along party lines. And Amash may be better than most and is certainly better than mine, but given his billing, I was surprised.

h xxp://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2011/02/patriot-act-extension-passes-h.html

Ron has been in the house for 30 years and can do what he wants to do. It's different for a freshman rep. They're all expected to vote with their party on all procedural votes.