PDA

View Full Version : Dominoes falling across the Middle East

tangent4ronpaul
02-14-2011, 07:02 AM
On the Morning Joe they mentioned 5 countries in turmoil this morning. Anyone catch the complete list?

Iran will have protests. The Republican Guard has vowed to put down any attempt, referring to potential protesters as corpses. Expect a blood bath today.

Syria (I think) was another that said they would put down unrest militarily.

Yemen.

Jordan

One other.

One of the countries was Saturday only protests.

It's going to be a very interesting week.

In other news, Israel is expecting the Egyptian peace treaty to stand in spite of the transfer of power.

We should keep our eyes on these and get a watchlist thread for each.

-t

hazek
02-14-2011, 07:30 AM
You probably missed Algeria.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-14-2011, 07:43 AM
I think I lean towards Tom Engelhard that this is the final end of the Cold War happening in front of us. Just like the breakdown of the Warsaw Pact you are seeing the last deaththrows of the US Empire.

tangent4ronpaul
02-14-2011, 07:53 AM
We are not the only empire. England is high up there, but also France, Germany, Russia, China...

Other countries have colonies, or at least very heavy resource interests in other countries.

Granted, we are probably the worst of the lot.

-t

CableNewsJunkie
02-14-2011, 08:26 AM
At the risk of this post sounding somewhat irrelevant to this thread...

Guys, we have GOT to start mobilizing support for BIG alternatives to liquid fuels.

People WILL PANIC if they see no one is coalescing around a possible solution to our overdependence on oil - mideast oil especially.

I think THORIUM nuclear power combined with better battery technology is a BIG PART of a long-term solution.

We need to reach out to people like Kirk Sorensen and Seth Grae and others active in the thorium energy grassroots.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Experts in ALL FIELDS of the economy should be considering how to keep their fields of expertise relevant in an era of more expensive liquid fuels.

There's already a movement underway to encourage people to grow their own vegetable gardens - we need to push it to the next level.

Farm equipment makers need to be considering future models that rely less on liquid fuel to get the fields planted and harvested.

Mining equipment makers must do the same. Higher energy costs means it becomes more expensive to extract, refine, and transport resources.

Homeschool education using the internet and video conferencing technology should be considered as an alternative to busing/driving kids to and from school every day.

Transportation - I like the idea of high-speed rail. I also wish I had more choices of higher mpg turbo-diesel vehicles like they do in Europe and elsewhere in the world...why the heck don't we have those choices already?

Entrepreneurs should plan for their new businesses to be nimble, mobile, and easy to operate from multiple locations. People have been mentioning www.bettermeans.org as one possible way to do this. I plan on signing up there soon.

What kind of laws/barriers are in the way preventing these sorts of investments being made? Can we build support to show why some laws are hurting us in this regard?

How can it all be paid for? Kirk Sorensen has stated that we need a new "Manhattan Project" to fund it...so maybe we could engage the progressives and build political support for Social Security reform and use that money to do it (one possible answer).

It is a herculean effort - but we can do this.

There are so many answers - we just need to step up and let people know that they need more freedom and liberty to pursue those answers.

Just sort of rambling and brainstorming here - I apologize if it doesn't seem to make any sense.

tangent4ronpaul
02-14-2011, 08:42 AM
We already have a new "Manhattan Project" for this. It's called ARPA-E.

http://arpa-e.energy.gov/

As to liquid fuels, there is very serious progress being made with algae fuels, as some species of algae have very high oil contents. Also, things like Sandia's sunlight2fuel that uses focused sunlight to turn pollution captured from the air to produce liquid fuels, solvents and other petroleum products.

We now return you to your regularly schedules protests, riots and massacres.

-t

HOLLYWOOD
02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
You probably missed Algeria.
Yeah, the Algerian government cracked down on protesters... out numbering them too.

pcosmar
02-14-2011, 10:19 AM
While I would like to see alternative fuels (I have long been an advocate of Hydrogen) This is not entirely about oil. It is more about Control.Both control of oil resources, but also control of people.

And the US is losing control.

ExPatPaki
02-14-2011, 10:23 AM
On the Morning Joe they mentioned 5 countries in turmoil this morning. Anyone catch the complete list?

Iran will have protests. The Republican Guard has vowed to put down any attempt, referring to potential protesters as corpses. Expect a blood bath today.

Syria (I think) was another that said they would put down unrest militarily.

Yemen.

Jordan

One other.

One of the countries was Saturday only protests.

It's going to be a very interesting week.

In other news, Israel is expecting the Egyptian peace treaty to stand in spite of the transfer of power.

We should keep our eyes on these and get a watchlist thread for each.

