PDA

View Full Version : My route is in flames (Ron Paul Rider)

ronpaulhawaii
10-22-2007, 11:50 PM
What a friggin mess. Damon was struggling a bit yesterday, the smoke did him in today. He is on a train on his way home...

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

- Theodore Roosevelt

After renting a Uhaul to get him to a station, I am in a room studying these fires. Do not doubt that I am going on. I have been a lone wanderer for decades and these fires are are a tragic obstacle that do not deter me in the least. I have been looking to see if I can volunteer to help. I have already registered with one org and am will look more tomorrow. If I cannot help here I will probably U-Haul to El Centro (if I can get through) and get back on the road. One of the fires (Harris) is directly in my path, Six are causing heavy smoke directly in my path.

WTF

For the praying folk, hundreds of people have lost their homes, perhaps thousands by tomorrow...

What a friggin mess

m

Cali4RonPaul
10-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah the smoke sucks, its drying out my eyes and making it hard to breathe.

NewEnd
Maybe it was not meant to be.
Maybe you need time to get a few more riders.

RP4ME
Please stay safe and stay away form the smoke....you dont know what kind of toxins you could be absorbing. Seriously, just wait it out and begin teh ride when you have clean air! Im sorry About Damon.:(

mdh
10-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Maybe drive beyond the fires and then start biking from beyond them?

Lord Xar
10-22-2007, 11:56 PM
wow... that is such a sad time.

You have gotten this far, so I can only assume you will continue on...

What are you gonna do now.. wait out the fires, volunteer etc... I bet its too early to tell.

well, ping me... if you need anything.

michaelwise
10-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Sorry to here that. It seems that the evil forces of the universe are constantly putting obstacles in our path. Good shall overcome evil, and grant you the strength to complete your mission. Be patient.

ronpaulhawaii
10-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Yeah the smoke sucks, its drying out my eyes and making it hard to breathe.

I really hope the Santa Anas end soon and your place is not threatened.

It is meant to be. I'll go on, one way or another.

Please stay safe and stay away form the smoke....you dont know what kind of toxins you could be absorbing. Seriously, just wait it out and begin teh ride when you have clean air! Im sorry About Damon.:(

Yes, he is very sad. His spirits lifted when I suggested how valuable he will be as I-net support as he now really knows how difficult the road can be. I have known for decades

Maybe drive beyond the fires and then start biking from beyond them?

Yes, if I can't help, I will drive to El Centro

wow... that is such a sad time.

You have gotten this far, so I can only assume you will continue on...

What are you gonna do now.. wait out the fires, volunteer etc... I bet its too early to tell.

well, ping me... if you need anything.

Thanks Xar, They are so stretched I can't get any volunteer info from the net. I'm going to drive to a local station tomorrow and see what I can find out, otherwise find a path through. (I'll drive past them, I may be bold, but am not reckless)

Sad is right. Losing a home to fire really sucks. Clean up is heartbreaking. For those who pray...

The only good thing to report is the dozen bumperstickers and supporters I met (and their friends who are now interested), the hundred or so fliers I gave away and inserted in the "free" newsboxes, and the liberty cards that are now in the hands of many others...

Life goes on

Shatterhand
10-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Where are you now?

ronpaulhawaii
10-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Newport Beach

Look at the mess in front of me

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=114250687465160386813.00043d08ac31fe3357571

and behind me

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid=117631292961056724014.00043d0e9ca465cefeeed&ll=35.960223,-117.443848&spn=4.827737,8.876953&z=7

We went through the smoke of the Santiago fire today

thehittgirl
10-23-2007, 12:55 AM
M, my family lives in Cali, and my aunt is in Malibu, and my mother said her home is very close to the fires.

Stay safe. Prayers goin out!

fluoridatedbrainsoup
10-23-2007, 12:56 AM
Where's the National Guard when you need 'em.. eh?

ronpaulhawaii
10-23-2007, 01:12 AM
M, my family lives in Cali, and my aunt is in Malibu, and my mother said her home is very close to the fires.

Stay safe. Prayers goin out!

Prayers are good right now for all these people.

Where's the National Guard when you need 'em.. eh?

Probably in friggin Iraq, (which is a good point that I may find use for tomorrow.) Bush has sent 6 C-130s that will arrive tomorrow. When RP gets in there should be more available manpower.

ronpaulhawaii
10-23-2007, 09:50 AM
More fires breaking out, Chertoff is here, don't know if that is a good thing. 10,000 people in a stadium. 1000+ homes lost.

