PDA

View Full Version : What if Ron Paul doesn't run? Then what?

realtonygoodwin
02-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Sarah Palin
Haley Barbour
Mitt Romney
Tim Pawlenty
Rick Santorum
Newt Gingrich
Mike Huckabee
Mitch Daniels
Michele Bachmann
John Thune
Rick Perry
Jon Huntsman
John Bolton
Gary Johnson
Jim DeMint
Herman Cain
Chris Christie
Rudy Giulani
Bobby Jindal

Please rate each potential candidate. Give a couple things you like about them, and a couple things you dislike. Let’s assume Ron Paul doesn’t run or drops out early. Further, assume you must vote for someone on this list. Who would your next 3 or 4 choices be?

BuddyRey
02-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Besides Gary Johnson and maybe...MAYBE Chris Cristie, I couldn't bring myself to vote for anybody on that list.

realtonygoodwin
02-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Why not? Could you give reasons for each one?

Bman
02-14-2011, 01:14 AM
I'll give you two reasons for each one.

1. Their policies will be more of the same. Nothing in how business is done at the federal level will change.

2. They all believe that social issues can be solved with government force.

Chester Copperpot
02-14-2011, 01:19 AM
fuck em all

Yieu
02-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Which ones would make their first priority ending the wars as quickly as is feasible (starting on day 1 and not delaying the complete end of them), and spend the rest of his time in office trying to repeal legislation that curtails our liberty, promoting legislation that strengthens liberty, and making substantial cuts in spending, taxation, and the size and scope of the federal government?

I have doubts that anyone other than Ron Paul would have such an agenda.

DamianTV
02-14-2011, 01:39 AM
If he doesnt run, then we absolutely must throw a Party!

A Real TEA Party! Like the Boston Tea Party!

JoshLowry
02-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Concentrate on winning some house and senate seats instead...

Sola_Fide
02-14-2011, 01:45 AM
The only Republicans I would vote for are Ron Paul and Rand Paul.

Possibly, possibly, possibly, I could vote for DeMint or Daniels, depending on what they emphasize during the campaign. If they go heavy on the neocon stuff, I will bail.

But most likely I'll be checking out who the Constitution Party is putting up in 2012. If Ron Paul doesn't run, I bet HE will be looking at the CP again this year too:)

Kludge
02-14-2011, 01:46 AM
I'd probably vote for John Bolton simply because he's wonderfully ridiculous and would plunge us into so many diplomatic SNAFUs it'd obliterate any remaining respect other nations hold for our government while his willingness to go the whole nine yards on political propaganda would come back to bite him in the ass and discredit the USG domestically.

You betcha Palin's a close second.

Oh -- how 'bout Joe Biden if Obama dies? He'd make a GREAT president! :D

BuddyRey
02-14-2011, 01:53 AM
Why not? Could you give reasons for each one?

If I went through each candidate and my reasons for finding them unsavory, I might be up all night. Suffice it to say, I don't think any of them understand what some libertarians call the "Non-Aggression Principle." Most of them support the imprisonment of people who haven't harmed anyone.

AZKing
02-14-2011, 01:54 AM
I'd vote for John Bolton because his name is so similar to Michael Bolton -- and who DOESN'T like Michael Bolton?

No, but really, there is no doubt in my mind that RP will be running.

JackieDan
02-14-2011, 01:59 AM
Well I think we then could concentrate on Peter Schiff who might run for the Senate. i'm pretty sure he will though.

ForLibertyFight
02-14-2011, 02:00 AM
I will not support any of those candidates except for maybe Gary Johnson.

Ron Paul will run and we will change America.

dbill27
02-14-2011, 02:04 AM
I would cast a vote for mitch daniels, chris christie, gary johnson or.......Rand PAUL is Ron doest run

Imperial
02-14-2011, 02:26 AM
I would easily vote for Gary Johnson and Mitch Daniels. I would likely vote for Chris Christie, Jon Huntsman, or Jim DeMint.

BTW, this seems mandatory.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=video&cd=1&ved=0CDcQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFNU fDYGUueE&rct=j&q=sarah%20palin%20morbidly&ei=HOdYTb7CO4zAgQeK6KHIDA&usg=AFQjCNH5eBnM59-BZdLNU5cV-CAuoIrqkg&sig2=Xs2wnFJ7mVAAPDrOXD7DpA&cad=rja

misconstrued
02-14-2011, 04:00 AM
My 2 cents...

