PDA

View Full Version : CPAC: Ann Coulter says 'There Should Be More Jailed Journalists'

Agorism
02-13-2011, 01:01 PM
CPAC: Ann Coulter says 'There Should Be More Jailed Journalists'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/13/ann-coulter-more-jailed-journalists_n_822533.html?ir=Politics

Ann Coulter said she thinks there should be more journalists put in jail during her appearance at the annual CPAC conference on Saturday.

Coulter's comments came during a response to a question from a woman in the audience. The woman initially asked Coulter why she and other Republicans had championed free elections in Iraq but were warning about them in Egypt.

"You don't go around disturbing countries where you have a loyal ally," Coulter responded.

"What is more important though to American values--being friends with israel still or knowing there are jailed dissidents and journalists [in Egypt]?" the woman asked.

"What do you mean knowing that there are jailed journalists?" Coulter said. "I think there should be more jailed journalists." This prompted a huge round of applause from the crowd.

squarepusher
02-13-2011, 01:05 PM
what ...

specsaregood
02-13-2011, 01:07 PM
She just says whatever gets the best headlines.

And jailing journalists that support evil regimes doesn't sound too bad to me. :)

YumYum
02-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Where were the shoe throwers?

Brooklyn Red Leg
02-13-2011, 03:36 PM

Arrogant twat.

Guitarzan
02-13-2011, 03:43 PM
She was joking.

I thought she had some real zingers in her speech, pretty funny stuff.

Question: "Ann, who, of the Democrats, do you like most?"

Ann: "That's like asking me what my favorite disease is. Ok...I'll take cancer."

Ricky201
02-13-2011, 03:49 PM
She was joking.

Ann: "That's like asking me what my favorite disease is. Ok...I'll take cancer."

I think the crowds reaction is what's scarier. A lot of conservatives perceive most journalists as liberals that spread lies and slander...so they wouldn't seeing them go to jail for committing such unethical practices.

cowpunk12
02-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Yes and no. It was an evil thing to say, but it was funny, so I think it was laughter mixed with applause that made it such a reaction.

Vessol
02-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Ann's speech actually wasn't that bad, there were some parts that were pretty funny, but that part had me kind of like "What?" But that's Ann.

Yieu
02-13-2011, 04:52 PM
When she said that, I either said or shouted "There goes freedom of expression". That part bothered me about as much as all the warmongering that was so hard to sit through.

osan
02-13-2011, 04:53 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/13/ann-coulter-more-jailed-journalists_n_822533.html?ir=Politics

Coulter is a war mongering loon. She doesn't believe in liberty a whit - "loyal" allies are more important that justice. OK.

Apparently, plenty of the CPAC attendees feel the same way.

Yeah, we're going to have liberty in America. Uh huh. Sure we are.

Jesus.

osan
02-13-2011, 04:55 PM
She was joking.

What leads you to make this assertion? Everything I ever recall hearing from her pie hole seems pretty consistent with what was quoted in the OP.

I might add that on such topics perhaps it is best to keep the humor zipped in her trousers right along with her penis.

Paul4Prez
02-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't agree with Ms. Coulter that jailing journalists is okay, but if she's looking for more journalists to jail, here's a candidate:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/13/AR2011021301463.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Chris Cillizza of the Washington Post says Ron Paul really lost CPAC, because he mentioned defunding Obama's wars, and the real winners were Romney (wow, second place), Mitch Daniels (wow, 4%), Michele Bachman (wow, 4%), and Chris Christie (THIRD place, but only 6%). Somehow Gary Johnson wasn't a winner though, after tying Christie and starting out even less well known.

BarryDonegan
02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
In order to "get" Ann Coulter, it is important to remember that she fancies herself a comedian first and foremost. Her jokes are designed to get under people's skin. She was saying she thinks there should be more jailed journalists like some people say "we should take all the lawyers and"... no one making that type of rhetorical statement is actually endorsing doing that. Ann Coulter is BIG on freedom of speech. In fact, Ann Coulter regularly tests its limits in different directions. She's even stated in some candid interviews that she does that intentionally. Think of the comments she made about John Edwards as an example.

Think of her as a no-wave or dadaist performance artist in the political realm. Her goal is to enrage and agitate everyone until they talk about her when she is no longer around. She's so good at it that it is happening right now.