Went out for some fruit and the air is bad.

Drive around? or stay and help?

ghemminger
10-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Wow - My sister has been evacuated adn we have had co-workers stay at my house because of HWY closures - this is very real stuff - I can't imaging biking in it - NO WAY!

constituent
10-23-2007, 10:07 AM
ewwww.... co-workers, my prayers are w/ you and your internet provider g

constituent
10-23-2007, 10:11 AM
oh yea, and don't let the smoke get you down... as word spreads and people tell people tell people i would expect a large contingent of followers along the way.

stick with it b/c everything works out in time, in time, in time, in time, time, time, time, time
timetimetimetimetimetimetimetimetimetimetimetimeti metimetimetime' time, time, time, in time,
time, time in time time timetimetimetimetimetime.

i know you know what i mean.

look hard enough and you'll find some perspective on it somewhere.

ksuguy
10-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Maybe you should just get in a truck and drive past the fires and then continue the ride after you are clear of the smoke.

Primbs
10-23-2007, 10:18 AM
We will be waiting in Virginia. Getting here a few days late won't be the end of the world.

Dustancostine
10-23-2007, 10:22 AM
I haven't been following this. Do you have a website for Ron Paul Riders?

Primbs
10-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Where is FEMA?

Lyn
10-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Where is FEMA?

Oh, God No thanks. They don't need to make this situation worse!!!

constituent
10-23-2007, 10:59 AM
I haven't been following this. Do you have a website for Ron Paul Riders?

Ron Paul Riders! (http://www.ronpaulriders.com)

LibertyEagle
10-23-2007, 11:01 AM
I really don't think you should be riding through that smoke. It could badly damage your lungs. Please get a ride through it, or postpone this ride.

We need you and don't want you to be hurt.

PongGod
10-23-2007, 11:05 AM

This is yet another conspiracy by the MSM to keep Ron Paul from spreading his message of freedom! :D

- Robert -

fez2008
10-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey.. Stay safe. Please drive to elcentro directly and do not bike or stop on the way. Sorry about Damon.. hope you wont feel alone on the way and there will be plenty of supporters to greet you...

slantedview
10-23-2007, 11:31 AM
The fires will probably be burning for a while. I'd just relocate the riding away from the smoke and start up the ride again, if at all possible.

Good luck guys.

kylejack
10-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Where is FEMA?
They're at the borders turning away free market help that's trying to get through, I'm certain.

ronpaulhawaii
10-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the obvious concern, RP supporters are the best. I just got back from the police and fire house. They appreciated my offer to help but recommend I "get out of Dodge". There is still one route (to drive) open. Smoke is bad everywhere.

I have a U-haul, and the new RP supporter there just gave me a 20% discount on a one way trip to El Centro. I'll be back on the road tomorrow. This is tragic for so many, thanks to all who keep them in our prayers. I'll update the blog later.

cindyjd
10-23-2007, 01:47 PM
My dearest Mike. You know I am praying for you. God has a plan. You are a vital part of that plan. I know you will keep the faith and God will look after you. "This is a test, this is only a test" Stay tuned to God's direction----He knows the way.
Much Aloha,
cindy

DjLoTi
10-23-2007, 01:49 PM
We love you mike!!!!!!!!

kylejack
10-23-2007, 01:50 PM
We need to call in Truckin' Mike to bring a truck full of water and a big hose to clear a path for the Ron Paul Riders.

bbachtung
10-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Good luck and keep us posted.

Syren123
10-23-2007, 11:35 PM
OMG I'm so glad you posted! I was wondering how you guys were doing! Unbelievable that the very first day of your trip was the start of the SD fire.

See...I told you guys you should have just headed east and skipped San Diego.

So sorry about Damon. He's a trooper.

BarryDonegan
10-24-2007, 12:59 AM
an interesting thing about this... is FEMA is stepping up the luxuries here.. i heard there were massage tables in the stadium for the people who have evacuated.

do we really need to pay for massages for these people? i mean, they're in trouble, sure, but 5 star ammenities?

ronpaulhawaii
10-24-2007, 02:13 AM
This pic is smoke from San Diego fires (from the east-TG). If I had a wide angle lens you would see that the smoke from Orange County and LA fires fills the horizon

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/mkauai/SDSmoke.jpg

...We need you and don't want you to be hurt.