Sarah Palin - No way
Haley Barbour - "one of Washington's all-time mega-lobbyists."
Mitt Romney - No way
Tim Pawlenty - Pro TARP and worked on McCain's 2008 campaign.
Rick Santorum - There's absolutely nothing about this guy that I like.
Newt Gingrich - No way
Mike Huckabee - No way
Mitch Daniels - Member of the National Security Council and the Homeland Security Council under Bush.
Michele Bachmann Tea Party supporter of the Patriot Act...
John Thune - Supports the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Rick Perry - Bilderberger
Jon Huntsman - Who?
John Bolton - Scumbag
Gary Johnson - I need to know more about him...
Jim DeMint - Can't stand this guy.
Herman Cain - I need to know more about him...
Chris Christie - Another lobbyist.
Rudy Giulani - Do I even need to explain?
Bobby Jindal - Patriot Act supporter.

Please rate each potential candidate. Give a couple things you like about them, and a couple things you dislike. Let’s assume Ron Paul doesn’t run or drops out early. Further, assume you must vote for someone on this list. Who would your next 3 or 4 choices be?

Gaius1981
02-14-2011, 04:05 AM
After Ron Paul and Gary Johnson, my distant third choice would be Herman Cain. Though he has shifted many of his positions to a libertarian position only recently, he seems like a pretty decent guy. He favors auditing the Fed, and returning to the Gold Standard. He recently appeared on the Peter Schiff Show, and seemed to be in agreement with Schiff on pretty much all issues. He's a businessman and radio host, who's never held public office. I'm not sure about his foreign policy positions, though.

realtonygoodwin
02-14-2011, 04:13 AM
Actually, I had heard that Cain does NOT favor Auditing the Fed.

misconstrued - thank you for at least trying! Even if most of your concerns were ad hominem attacks, at least you went through candidate by candidate. :)

JoshLowry
02-14-2011, 04:13 AM
After Ron Paul and Gary Johnson, my distant third choice would be Herman Cain. Though he has shifted many of his positions to a libertarian position only recently, he seems like a pretty decent guy. He favors auditing the Fed, and returning to the Gold Standard. He recently appeared on the Peter Schiff Show, and seemed to be in agreement with Schiff on pretty much all issues. He's a businessman and radio host, who's never held public office. I'm not sure about his foreign policy positions, though.

Cain is a shill for the fed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caeNXivEGEg

Pass on him.

Sola_Fide
02-14-2011, 04:18 AM

Don't be fooled by Herman Cain!

Wren
02-14-2011, 04:39 AM
fuck em all

These ^

But if Ron doesn't run, I'll probably just end up being apolitical unless Rand decides to run in 2016. Ultimately doesn't matter though because RP IS running. LibertyPAC, his CPAC request, and his new book make it obvious

misconstrued
02-14-2011, 09:29 AM
misconstrued - thank you for at least trying! Even if most of your concerns were ad hominem attacks, at least you went through candidate by candidate. :)

Well, I said it's my 2 cents. No time to give an in depth analysis ;)

This.

sailingaway
02-14-2011, 09:32 AM
I'd concentrate on other races, but if Ron REALLY didn't run, I think after Rand gets some groundwork laid, he might, if only to get his name out and spread the message, this time. I think they are gearing up for SOMETHING.

rutgerscamdenYAL
02-14-2011, 09:37 AM
any info on when/if he will officially announce his campaign?

civusamericanus
02-14-2011, 09:38 AM
I'll give you two reasons for each one.

1. Their policies will be more of the same. Nothing in how business is done at the federal level will change.

2. They all believe that social issues can be solved with government force.

If Ron Paul doesn't run, I'm back to supporting local politicians, who are liberty minded. Nothing will improve until 2016, with any of the other jokers in the white house.

sailingaway
02-14-2011, 09:57 AM
any info on when/if he will officially announce his campaign?

As late as he possibly can. I don't think he's really enthusiastic about running.

