02-13-2011, 11:31 PM
http://www.theironskeptic.com/venn%20diagram.jpg

Found this on Twitter, thoughts?

pcosmar
02-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Lol

ibaghdadi
02-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Correction: Muslim brotherhood never governed a country (efficiently or otherwise). On the other hand we know what a country governed by Neocons tends to be and do and change towards.

Gaius1981
02-13-2011, 11:50 PM
It's very simplistic and ignorant, if you ask me. There's no legitimate comparison between the two, besides that they are both influenced by religion. Even so, the religious people in the Republican Party are mild and tolerant by comparison. Last I checked, they've never called for the execution of people who act immorally, something which would be common practice with the Muslim Brotherhood in power.

I hope nobody are naive enough to believe that the Muslim Brotherhood genuinely has renounced violence.

pcosmar
02-13-2011, 11:54 PM
It's very simplistic and ignorant, if you ask me. There's no legitimate comparison between the two, besides that they are both influenced by religion. Even so, the religious people in the Republican Party are mild and tolerant by comparison. Last I checked, they've never called for the execution of people who act immorally, something which would be common practice with the Muslim Brotherhood in power.

They have called for the execution of a journalist that embarrassed them though. Not to mention the condoning of torture.The invasion and occupation of countries, etc,etc

Jack Bauer
02-13-2011, 11:55 PM
it's very simplistic and ignorant, if you ask me. There's no legitimate comparison between the two, besides that they are both influenced by religion. Even so, the religious people in the republican party are mild and tolerant by comparison. Last i checked, they've never called for the execution of people who act immorally, something which would be common practice with the muslim brotherhood in power.

I hope nobody are naive enough to believe that the muslim brotherhood genuinely has renounced violence.

This.

I am an atheist/agnostic and I think the Christian religion (and its "zealots"), especially the Anglican religion is benign. The penalty for apostasy/homosexuality/adultery in the Christian religion is not death, there is no penalty for these "sins" in the Christian religion, at least in this world. It is comparatively benign and we should respect it as such.

__27__
02-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Oh come on some of you, don't take everything do damn literally. I LOL'd. :)

ibaghdadi
02-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Eh? Where are you getting this from?

__27__
02-14-2011, 02:05 AM

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/03/30/business/30beck01-600.jpg

ibaghdadi
02-14-2011, 02:18 AM
It amazes me how Amerika can go from total ignorance about an issue to total, unshakeable conviction about whether it's good or bad in the span of a radio show.

Gaius1981
02-14-2011, 02:22 AM

From a variety of news reports on the fates of apostates, homosexuals and adulterers in Arab countries, throughout the years. Are you saying that such executions don't take place? Judging by your username you'd probably know better than I, but it seems unlikely that so many reports on honor killings etc. are false. Such things don't take place in western civilization (well they do here in Europe, but only when committed by Muslim immigrants). All the most radical Islamic organizations, such as Hamas, are offshoots from the Muslim Brotherhood; they're practically the same.

I'm all in favor of non-interventionism, as it's the U.S. foreign policy which is the number one source of the Islamic radicalisation. However, that doesn't mean I'll look at the radical Islamic organizations with rosy colored glasses; the people who are in charge (thanks to the U.S.) are savages.

P.S. I don't watch Beck. I don't think I could even if I wanted to, from here.

Athena
02-14-2011, 02:56 AM
From a variety of news reports on the fates of apostates, homosexuals and adulterers in Arab countries, throughout the years. Are you saying that such executions don't take place? Judging by your username you'd probably know better than I, but it seems unlikely that so many reports on honor killings etc. are false. Such things don't take place in western civilization (well they do here in Europe, but only when committed by Muslim immigrants). All the most radical Islamic organizations, such as Hamas, are offshoots from the Muslim Brotherhood; they're practically the same.

I'm all in favor of non-interventionism, as it's the U.S. foreign policy which is the number one source of the Islamic radicalisation. However, that doesn't mean I'll look at the radical Islamic organizations with rosy colored glasses; the people who are in charge (thanks to the U.S.) are savages.

P.S. I don't watch Beck. I don't think I could even if I wanted to, from here.

If you have evidence that most of the MB in Egypt is radical, I'd like to see it. From what I understand, the MB is everywhere and about as monolithic as "the right wing" or "the left wing". It varies DRASTICALLY by location.

ibaghdadi
02-14-2011, 03:01 AM
It's unfair to blame Islam or Islamists for terrible transgressions such as what you've mentioned. Many seem to blame Islam for the status the Islamic world is in right now. The truth is we're ruled by tyrannies who are above the law and pretty much make up their own for their own purposes.

