PDA

View Full Version : Visited Montecello on the way home

Matt Collins
02-14-2011, 10:05 AM
On the way home my friends and I decided to visit Montecello. All I can say is that it was amazing. Everyone here should do that at least once!

Gaius1981
02-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Agreed. I love their YouTube channel too; many interesting videos about Jefferson and events that have taken place at Monticello.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JeffersonMonticello

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBMcosPMjDw

Aratus
02-14-2011, 12:50 PM
on April 19th a few years back i took the guided tour...

fisharmor
02-14-2011, 01:20 PM
The one Founder's home I haven't been to in VA.
How is it for young kids?
I drive right by it several times a year, but figured I'd have to wait for a while.
I know Mt Vernon is good about having kid-friendly stuff like animals and people in character & stuff, but then I also know that Gunston Hall isn't so good.

Aratus
02-14-2011, 01:46 PM
its a hilltop. they have shuttles. you can walk the grounds.
if you have little kids, you need a stroller. the tours that go
thru the main house at rough 25 minute intervals in spring
and summer can be crowded. the totality of the experiance
would impress twelve year olds. winter might be less active.

Matt Collins
02-14-2011, 01:47 PM
The one Founder's home I haven't been to in VA.
How is it for young kids?
I drive right by it several times a year, but figured I'd have to wait for a while.
I know Mt Vernon is good about having kid-friendly stuff like animals and people in character & stuff, but then I also know that Gunston Hall isn't so good.It would probably be boring for kids. No characters or animals (that I saw).

bwlibertyman
02-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Me and a buddy visited monticello this summer. It rained. It was great! I loved it. We also visited Madison and Washington's homes. Monticello was the highlight of my summer.

faithfulfriend
02-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Been to Monticello three times, and it's awesome!

Also checked out Montpelier (Madison's) and it was beautiful also. When I went they were in the process of restoring it to the "original". Haven't had a chance to see Washington's yet.

Koz
02-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Monticello rules. Jefferson was a genius. Get there first thing in the morning and the house tour is uncrowded. We went through it with three other people and that was it. One of the highlights was the garden. They have garden tours, tours of the yard, etc.

TheDriver
02-14-2011, 04:44 PM
On the way home my friends and I decided to visit Montecello. All I can say is that it was amazing. Everyone here should do that at least once!

Agreed.

Mount Vernon is outstanding as well.