UtahApocalypse
02-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Walk like an Egyptian :)

AZKing
02-14-2011, 10:00 AM
As late as he possibly can. I don't think he's really enthusiastic about running.

I was listening to him on Fox after his CPAC win and he seemed pretty excited.

Chieppa1
02-14-2011, 10:11 AM
We'll since some kids booed war criminals at CPAC, Ron has denounced his supporters and is quitting politics....oh wait.

brandon
02-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Sarah Palin - 0
Haley Barbour- 0
Mitt Romney- 0
Tim Pawlenty- 0
Rick Santorum- 0
Newt Gingrich- 0
Mike Huckabee- 0
Mitch Daniels- 0
Michele Bachmann- 0
John Thune- 0
Rick Perry- 0
Jon Huntsman- 0
John Bolton- 0
Gary Johnson - 6
Jim DeMint - 0
Herman Cain - 0
Chris Christie - 0
Rudy Giulani - -9000
Bobby Jindal - 0

Chieppa1
02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Sarah Palin - 0
Haley Barbour- 0
Mitt Romney- 0
Tim Pawlenty- 0
Rick Santorum- 0
Newt Gingrich- 0
Mike Huckabee- 0
Mitch Daniels- 0
Michele Bachmann- 0
John Thune- 0
Rick Perry- 0
Jon Huntsman- 0
John Bolton- 0
Gary Johnson - 6
Jim DeMint - 0
Herman Cain - 0
Chris Christie - 0
Rudy Giulani - -9000
Bobby Jindal - 0

Sucks Rudi is such an idiot. As a Yankee fan I always liked the guy.

trey4sports
02-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Sarah Palin

no intention of ending the wars, and i dont think she is very smart. C-

Haley Barbour

dont know much about Haley, however, he seems to be part of the old boys club. Nothing he says resonates with me and he hasnt said he wants to end the wars or promote civil liberties. D-

Mitt Romney

fake, and certainly not ideologically aligned with myself. F

Tim Pawlenty

warmonger. Terrible candidate, and HATED his speech. F

Rick Santorum

Nothing appealing. F

Newt Gingrich

Liberal, nuff said. F

Mike Huckabee

promotes fairtax as an alternative to income which i like, but he loses all appeal with his fake image, and terrible record as governor. Not to mention he is an authoritarian douchebag. D-

Mitch Daniels

heard he had a good speech, i didnt catch it though. Need to know more although im sure I'll dislike his social positions. C-

Michele Bachmann

seems to be ok fiscally, not good socially. D+

John Thune

another guy beating the wardrums. F

Rick Perry

fake. F

Jon Huntsman

dunno anything about his position. Ive heard hes a lot like Romney (not just religiously) D- until i know more

John Bolton

warmonger. F

Gary Johnson

really like gary, id be happy to vote for him. A-

Jim DeMint

good fiscally, bad socially. C-

Herman Cain

worked for the fed, D-

Chris Christie

supports gun control and cap and trade. F

Rudy Giulani

is a response warranted? F

Bobby Jindal

supports patriot act and doesnt "get it" F

Elwar
02-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Then this:

http://www.estatevaults.com/bol/Debt%20Chart.jpg

realtonygoodwin
02-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Sarah Palin

no intention of ending the wars, and i dont think she is very smart. C-

Haley Barbour

dont know much about Haley, however, he seems to be part of the old boys club. Nothing he says resonates with me and he hasnt said he wants to end the wars or promote civil liberties. D-

Mitt Romney

fake, and certainly not ideologically aligned with myself. F

Tim Pawlenty

warmonger. Terrible candidate, and HATED his speech. F

Rick Santorum

Nothing appealing. F

Newt Gingrich

Liberal, nuff said. F

Mike Huckabee

promotes fairtax as an alternative to income which i like, but he loses all appeal with his fake image, and terrible record as governor. Not to mention he is an authoritarian douchebag. D-

Mitch Daniels

heard he had a good speech, i didnt catch it though. Need to know more although im sure I'll dislike his social positions. C-

Michele Bachmann

seems to be ok fiscally, not good socially. D+

John Thune

another guy beating the wardrums. F

Rick Perry

fake. F

Jon Huntsman

dunno anything about his position. Ive heard hes a lot like Romney (not just religiously) D- until i know more