Awww..., Your thoughts are much appreciated. Rest assured that I am not reckless by nature. I am just a simple road warrior and a small part of this large thing we are all a part of. Indeed this is not even about RP, it is about the liberty that is our's and our children's birthright. And that is worth any hardship or sacrifice.

Hey.. Stay safe. Please drive to elcentro directly and do not bike or stop on the way. Sorry about Damon.. hope you wont feel alone on the way and there will be plenty of supporters to greet you...

Well... a couple of stops were in order

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/mkauai/OrangeSign.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/mkauai/Inserts1.jpg

My dearest Mike. You know I am praying for you. God has a plan. You are a vital part of that plan. I know you will keep the faith and God will look after you. "This is a test, this is only a test" Stay tuned to God's direction----He knows the way.
Much Aloha,
cindy

Tutu!, Everyone this is Cindy from the walk video. The Grandma of the HI MU's. Much aloha and mahalos; yes, He is my strength.

We love you mike!!!!!!!!

Thanks, and I expect to see you when I get further east...

We need to call in Truckin' Mike to bring a truck full of water and a big hose to clear a path for the Ron Paul Riders.

LOL- I think of him everytime a rig passes me by, just hoping to see that big ol sign and that little ol dog.

OMG I'm so glad you posted! I was wondering how you guys were doing! Unbelievable that the very first day of your trip was the start of the SD fire.

See...I told you guys you should have just headed east and skipped San Diego.

So sorry about Damon. He's a trooper.

Yes, for some reason SD was just not in the cards. The silver lining in Damon's departure is that he will be very careful and diligent as net support. He truly knows what this is now, (not a ride in the park).

an interesting thing about this... is FEMA is stepping up the luxuries here.. i heard there were massage tables in the stadium for the people who have evacuated.

do we really need to pay for massages for these people? i mean, they're in trouble, sure, but 5 star ammenities?

This message report disgusts me in its blatant and wasteful coddling for the sake of PR. I had a talk with my brother today, (the environmental engineer and Green Republican), To put it bluntly he said that anyone suprised by these fires are like someone moving to Alaska in the summer and being suprised when it snows. Living in a tinderbox is dangerous and perhaps foolhardy.

Anyway, I am in a flea-bitten motel in Calexico. I got here too late to return the Uhaul so will have to tomorrrow. Yuma is a sixty mile desert ride and since I cannot get an early start I will stay another night. No sense in taking off in the midday heat and having to push to avoid a night in the border desert. I need to repack anyway as my weight has increased. I'll take a ride around town tomorrow and unload a bunch of fliers.

Getting out of Orange County was not easy, Roads are closed everywhere (and closed behind me after I passed, someone said). Traffic was horrendous as the mountain pass I decided on was about the only route open. All in all a pretty ugly day. The stark beauty of the desert was just... stark. The high point was getting CD's and fliers to store owners in tiny towns. Just one CD in a place like that can spread like... (the dickens)

I'll update the blog tomorrow, then get back to the task at hand. Thanks again everyone for you thoughts and prayers.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/mkauai/Uhaul1.jpg

UtahApocalypse
10-24-2007, 05:34 AM
What a mess. As Mike pointed out the smoke and riding in it got me sick. I am in Sacramento now waiting on my last train. I feel like im still getting sicker, possibly a flu. I want to thank everyone who has wished me well and given support.

Michael! it's good to see you made it out of that fire storm alive. I heared some on the train yesterday speaking of how it was even worse. I am glad you decided to keep the u-haul and get out while you could.

Now that I am returning home it's very important that everyone kick up the support Mike is going to need. I will be helping with much of the Ron Paul Riders internet items now. Mike though will need support on the ground. He is a amazing guy, I never knew anyone who put everything on the line, including himself for a cause. I know on the road he will get the message into the hands of those along the way. In my week with him I saw him do it dozens upon dozens of times. If anyone lives along the route please offer up any assistance you can. Anyone that wants to ride along let us know.

Ok, battery almost gone... will be back in touch friday after I get home. Mike, your the man. I will always feel honored to know you and call you friend.

D

ronpaulhawaii
10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
I will always feel honored to know you and call you friend.

D

Likewise partner, glad to see you are almost home, here is our last pic together

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/mkauai/DMlastpic.jpg

If anyone is maxxed and can help, the fires cost me over $500 in direct costs. Lord Xar is administering the following acct. Please read how it is set up and donate accordingly.

http://ronpaulriderspublic.chipin.com/ron-paul-riders-aul-pac

Thank you all, for everything. Yuma Tomorrow! I'm look forward to a happier thread.