-t

Bahrain also.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/02/2011214925802473.html

Bern
02-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Algeria just shut down the internets. Shit's getting real over there.

CableNewsJunkie
02-14-2011, 10:49 AM
While I would like to see alternative fuels (I have long been an advocate of Hydrogen) This is not entirely about oil. It is more about Control.Both control of oil resources, but also control of people.

And the US is losing control.

That's why we need to be the most vocal group explaining to people how we can prosper even without control of oil.

Provide people with a long-term vision and encourage them to add their own ideas.

Expose how some laws are preventing innovation from occurring in all sectors of the economy.

pcosmar
02-14-2011, 10:56 AM
That's why we need to be the most vocal group explaining to people how we can prosper even without control of oil.

Provide people with a long-term vision and encourage them to add their own ideas.

Expose how some laws are preventing innovation from occurring in all sectors of the economy.

I would like to see the dependence on oil reduced, but another possible aspect of this is the Cartel control of pricing. It may open the market to competition for the first time since the 70s. That could bring lower prices and growth in industry.

I am seeing it as a net positive all around. Freedom is a good thing.

RonPaulFanInGA
02-14-2011, 11:02 AM
http://www.salon.com/ent/comics/this_modern_world/2011/02/08/this_modern_world/story.jpg

CableNewsJunkie
02-14-2011, 11:06 AM
http://www.salon.com/ent/comics/this_modern_world/2011/02/08/this_modern_world/story.jpg

epic

ExPatPaki
02-14-2011, 11:20 AM

This is how Faux News titled this report today: "White House works to fan flames of unrest in Iran, as Prince Reza Pahlavi predicts 'Tehran moment'" Do I need to say more or everything is explained in a simple FoxNews title?

A revolution that White House (who supports Ben Ali, Mubarak, 3 Abdullahs) fans the flames of unrest and the son of former dictator Shah predicts 'Tehran moment' is to come.

Erik of Faux news asked Reza Pahlavi, "it might been very difficult times for you in the last few weeks, first your father was forced out of power some 30 years ago the same time, you lost Mubarak in Egypt who was very close to your family, and an uprising is not successful in Tehran" lAnd he was said...'yes at the end of the day it is the era of people's voice that must be heard'...And changed the topic by attacking current Iranian government.

puppetmaster
02-14-2011, 12:21 PM
this is all good....They were using Egypt to get the ball rolling and destabilize Iran......don't worry the CIA has it all covered.

tangent4ronpaul
02-14-2011, 12:24 PM
The shit is starting to hit the fan.

They just opened up with tear gas in Iran and the rock fight just began in Algeria. Protests in other countries, but more peaceful.

Good morning Middle East!

-t

CableNewsJunkie
02-14-2011, 12:24 PM
I would like to see the dependence on oil reduced, but another possible aspect of this is the Cartel control of pricing. It may open the market to competition for the first time since the 70s. That could bring lower prices and growth in industry.

I am seeing it as a net positive all around. Freedom is a good thing.

^^Always a possibility.

tangent4ronpaul
02-14-2011, 02:17 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/International/anti-government-protests-iran-proceed-government-crackdown/story?id=12912288

Reporting from the streets was limited because authorities have forbidden journalists from covering the protests. Demonstrators from cities around Iran called into BBC Persia with reports of plainclothes police attacking people and scaring off crowds. One caller described a daughter begging police to leave her elderly mother alone.

Witnesses describe hundreds of people gathering in the towns of Isfahan, Shiraz and Mashad as well. Although the crowds were not as large as what viewers have seen in Egypt or the demonstrations after the 2009 elections, the turn out was significant for Iranians who have been warned by the commander of the police corps that if they showed up they would be "corpses."

tangent4ronpaul
02-14-2011, 02:44 PM
There are fatalities in Iran

ExPatPaki
02-14-2011, 04:20 PM
8.35pm GMT: The US State Department has launched a Twitter account in Farsi, just in time for today's protests in Iran:

http://twitter.com/USAdarFarsi#

puppetmaster
02-14-2011, 04:32 PM
8.35pm GMT: The US State Department has launched a Twitter account in Farsi, just in time for today's protests in Iran:

http://twitter.com/USAdarFarsi#

like I said....this was the plan.... Egypt was easy. Israel needed them to get the ball rolling

libertybrewcity
02-14-2011, 04:49 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/2010-2011_Arab_world_protests.svg/800px-2010-2011_Arab_world_protests.svg.png
Dark Red= Government overthrown
Light Red= Changes in Government
Orange= Major protests
Yellow= Minor protests
Green= Without incidents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2010-2011_Arab_world_protests.svg