John Bolton

warmonger. F

Gary Johnson

really like gary, id be happy to vote for him. A-

Jim DeMint

good fiscally, bad socially. C-

Herman Cain

worked for the fed, D-

Chris Christie

supports gun control and cap and trade. F

Rudy Giulani

is a response warranted? F

Bobby Jindal

supports patriot act and doesnt "get it" F

THANK YOU!! THIS is what I was hoping for. Way too many ad hominem attacks, but that is pretty much what I expect here by now :)

nathanmn
02-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Sarah Palin - Don't know enough about her honestly. I would have to see her complete platform and hear some serious policy from her before I could support her. However, she would have to sound brilliant in debates and interviews because she sure didn't sound like presidential material to me before. Probably wouldn't vote for her.
Grade: D

Haley Barbour- Don't know anything about him, but probably would never vote for him. grade: unknown

Mitt Romney- War mongering, authoritarian douche bag. Would never vote for him. F

Tim Pawlenty- Decent for a "mainstream" conservative. He was our Governor here so I'm pretty familiar with his record. Now that he is on the national scene he sounds too hawkish. I would not actively support him. but I'd still vote for him, he'd be way better than Obama/Bush. Grade: C-

Rick Santorum- Don't know much about him, but probably wouldn't vote for him. grade: probably F

Newt Gingrich- Probably wouldn't vote for him. He is too fiscally liberal, supports ethanol,etc. Grade: D

Mike Huckabee- Authoritarian religious fundamentalist. Has made sickening remarks on gays, believes the federal government should ban public smoking nationwide. Would never vote for him. Grade: F

Mitch Daniels- Don't know much about him, but would like to hear more. Open to support or voting for him. Grade: unknown

Michele Bachmann- I don't think she would make a very good president and her voting record doesn't match her rhetoric at all. If she was as fiscally conservative as her talk would make you think I would like her a lot more. Would consider voting for her depending on how she ran a campaign and did in debates, but wouldn't actively support her. Grade: C-

John Thune- Sitting US senator? They're pretty much all garbage. Grade: F

Rick Perry- I've heard nothing but bad things about him from people in Texas. Grade: F

Jon Huntsman- Know nothing.

John Bolton- Kind of like his screw the rest of the world attitude, but I can't live with his blow up the rest of the world attitude. grade: F

Gary Johnson- The man! I think his pitch of getting the best services at the best prices, running government like a business, and his policies are what America need and that it could resonate with voters. I seem to agree with him on pretty much everything. A moderate, mainstream libertarian, at the time when we need someone who can articulately and realistically pitch this brand. I will support him 2012. Grade: A+

Jim DeMint- The second best senator behind Rand Paul(which isn't saying much, because the senate is full of the criminally insane). I would most likely vote for him, but wouldn't support him. grade: C-

Herman Cain- Don't know anything

Chris Christie- Don't know much, but would like to hear more. Going off above post, if he supports gun control I probably wouldn't vote for him.

Rudy Giulani- Fuck him. I don't think any ron paul forumer needs to explain why they hate Rudy Giuliani. Grade= F

Bobby Jindal- Typical neo-con social conservative garbage. Grade: F

So I would actively support Gary Johnson, would grudgingly vote for Demint, Pawlenty, and possibly Palin and Bachmann. Daniels I might vote for if I learned more, probably wouldn't actively support them.

R3volutionJedi
02-15-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm 16 now. I used to be a Huckabee supporter, before I supported Ron Paul. Looking back on 2008 now, I would have voted for Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party. If Ron doesn't run, I will support who he supports unless they don't defend the right to life.

matt0611
02-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Most of those choices suck hard.

If Ron Paul does not run then I want Gary Johnson to win the republican primary and I could bring myself to vote for him for president.
He is no "Ron Paul" though.

If Gary Johnson doesn't win then I'd want Chris Christie to win the primary because I think he could beat Obama.
Yeah, I know Christie is no liberty candidate but Id much rather have Christie in the white house than Obama.
I rally don't think Chris Christie is going to run though anyway.

If that all fails than I'll probably vote for the Libertarian or Constitution candidate.
We should also concentrate on getting more decent liberty senators and representatives elected.

