PDA

View Full Version : Townhall - CPAC's experiment gone wild

crhoades
02-13-2011, 10:07 AM
http://townhall.com/columnists/kevinmccullough/2011/02/13/cpacs_experiment_gone_wild

Wow. Just wow. Wouldn't know where to begin. Looks like some people didn't get the memo that Geoerge w. Bush sent the GOP down in flames. Why people are so brainwashed into neocon mindsets is beyond me.

lester1/2jr
02-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I like NEOCONS talking about people hijacking the GOP!!

Cowlesy
02-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Wow, what a whiner!!!

Inkblots
02-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Here's the key quote from this column. I somewhat admire this guy's honesty, in that he explicitly admits he'd sooner support a liberal than a libertarian - at least liberals understand that people can't be allowed to be free!

Libertarians and Conservatives are as different as Libertarians and Liberals. The truth is libertarians are the worst form of political affiliation in the nation. Combining the desire of economic greed, with the amoral desire to promote any behavior regardless of its cost to our culture is a stark departure from the intent of the founding fathers.

Bern
02-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Conservatives and Liberals are red herrings. It's corporatists versus libertarians.

kah13176
02-13-2011, 11:42 AM
is a stark departure from the intent of the founding fathers.

Just ask why Jefferson didn't outright ban marijuana, prostitution, or gay marriage in the Constitution.

Anti Federalist
02-13-2011, 11:42 AM
It is the libertarian in attendance that proclaimed the war to prevent terrorists from regathering strength and coming after our homeland as "illegal." And it is the libertarian in attendance that eschewed, booed, cajoled, and screamed "war criminal" to Vice President Dick Cheney, a man who served his country with commitment and still this day attempts to help the world understand the threat of the radical Islamic element devising plans to eliminate us and our allies

Yeah, sitting still and politely eating shit during the Rummy/Cheney lovefest would have definitely won over this fascist to "our" side.

<<<does not have an emoticon to indicate the amount of "eyerolling" going on.

FrankRep
02-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Libertarians and Conservatives are as different as Libertarians and Liberals. The truth is libertarians are the worst form of political affiliation in the nation.

What did Reagan say?

If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals -- if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.

Ronald Reagan, 1975 - Reason Magazine (http://reason.com/archives/1975/07/01/inside-ronald-reagan)

pacelli
02-13-2011, 11:59 AM
The only useful thing I pulled out of the article was this:

perhaps more significance should be paid to the straw poll to be conducted by the conference that happens in the fall called the "Values Voters Conference."

Sounds like a challenge to me. We should start planning to win that one now. I really appreciate this guy's suggestion NOW as it gives us plenty of time to prepare.

low preference guy
02-13-2011, 01:13 PM
My favorite part:

In other words, this year's CPAC wasn't about advancing conservatism, but rather the radically disrespectful element of the libertine.