PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson weak with NM Republicans

RonPaulFanInGA
02-14-2011, 04:40 PM
http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2011/02/johnson-weak-with-nm-republicans.html

You can add Gary Johnson to the list of Republicans looking at the Presidential race who would have a pretty difficult time even winning a primary in their home state. Just 13% of New Mexico Republicans say Johnson would be their first choice, putting him behind Sarah Palin at 20%, Mike Huckabee at 17%, and Mitt Romney at 16%. Tying Johnson with 13% is Newt Gingrich and after that it's 6% for Tim Pawlenty, 4% for Ron Paul, and 3% for Mitch Daniels.

We found on this poll that Johnson was unusually popular for a Republican with Democrats...but the other edge of that sword is that he's lacking in popularity for a Republican with Republicans, and that's why he does poorly here. Only 46% of GOP primary voters have a favorable opinion of him, placing him well behind Palin's 69%, Huckabee's 67%, Romney's 56%, and Gingrich's 53%.

Austin
02-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Ron Paul at 4%? Ouch.

BamaFanNKy
02-14-2011, 04:46 PM
How does Congressman Paul do with Texas GOP? To be honest, I'd rather see Gov. Johnson's #s in California since it matters more than NM.

Key part is Gov. Johnson does well with the majority party in the state.

Agorism
02-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Johnson+Paul is almost 20%

RonPaulFanInGA
02-14-2011, 04:53 PM
How does Congressman Paul do with Texas GOP?

Gary Johnson was a statewide office-holder. Ron Paul isn't a good example unless the question is: how does Paul poll in TX-14? Mitt Romney (Massachusetts), John Thune (South Dakota), Sarah Palin (Alaska), Mike Huckabee (Arkansas), etc. make for a much more accurate comparison.

They're all in the 40's in their home states for President according to PPP except for Thune: who polls at 37% in South Dakota.

(Though I seem to recall a poll that had Jim DeMint at only 23% or something in the South Carolina GOP primary for President in 2012.)

sailingaway
02-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Ron Paul at 4%? Ouch.

With Gary in the poll in his home state. So people still saying there is no split of the vote?

BamaFanNKy
02-14-2011, 04:58 PM
With Gary in the poll in his home state. So people still saying there is no split of the vote?

http://threadbombing.com/data/media/2/SMH.gif

BamaFanNKy
02-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Gary Johnson was a statewide office-holder. Paul isn't an accurate comparison: Mitt Romney (Massachusetts), John Thune (South Dakota), Sarah Palin (Alaska), Mike Huckabee (Arkansas), etc. are.

They're all in the 40's in their home states for President according to PPP except for Thune: who polls at 37% in South Dakota.

I asked because all the states you listed added up, don't equal the Electoral votes of Texas:
http://electoralcollegetie.com/images/800px-us_electoral_college_map.png
I only ask because in the large scale

Agorism
02-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Johnson should campaign for Paul.

That would build good will for future elections.

BamaFanNKy
02-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Johnson should campaign for Paul.

That would build good will for future elections.

How is running and being in the debate protecting his flank not, a good thing.

libertybrewcity
02-14-2011, 05:10 PM
If Johnson drops out you can bet his delegates would endorse Ron Paul and vice versa. If RP can get 50% of the delegates he can win the nomination. That would not be most impossible thing, especially if he can own all of the small states and kick it in some of the big ones.

RonPaulFanInGA
02-14-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm coming around to the idea that they should both run. Let the cream rise to the top. I still don't think Gary Johnson will do much beyond giving the media a way to try and hurt Ron Paul ("Is Johnson the guy Paul supporters should be supporting?") but maybe Johnson will catch on.

Just hope the one doing worse (be it Ron Paul or Gary Johnson) has the political smarts to get out before Iowa. And that we don't see any stupid co-money bomb things...

sailingaway
02-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Johnson is going to run, so it doesn't matter what we say, but he is a competitor like Huckabee and to me isn't appealing.

BamaFanNKy
02-14-2011, 05:14 PM
I just keep looking at the Electoral college and wonder who either men could get to run with them (since they should not be on the same ticket IMHO) that benefits them politically.

We do need Demint to endorse one or another in South Carolina. Pretty sure he'd endorse Congressman Paul.

wormyguy
02-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Paul is at 6% without Johnson. Johnson takes 2% from both Palin and Paul, so ironically the margin between them (16%) is the same with or without Johnson.

RonPaulFanInGA
02-14-2011, 05:16 PM
We do need Demint to endorse one or another in South Carolina. Pretty sure he'd endorse Congressman Paul.

I'm pretty sure he won't. I like Jim DeMint but can't see him endorsing either of them. Probably Sarah Palin or maybe Mitt Romney again like DeMint did in 2008.

BamaFanNKy
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm pretty sure he won't. I like Jim DeMint but can't see him endorsing either of them. Probably Sarah Palin or maybe Mitt Romney again like DeMint did in 2008.

Thus continuing my lack of respect for Demint.

Agorism
02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Paul+Johnson - almost 20%

I saw some conservative websites who were freaking out at the collective polling of the two together in this state.

wormyguy
02-14-2011, 05:50 PM
In any case, this is a purely academic discussion, as NM has the last primary in the nation.