Regroup and pray that we make it to 2016 and run Rand :)

TomtheTinker
02-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I might be getting ahead of myself with this statement..but to me it looks like he is already running.

scrosnoe
02-15-2011, 02:45 PM
concentrate on winning some house and senate seats instead...

yes!

realtonygoodwin
03-09-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm 16 now. I used to be a Huckabee supporter, before I supported Ron Paul. Looking back on 2008 now, I would have voted for Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party. If Ron doesn't run, I will support who he supports unless they don't defend the right to life.

Will you be able to vote in your state's primary?

AdamT
03-09-2011, 04:29 AM
I would easily vote for Gary Johnson and Mitch Daniels. I would likely vote for Chris Christie, Jon Huntsman, or Jim DeMint.

BTW, this seems mandatory.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=video&cd=1&ved=0CDcQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFNU fDYGUueE&rct=j&q=sarah%20palin%20morbidly&ei=HOdYTb7CO4zAgQeK6KHIDA&usg=AFQjCNH5eBnM59-BZdLNU5cV-CAuoIrqkg&sig2=Xs2wnFJ7mVAAPDrOXD7DpA&cad=rja

LOL love the Lindsey Graham dig at the end.

aspiringconstitutionalist
03-09-2011, 05:33 AM
I'd definitely be able to vote for Gary Johnson!!! He's not as ideologically pure of a libertarian as Paul in some areas (alliances and treaties). But Gary is more pure of a libertarian than Paul in other places (border fence and doma).

Mitch Daniels intrigued me at first because he talked a lot about Hayek, but on closer examination he's probably one of the worst candidates of the bunch. Surprisingly antilibertarian for a supposed "Hayekian".

Tim Pawlenty's newfound Tea Party spirit is as transparent as Saran wrap. This guy said, just a few years ago: "The era of small government is over. We need a more activist government." I don't trust him any farther than I could throw him. He's a George W Bush waiting to happen.

Michele Bachmann's heart is in the right place and she's getting more libertarian and constitutionalist by the day. I could possibly pull the lever for her.

Sarah Palin is a neocon, but she means well and has sone good tempered policies (like her criticism of the Fed, her hinting at opposition to totally fiat currency, her lack of enthusiasm for enforcing pot laws, and her opposition to parts of the Patriot Act). She could possibly convince me to vote for her.

Herman Cain's support for a gold standard intrigues me, but I'd need to get a better feel for him.

There's a small possibility I could vote for DeMint, if he focused more on economic issues instead of neocon war policy and culture warriorism.

Everyone else doesn't really stand a chance of getting my vote, for reasons we all know.

realtonygoodwin
03-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Oooh! Do you have a source for that Pawlenty quote?

aspiringconstitutionalist
03-09-2011, 06:48 AM
"The era of small government is over . . . government has to be more proactive, more aggressive."
-- Tim Pawlenty, 2006

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120373223052387643.html

realtonygoodwin
03-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks!

nayjevin
03-13-2011, 07:30 AM
To those who say '_______ isn't the best but would be better than _______'

I disagree.

Gage
03-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Sarah Palin - Neocon.
Haley Barbour - Neocon.
Mitt Romney - Neocon.
Tim Pawlenty - Neocon.
Rick Santorum - Neocon.
Newt Gingrich - Neocon.
Mike Huckabee - Neocon.
Mitch Daniels - Neocon.
Michele Bachmann - Neocon.
John Thune - Neocon.
Rick Perry - Neocon.
Jon Huntsman - Neocon.
John Bolton - Neocon.
Gary Johnson - No chance of winning whatsoever, and extremely uncharismatic.
Jim DeMint - Neocon.
Herman Cain - Neocon.
Chris Christie - Not running, regardless of my opinion.
Rudy Giulani - Neocon.
Bobby Jindal - Neocon.

realtonygoodwin
03-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Wow. Do you mind defining "neocon" as you have used it here?

