PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Gets New Solid Talking points on "Defense" vs. "Militarism"

anaconda
02-14-2011, 07:07 PM
I am so happy today that Dr. Paul finally got some concise bumper sticker statements so that the masses won't view him as weak on foreign policy. This has been long overdue and was also missing from the 2008 campaign. He said "I want a stronger defense!" by doing away with the interventionism of the military industrial complex! The way he phrased this on Morning Joe was a new wrinkle. This will be crucial to getting rank and file GOP voters to break from the pack in voting for an establishment candidate. I also like that he is aggressively calling Obama a "war monger." This is the right approach. Dr. Paul is turning up the rhetoric!

axiomata
02-14-2011, 07:09 PM
I am so happy today that Dr. Paul finally got some concise bumper sticker statements so that the masses won't view him as weak on foreign policy. This has been long overdue and was also missing from the 2008 campaign. He said "I want a stronger defense!" by doing away with the interventionism of the military industrial complex! The way he phrased this on Morning Joe was a new wrinkle. This will be crucial to getting rank and file GOP voters to break from the pack in voting for an establishment candidate. I also like that he is aggressively calling Obama a "war monger." This is the right approach. Dr. Paul is turning up the rhetoric!

I can't help but think he wouldn't be approaching the topic this way now if he he wasn't planning on running in the Republican primary.

anaconda
02-14-2011, 07:10 PM
I can't help but think he wouldn't be approaching the topic this way now if he he wasn't planning on running in the Republican primary.

I think you're exactly spot on.

Maximus
02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Agreed, it looks like he sat down with people and sharpened his talking points. That interview featured new arguments I hadn't heard from him before (in terms of the words he used)

Paulatized
02-14-2011, 07:52 PM
He and Rand do live together don't they..........

archangel689
02-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Those boys are plotting...I do think that little statement came from Rand's mind.

"Listen to me dad..."

anaconda
02-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Those boys are plotting...I do think that little statement came from Rand's mind.

"Listen to me dad..."

I didn't think of that. I wonder why Ron didn't spin defense this way back in 2008? This might explain it. Didn't Benton or any of those people think of this?

nayjevin
02-14-2011, 09:40 PM
The argument has been around, he just did a good job of making it concise here. We've always argued that our foreign policy makes us weaker, but the way he laid it out was very understandable.

Matt Collins
02-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Ron MUST change his phrasing if he is to win the 2012 primaries. Ron and Rand living together is a great thing.

low preference guy
02-14-2011, 09:47 PM
I didn't think of that. I wonder why Ron didn't spin defense this way back in 2008? This might explain it. Didn't Benton or any of those people think of this?

I heard him say that many times actually. But maybe now he'll repeat it every time he is asked about the "defense" budget.

pcosmar
02-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Disbanding the ATF would go a long way toward a strong defense. And would be savings rather than expense.

anaconda
02-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Ron MUST change his phrasing if he is to win the 2012 primaries. Ron and Rand living together is a great thing.

You mean change further from his phrasing on Morning Joe? Or, does this morning's phrasing represent ample adjustment?

dbill27
02-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Thought it was pretty sweet that morning joe had "Ron Paul Revolution" at the bottom of the screen during Ron's interview. I dont see any other news show doing that

bolidew
02-14-2011, 10:04 PM
This is the year of Revolution, around the world!

Matt Collins
02-14-2011, 10:11 PM
You mean change further from his phrasing on Morning Joe? Or, does this morning's phrasing represent ample adjustment?Today's interview was a step in the right direction.

freshjiva
02-14-2011, 10:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhHycSdE_jw

The distinction between defense and military spending has been made before by Ron Paul. See this video from May, 2010 when Barney Frank and Ron Paul formed a coalition to cut military spending.

Jump straight to 5:50.

nayjevin
02-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Thought it was pretty sweet that morning joe had "Ron Paul Revolution" at the bottom of the screen during Ron's interview. I dont see any other news show doing that

don't see any other shows with Mika Brzezinski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mika_Brzezinski) either:

Brzezinski was born in New York City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City), the daughter of foreign policy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_policy) expert and former National Security Advisor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Advisor_%28United_States%29) Zbigniew Brzezinski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zbigniew_Brzezinski)

We were very nice to her last time around. Looks like the result of that is that she doesn't say much when Ron is on but kisses his butt as he leaves.

KramerDSP
02-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Agreed, it looks like he sat down with people and sharpened his talking points. That interview featured new arguments I hadn't heard from him before (in terms of the words he used)

During the Morning Joe interview, he said:

They don't like the deficit and they'd like to see them cut but not quite willing -- some of there are real Republicans and wouldn't dare attack Bush's increases in medical care costs, prescription health programs. It's they treat the symptoms and don't look at it philosophically and knowing what we have to deal with, the role of government. And that's a much bigger, broader problem. That's why I think the young people are willing to look at -- the people i'm talking to are willing to look at the whole philosophy of it.

Doesn't that seem like Ron's being coached to stop saying "young people" so much and start implying he has a wider base than that? But he just can't help himself, as he referred to the "young people" 4 times in that interview anyway.

With this new Rand-style "defense" terminology of Ron's, armed with his emboldened "I am the only Republican can call out Obama on the wars, patriot act, drones, etc. and not look like a hypocrite in the process" mantra, it seems obvious both that he's running and that he's going all in, no holds barred.

nayjevin
02-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Doesn't that seem like Ron's being coached to stop saying "young people" so much and start implying he has a wider base than that? But he just can't help himself, as he referred to the "young people" 4 times in that interview anyway.

I believe he is rightfully courting the young vote, because young people are constantly getting reminders of the importance of liberty when they are consistently screwed over by school administrators, parents, judges, and cops.

Only Ron can bring in the masses of kids who would not be excited about anyone else. It is a similar situation with the disenfranchised 'they all suck' nonvoters. There is a winning formula there: people who did not vote last election, but vote for Ron this time + the people who vote for Ron again. This may be a better angle than trying to convert people who knew about Ron Paul but didn't vote for him last time.

anaconda
02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
don't see any other shows with Mika Brzezinski either:

Do you mean you think she has another gig? She's always on Morning Joe. She almost always takes a very endearing approach toward Ron. I hope the apple dropped a very long way from the tree in her case.

KramerDSP
02-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Everytime I watch the show, Mika seems annoyed with Joe. He always seems to barge in and give a long-winded speech just when she is about to say something.

anaconda
02-14-2011, 10:47 PM

I also wish he would tweak this a little. Usually candidates with the youth following get their ass kicked (Eugene McCarthy, etc.). The "young people" are probably going to support Ron anyway. I would like to see him refer to it a little more scientifically, like maybe "the demographic of the 18 to 29 year old voter is very interested in liberty issues and represents a rapidly growing segment.." or something like that. It always sounds like a disconnect when Ron says "young people" since he is in his seventies.

nayjevin
02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Do you mean you think she has another gig? She's always on Morning Joe. She almost always takes a very endearing approach toward Ron. I hope the apple dropped a very long way from the tree in her case.

No, I was sarcastically mimicking the word pattern of the post I was responding to, and it was awkward.

I am saying her endearing approach is an act to court us to the show. They figured out before most of the shows that Ron Paul people can be a boon. I think it's mostly contrived. I see an ounce of sweet naivete in her, but also I would hope it was there even if it was not.