That's why we've had two revolutions in the span of two months and are pushing for a few more. If we believed them to be "Islamic" in any sense we wouldn't have overthrown them.

You have to put this in historical context; the West had such brutal practices at some point, but then had a renaissance and reassessed the theological roots of these. With the massive changes avalanching in the Middle East now, I'm hoping that we're on the verge of our own renaissance, and I'm hoping that as a libertarian I can have even a small role to play in it.

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I know a great deal about Islamic movements, and to say "they're practically the same" is a terrible overgeneralization. I posted in Foreign Policy to assess how much people know about the Muslim Brotherhood because I'm preparing to post a vlog series about modern Islamism. I hope that will help clarify some misconceptions.

ibaghdadi
02-14-2011, 03:04 AM
If you have evidence that most of the MB in Egypt is radical, I'd like to see it. From what I understand, the MB is everywhere and about as monolithic as "the right wing" or "the left wing". It varies DRASTICALLY by location.

I'd like to add that the most interesting and most promising "variation" is along generational lines rather than location. Egypt's revolution wasn't just against tyranny, but against old, outmoded thinking and a generation that represented it. The Muslim Brotherhood is having such a young vs. old revolution as we speak, and it's not to be seen in dusty back alleys in Alexandria, but rather on Facebook and Twitter.

Gaius1981
02-14-2011, 03:10 AM
It's unfair to blame Islam or Islamists for terrible transgressions such as what you've mentioned. Many seem to blame Islam for the status the Islamic world is in right now. The truth is we're ruled by tyrannies who are above the law and pretty much make up their own for their own purposes.

That's why we've had two revolutions in the span of two months and are pushing for a few more. If we believed them to be "Islamic" in any sense we wouldn't have overthrown them.

You have to put this in historical context; the West had such brutal practices at some point, but then had a renaissance and reassessed the theological roots of these. With the massive changes avalanching in the Middle East now, I'm hoping that we're on the verge of our own renaissance, and I'm hoping that as a libertarian I can have even a small role to play in it.

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I know a great deal about Islamic movements, and to say "they're practically the same" is a terrible overgeneralization. I posted in Foreign Policy to assess how much people know about the Muslim Brotherhood because I'm preparing to post a vlog series about modern Islamism. I hope that will help clarify some misconceptions.

That sounds reasonable. I'll be certain to do a more careful evaluation of the Muslim Brotherhood before I comment on it again. Thanks for the insight.

unklejman
02-14-2011, 11:14 AM
It amazes me how Amerika can go from total ignorance about an issue to total, unshakeable conviction about whether it's good or bad in the span of a radio show.

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh before Superbowl weekend and some guy called in saying something like, he loves football and loves to root for a team. Then he goes on to say, I just don't know about this whole Egypt thing, I was wondering if you could tell me what team I should root for... Of course Rush tells him Mubarak.

dannno
02-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I was listening to Rush Limbaugh before Superbowl weekend and some guy called in saying something like, he loves football and loves to root for a team. Then he goes on to say, I just don't know about this whole Egypt thing, I was wondering if you could tell me what team I should root for... Of course Rush tells him Mubarak.

rofl..

unklejman
02-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I wish I could laugh at that. It's way too disturbing, and actually shocked me a little. Hearing a metaphor that I use to describe American politics actually being displayed literately right in front of me.

Athena
02-15-2011, 04:17 AM
I wish I could laugh at that. It's way too disturbing, and actually shocked me a little. Hearing a metaphor that I use to describe American politics actually being displayed literately right in front of me.

Going back to my new leitmotif, a lot of Americans just suck and are hateful, bigoted, spiteful bastards. They'll totally vote away their own civil liberties so long as a lot of brown people lose more rights.

This reality sucks, but the evidence is everywhere.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-15-2011, 05:13 AM
I never want to hear about the Muslim Brotherhood ever again. It's reminding me of the ridiculous assertions of Wolfowitz and company that Saddam is going to attack us, and had a hand in 9/11 and has WMD and is going to nuke us and that Iraq must be dealt with so we have to launch a massive war, have thousands of Americans die and wounded for life and kill millions of Iraqi's and have complete statist control over the entire region to force them to adapt what Neo-Cons approve of. This Christian-Zionism they want to force on the entire world through a fascistic state. I mean do people fall this easily over this propaganda again? I hope to jebus we do not. The Muslim Brotherhood is no threat whatsoever to America or Americans. Maybe to Halliburton and Wolfowitz/Kristol interests yes, but not to Americans.

This is why Beck is a big ass phony. Beck has never shunned his Neo-Con roots. He's a trojan horse. Please do not think he is on our side.

dblee
02-15-2011, 05:36 AM
brother muslimhood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXee42PvCf4