Sola_Fide
03-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Sarah Palin - Neocon.
Haley Barbour - Neocon.
Mitt Romney - Neocon.
Tim Pawlenty - Neocon.
Rick Santorum - Neocon.
Newt Gingrich - Neocon.
Mike Huckabee - Neocon.
Mitch Daniels - Neocon.
Michele Bachmann - Neocon.
John Thune - Neocon.
Rick Perry - Neocon.
Jon Huntsman - Neocon.
John Bolton - Neocon.
Gary Johnson - No chance of winning whatsoever, and extremely uncharismatic.
Jim DeMint - Neocon.
Herman Cain - Neocon.
Chris Christie - Not running, regardless of my opinion.
Rudy Giulani - Neocon.
Bobby Jindal - Neocon.

Good list Gage. I mostly agree, but I bet Christie is a neocon too. But youre right, I don't see him running.

johnrocks
03-13-2011, 09:41 AM
I think he will run but if he doesn't, the fight continues, out of that list, the only one I KNOW I'd support is Gary Johnson, other than that I may have to vote third Party yet again and keep on trying to convince everyone I meet to look at Ron Paul,Rand Paul and others like them, take the time to actually read and listen to them, not rely on the BS artists on FOX ,MSNBC and other places to do their thinking for them.

JK/SEA
03-13-2011, 10:55 AM
I'll vote for Obama before i'd vote for any on that list. Seriously, why not?...status quo is status quo.

Yeah, i'd concentrate on local candidates, buy more silver, keep my guns clean, expand my food storage....etc...

LibertyEagle
03-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Some of you guys are throwing the term "neocon" around a bit too freely, don't you think?

Just because someone doesn't agree with us on foreign policy, does not a neocon make.

For example, Jim DeMint is not a neocon. Do you honestly believe he's a Trotsky-lover?

Austin
03-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Some of you guys are throwing the term "neocon" around a bit too freely, don't you think?

Just because someone doesn't agree with us on foreign policy, does not a neocon make.

For example, Jim DeMint is not a neocon. Do you honestly believe he's a Trotsky-lover?

+rep

JK/SEA
03-13-2011, 11:37 AM
NEOCON = STATUS QUO

There, does that help?

Anti Federalist

That ^^^

Also state and local races as well, NH and Glen Bradley FTW as examples.

R3volutionJedi

nice. btw, love your thumbnail. hahahahaha

TaxSanity
04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Hermain Cain is posturing and absurd. But you did leave out one guy who wants to run, and could come of out nowhere -- Bob McDonnell, gov of Virginia.

I'd like to see him run -- if he has any albatrosses around his neck, I don't know them. Plus it's clear he REALLY wants to run.

TaxSanity
04-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Do you honestly believe anyone is a "Trotsky-lover" -- I doubt 10 people in this forum even know what Trotsky was about --one way or another.

Joseph
04-06-2011, 09:15 AM
If Ron Paul does not run then Rand almost certainly will in his place. If neither run then the only real choice is Gary Johnson. The reason is that most of the others on that list are awful when it comes to foreign policy. Any of the others that sound good in theory seem too easily influenced and not firm enough to stick to sound policies. The only other candidate worth any kind of consideration would be Chris Christie but he has already confirmed that he will not run. Gary Johnson has the best voting record of anyone on that list by miles. We need someone who has a good track record and from this list Gary Johnson is the best by far.

speciallyblend
04-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Obama/Bush 2012 Bring Our Troops Home

Elwar
04-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Then this:

http://www.icis.com/blogs/editorscommentary/Revolution%20fist.jpg

Tim724
04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
As a libertarian of course I like Gary Johnson's views, but I concur with others who find him uncharismatic. I think the reality is that he would get totally marginalized if he runs (unforutnately) and is therefore not a good choice to carry our message.

If Ron doesn't run, but Rand does I will personally give Rand just as much support as I would have given his Dad. That said, it seems like there is a faction of the ideological libertarian netroots that won't support Rand. For example, Lewrockwell.com seems determined to not showing him any love. That makes me a little nervous though it is very hard to say how significant this group of pro-Ron anti-Rand folks really is. Making the calculation more complex, I think Rand Paul could get a few votes that Ron Paul would not be able to get from more moderate people who aren't schooled in libertarian philosophy.

My personal feeling on Rand is that he is about has good as his Dad ideologically, but had to temper and polish his message a bit to get his foot in the door. If he came out swinging talking just like his Dad during his Senate campaign, he very well may have lost and be forgotten by now. I feel that since Ron Paul has been at this longer, he has earned the respect to be able to do what he does in terms of fighting the establishment. As in many areas of life, senior guys who have been "at it" a long time can get away things that new-comers can not. I do think Rand is a very good speaker and would distinguish himself well in the debates.