GO RON PAUL!!!

thehittgirl
10-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Big contrast to New Orleans, eh? Makes me sick!

slantedview
10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
If anyone is maxxed and can help, the fires cost me over $500 in direct costs. Lord Xar is administering the following acct. Please read how it is set up and donate accordingly.

http://ronpaulriderspublic.chipin.com/ron-paul-riders-aul-pac

I just kicked in some cash. Hopefully it helps. Best wishes.

Syren123
10-24-2007, 01:50 PM

That is absolutely false. There is no FEMA assistance there AT ALL at this time. There is state and local - mostly local - and volunteer aid going on and by all accounts, it's amazing.

kylejack
10-24-2007, 01:53 PM
That is absolutely false. There is no FEMA assistance there AT ALL at this time. There is state and local - mostly local - and volunteer aid going on and by all accounts, it's amazing.

They deployed there earlier today.

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=41448

empirenine
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM

I think that is hearsay and very unlikely. I live in downtown San Diego and I can assure you that Qualcomm is more of a nomad village than an upscale resort. They've got horses that can't be fed, people without blankets, and lots of other concerns. Its literally SNOWING ash under a red sky right now.

San Diego is in shambles.

Primbs
10-24-2007, 02:15 PM
This happens every other year in California, Fire followed by mudslides in the winter when it rains. This has been going on for fifty years or more. The government still can't get a handle on it.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

speciallyblend
10-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Great Job my friend.I know you will do well in passing on Ron Pauls Message:)

empirenine
10-24-2007, 02:21 PM
This happens every other year in California, Fire followed by mudslides in the winter when it rains. This has been going on for fifty years or more. The government still can't get a handle on it.

We do get fires every year, but not to this magnitude. We're reaching biblical proportions here, almost 25% of the land in SD county has been charred (650 square miles as of this morning). 1,000,000 residents evacuated.

On the bright side, we'll have pretty new shrubbery on our hills again in about 3 to 4 years. Its been desolate and desert-like for a long time.

Sorry, I digress...

Brinck Slattery
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
and Morels next spring! Delicious, delicious Morels!

BarryDonegan
10-24-2007, 03:06 PM
if so then the news is running a serious propoganda piece.

not to mention they are comparing this event to Katrina, when everyone in Socal knows that these things happen, and this one is pretty bad but not uncommon.

in 2003 i lived in canoga park and the fire in simi valley was extremely huge and by this point had more human fatalities.

i remember my mom was freaking about it, but i was going to the dentist on Sherman Way and Roscoe, and literally the block over was evacuated while i was getting a route canal and noone thought anything of it. i was new to cali at the time so it was weird to me. i went to work one block further away expecting to go home and no dice. everyone kept working. it was raining ash and there was a mushroom cloud literally in the valley.

but the news was acting like it was much more threatening to all of socal than it was.

granted, im not trying to diminish the suffering to people who are going to experience property damage over this, but comparing this to katrina is a really serious hyping.

thehittgirl
10-24-2007, 03:18 PM
but the news was acting like it was much more threatening to all of socal than it was.

granted, im not trying to diminish the suffering to people who are going to experience property damage over this, but comparing this to katrina is a really serious hyping.

My mom lives in the Inland Empire, well ok I know there's the Lake Arrowhead fire. When she goes outside, she can't breathe. I don't think that's happened to her before. It sounds pretty serious to me. But I'm not there so I dunno....

angelatc
10-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Hey ! I thought of a conspiracy theory!

All the fires were set by Bush, in order to get the national housing starts numbers back up!

Lois
10-24-2007, 04:16 PM
BLACKWATER did it :mad:

ronpaulhawaii
10-24-2007, 04:39 PM
I just kicked in some cash. Hopefully it helps. Best wishes.

Thank you very much. You'll like how I'm using that acct.

We do get fires every year, but not to this magnitude. We're reaching biblical proportions here, almost 25% of the land in SD county has been charred (650 square miles as of this morning). 1,000,000 residents evacuated.

On the bright side, we'll have pretty new shrubbery on our hills again in about 3 to 4 years. Its been desolate and desert-like for a long time.

Sorry, I digress...

Yes, it is quite the disaster, glad you are looking to the bright side.

and Morels next spring! Delicious, delicious Morels!

