PDA

View Full Version : Congressman Jeff Flake confirms he will be running for U.S Senate

qh4dotcom
02-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Your thoughts?

Statement from Congressman Flake announcing his candidacy for the U.S. Senate

It’s an honor it is to stand here on Arizona’s 99th birthday. I wish my great, great grandfather, who settled in Arizona territory 132 years ago, could be here today to see a thoroughly modern state teeming with more than six million people. What a wonderful place those who have gone before have left for us to enjoy.

Let me also admit that it is not so great to be leaving this press conference to get on a plane, leaving Cheryl behind on Valentines Day. I want to thank Cheryl for her willingness to be spontaneous. Flowers to follow.

Just four days ago, Senator Jon Kyl stood not far from here and announced that he would not seek reelection to a fourth term. As he stood with his wife, Caryll, at his side, I couldn’t help but marvel: Here stands a man, after more than 24 years of stellar service, scandal free, not a blemish on his record, announcing that he will voluntarily leave one of the most powerful positions in the Senate while at the top of his game. It just doesn’t happen that often in Washington.

All Arizonans have benefited from Jon Kyl’s selfless service. His colleagues, myself included, have profited from his example. He has been a mentor to many of us in the Arizona delegation for years now. I value his friendship.

Which brings us here today. It has been a high honor to represent Arizona’s sixth congressional district for the past ten years. I greatly appreciate the good people of the East Valley, and I look forward to representing them through the end of the current term.

I am announcing today that I am a candidate for the U.S. Senate in 2012. As soon as possible, as the congressional schedule allows, Cheryl and I will be joined by our children for an official statewide rollout of the campaign.

Over the coming months my campaign will address the issues important to Arizona: economic growth, border security, transportation and water policy, just to name a few.

Of immediate concern, to Arizona, of course, is the fiscal crisis we now face as a result of runaway federal government spending – a crisis that presents a clear and present danger to Arizona’s families and the country as a whole. The federal government has kicked the budget can down the road for so long that we have simply run out of road.

In fact, I’m heading to Washington directly from this press conference to confront this year’s $1.5 trillion deficit, and, of course, our $14 trillion debt.
Let me just say in closing – Last weekend Cheryl and I sent our youngest son, Dallin, on his very first Boy Scout campout, where he would lose his last baby tooth. It made us think, Arizona’s first century has been very good to us. What will Arizona’s second century, beginning next year, bring to him?

That’s what motivates me as I launch this campaign. Arizona must continue to be the state where the beauty of the sunset in the evening is only surpassed by the splendor of the sunrise the next morning.

I’m all in. I look forward to a spirited campaign.

Jeremy
02-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Although I don't agree with a lot of his votes, he is pretty good.

Sola_Fide
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
This is a net positive, I think...

Liberty_Mike
02-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I always heard Flake was supposed to be fairly "liberal" on social issues, but he voted for the Patriot Act extension last week. He seems really good on economic issues though. Anyone know his history of voting on social issues? Does he have anything in common with the libertarian minded crowd on such issues?

Kludge
02-14-2011, 11:09 AM
I asked a RP staffer about Flake once a couple years ago, and he's apparently considered to be libertarian-ish for the sake of theatrics. I'm not interested in him, but he might do some good.

MaxPower
02-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Your thoughts?
So?

sailingaway
02-14-2011, 11:11 AM
He's fairly good but not fantastic. He may or may not be better than alternatives in AZ. The question is, do we have anyone else there?

Fredom101
02-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Voted for the Patriot Act, voted for war, thumbs down to Flake!

angelatc
02-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I always heard Flake was supposed to be fairly "liberal" on social issues, but he voted for the Patriot Act extension last week. He seems really good on economic issues though. Anyone know his history of voting on social issues? Does he have anything in common with the libertarian minded crowd on such issues?

He probably has more in common the the Libertarians on immigration - he's an amnesty supporter.

trey4sports
02-14-2011, 11:29 AM
he's ok. I think that he'll be better than other alternatives

angelatc
02-14-2011, 11:29 AM
He's fairly good but not fantastic. He may or may not be better than alternatives in AZ. The question is, do we have anyone else there?

There's lots of chatter of getting Gabby Giffords well enough to run. I wouldn't want to run against her.

Who ran against McCain in the primary again?

Liberty_Mike
02-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Who ran against McCain in the primary again?

JD Hayworth

Brett85
02-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Voted for the Patriot Act, voted for war, thumbs down to Flake!

He's voted against war funding the last few times.

The Dark Knight
02-14-2011, 06:11 PM
I think he is better than most and would probably be like another Mike Lee. Could work with Rand

Agorism
02-14-2011, 06:13 PM
No to Jeff Flake.

Who was the Libertarian candidates running in that race against McCain. I forget.

Liberty_Mike
02-14-2011, 09:45 PM
No to Jeff Flake.

Who was the Libertarian candidates running in that race against McCain. I forget.

It was Dave Nolan, founder of the Libertarian Party. He passed away a couple months ago..

TCE
02-14-2011, 10:05 PM
No to Jeff Flake.

It doesn't matter who we have challenge him, Flake is unbeatable in Arizona. Combine that with the fact that we don't exactly have any notable candidates in Arizona, so Flake is all we have. Basically, Flake would be a step up over Kyl, but a very, very small step. As per the Mike Lee comparison, if Lee votes NO on the PATRIOT Act, I'll disagree, if he votes for it, then right on.

libertybrewcity
02-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Meh...It will be hard to find someone better and commit the necessary resources especially with a RP presidency to fund.