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm getting the feeling Rand is getting more love from the Kochs than his Dad and than Lew. I have my own reservations about that, but for now I'm assuming Rand is keeping them at arms length where it matters most and is working with them where it makes sense (it isn't as if there weren't overlap). That would explain Lew, though.

emr1028
04-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Sarah Palin-- I'm an atheist, but I'd pray to god that she doesn't become president.

Haley Barbour--Pretty Much Obama's policies but also extremely socially conservative, which sucks

Mitt Romney--Republican Obama

Newt Gingrich-Unprincipled warmongerer

Mike Huckabee-- He's always seemed like he had a good side to him, but he's still a neocon.

Michele Bachmann--Dear god no

Gary Johnson-Fuck yea

Jim DeMint-- He seems to be pretty fiscally conservative, but he's stated that he wasn't running. If Ron, Rand, and Gary Johnson all declined to run and DeMint ran, I'd have to support him.

Herman Cain-- Islamaphobic idiot.

Rudy Giulani-- O please god no.

Wicklowwolf
04-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I do respect Sarah Palin. I definitely don't agree with everything she says or does, but I respect her for her uncompromising stand on abortion and 2nd Amendment rights. But I am worried about some of her Bush-style neo-con advisers.
But if not Ron Paul, then I would love to see judge Andrew Napolitano and Alan Keys giving it a go.

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
I do respect Sarah Palin. I definitely don't agree with everything she says or does, but I respect her for her uncompromising stand on abortion and 2nd Amendment rights. But I am worried about some of her Bush-style neo-con advisers.
But if not Ron Paul, then I would love to see judge Andrew Napolitano and Alan Keys giving it a go.

I understand there has been some sort of parting of the ways with Kristol but don't know much about it. I find it encouraging in so far as it goes. I think she is independent and loves America with more than a purely self interested gloss, which puts her above many in my book, but still not near the top.

Captain Shays
04-06-2011, 12:33 PM

I can give you once thing to think about relative to Herman Cain. He worked for the Federal Reserve. Take it from there and make up your own mind.

Meanwhile, say what you will about DeMint but I watched him fight valiantly to audit the Fed and I gained a huge respect for that man. I may disagree with him about a few issues and they may even be big issues to me like foreign policy,or the war on drugs but his position on the Fed is right and to me, THAT is our BIGGEST issue. ALL other issues can be traced back to the Fed and would fix themselves if the Fed didn't exist. Foreign policy and the war on drugs included.

Captain Shays
04-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm getting the feeling Rand is getting more love from the Kochs than his Dad and than Lew. I have my own reservations about that, but for now I'm assuming Rand is keeping them at arms length where it matters most and is working with them where it makes sense (it isn't as if there weren't overlap). That would explain Lew, though.

So what would be wrong if Rand was being supported by the Koch Bros? They are both considered libertarians. For all we know they are a modern version of Hank Rearden and Ellis Wyatt. You KNOW how liberal and the media would treat them if they were around.

acptulsa
04-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Sarah Palin-- I'm an atheist, but I'd pray to god that she doesn't become president.

I'm more or less with you down the line. But it doesn't really matter, as there will be (God willing, the creeks don't rise, and the CIA sharpshooters miss) a Paul in the race.

Nathan Hale
04-06-2011, 06:03 PM
If Ron doesn't run then Gary Johnson is the man. Unlike the other people on the list he is an accredited member of this movement, he's viable, and he's awesome.

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 06:14 PM
So what would be wrong if Rand was being supported by the Koch Bros? They are both considered libertarians. For all we know they are a modern version of Hank Rearden and Ellis Wyatt. You KNOW how liberal and the media would treat them if they were around.

There was an awful lot of strain between them and Ron. And I understand they are much more corporatist rather than into guaranteeing individual liberty and honest money (more pro fed, with a rep on the board, per Rockwell, I believe.).

FreeTraveler
04-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Agorism FTW!

or a Napolitano/Stossel ticket would do a better job than any politician on that list.