:cool:

if so then the news is running a serious propoganda piece.

This propaganda BS is increasing my determination to do everything humanly possible to see RP in Jan. 08 at his inaugaration.

Just did 5 miles around town in the midday sun. No Problem. The highlight was giving a SlimJim to a border patrol agent and leaving him reading it closely. Not an easy town to canvass. Not many republicans or support for secure borders. Glad I have the "end the wars" fliers from Portland that only reference republican in small print

freelance
10-24-2007, 04:56 PM
I heard on MSNBC last hour that FEMA sent C-130s, equipped to fight fires, which are now on standby! STANDBY! Right out of Duncan Hunter's mouth. They have done nothing for the people on the ground. When they start "helping," we'll hear about it, because it'll be a disaster.

sylvania
10-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I heard that a lot of the helicopters couldn't be flown because of the high winds - Santa Ana winds of 70 to 100 mph.

ronpaulhawaii
10-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Santa Anas are dying out - TG. I did hear a strange report that media was not allowed into an evac center. Rumours of military help and help from our NAU "partners" mixed messege crap. Just like the feds to exploit suffering

and BTW sylvania, your fliers are quite helpful, thanks

sylvania
10-24-2007, 07:49 PM
and BTW sylvania, your fliers are quite helpful, thanks

No Problem. Thanks for sacrificing and doing all that you are doing. I love hearing about all the people you are meeting. Keep up the tales. Great Job!

RP4ME
10-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Where are you now and when will you leave for SD? If at all. Lemme know your plans...stay safe

ronpaulhawaii
10-25-2007, 12:40 AM
San Diego is out. I bypassed and am in Calexico, will be in Yuma tomorrow. Damon will be back tomorrow and will start helping. He truly understands the difficuty of this ride and will not let me down. If you and he could work together it would be great.

Without MU support it will be useless contacting media. I may re-route if I have no support. I have had no reponse from Yuma, and Phoenix has not checked in for weeks. I am getting a bit frustrated with MU's. I have second hand reports that Phoenix is standing by but with no direct contact, it is a big question mark... I have run-out of signs to post. Still have fliers, am running low on slimjims. At this point I say screw the media and get on the MU's. Ed from Phoenix told me he was going to give me a better route and his media "dept" was on it, but I have heard nothing for weeks. It might be easier to bypass Phoenix and just head to Tucson. As I have said, I am quite frustrated with the MUs. If they are too busy they could at least let me know. This routing was done by others because they wanted us to hit the big MU cities, but if I don't start getting some support I'll stop and handwrite my own friggin signs and take the quickest route I can find.

I don't mean to sound like this but some people have led me to believe they would be alot more helpful than they have been. My fault for counting on them. Some have come through and it is very much appreciated. Come hell or highwater I'll make it to DC, but will not go out of my way in the hopes that people will come through at the last minute. That would be foolhardy.

So basically, what I am saying is that I'd prefer no media contact until the MU's are solidly behind this and I start to get a rythym going. Damon says he is going to start hounding the MU's and getting answers one way or the other. That would be REALLY helpful. If anyone else wants to start mailbombing them, have at it. If we get no answers, I'll bypass and move on. I only need to make three signs for Yuma and Phoenix, If I bypass, I'll need to make more. If someone can get me an answer before tomorrow night it would be great

Thanks

speciallyblend
10-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Keep Up the GREAT WORK, Colorado is Wishing YOU THE BEST.

Suzu
10-25-2007, 01:10 AM
There is already a big Ron Paul presence in the bigger cities, why don't you focus on small towns? Maybe you can get flyers printed as you go, a hundred or so at a time?

Shatterhand
10-25-2007, 09:45 PM
How did you do today? Where are you? Still in the hot desert? Are you sleeping in a tent?

Hope you're well.

ronpaulhawaii
10-25-2007, 09:56 PM
How did you do today? Where are you? Still in the hot desert? Are you sleeping in a tent?

Hope you're well.

In Yuma, doing great, just updated the blog

http://ronpaulriders.com/blog/

Thanks for asking

m

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/mkauai/HPIM0484.jpg

UtahApocalypse
10-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Mike just posted todays update on our blog......

www.ronpaulriders.com/blog

Shatterhand
10-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Wow.

I just finished reading your blog. Thanks for keeping us informed. Amazing story with that nice woman. You really are spreading the Ron Paul message and goodwill/kindness at the same time.