PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul on Federal Education Policy

bobbyw24
02-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Last week, I had the chance to talk with Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), Tea Party favorite, about his views on education policy. Paul, a fierce critic of deficit spending and expansive government, has called for abolishing the federal Department of Education. His recent appointment to the U.S. Senate committee charged with education has boosted interest in his views on schooling. Here's what Sen. Paul had to say on ESEA/NCLB, Race to the Top, abolishing the Department of Ed, DC vouchers, the Common Core, for-profit higher ed, and related subjects.

Rick Hess: Your appointment to HELP has generated a lot of interest in the world of education. An Education Week reporter wrote, "Senator Paul's appointment, obviously, isn't curtains for 400 Maryland Ave. But the Senator is obviously going to be a tough customer who probably won't rush to sign off on the administration's ideas for ESEA renewal." What's your take on that kind of reaction?
Senator Rand Paul: It sounds fairly accurate. I object to both Republicans and Democrats who think that we should federalize education. I can't tell you how long it's been part of the Republican philosophy...that we believe in state and local control of schools. I think there's a philosophic argument for it but there's also a practical argument for it--we don't have any money.

RH: What kind of role do you see yourself playing as the Senate takes up ESEA reauthorization and the administration's school reform agenda?

http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/rick_hess_straight_up/2011/02/straight_up_conversation_senator_rand_paul_on_fede ral_ed_policy.html