PDA

View Full Version : Why does the media adore Rand Paul but abhors Ron Paul?

dude58677
02-13-2011, 08:21 AM
They both have the exact same views.

ItsTime
02-13-2011, 08:24 AM
The media adores Rand? I must have missed the memo.

Bern
02-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Rand has earned some respect by winning a Statewide office. The GOP leadership has had to embrace him (for now) and he appears to be playing nice with them. That, IMO, is the sum of it.

Sola_Fide
02-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Somebody said it on this forum: Rand reasons with you with selective arguments while Ron beats you in the face with a 2x4 of truth.

Bruno
02-13-2011, 08:37 AM
It's hard to admit when you are wrong. Easier to just jump behind someone with basically the same ideals. There will be more of this as conservative candidates spout Ron Paul's talking points.

bwlibertyman
02-13-2011, 09:20 AM
People have talked about it before but I think it comes from the way Rand says things.

Ron says wars are wrong. Rand says we can't afford wars.
Ron says we shouldn't take care of people cradle to grave. Rand says we can't afford taking care of people cradle to gave.

I think it's really about how he comes across.

wormyguy
02-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Um, the media is generally much easier on Ron than Rand. I suppose the conservative media likes Rand more than Ron, but merely because they were forced to support him last year in order to look sufficiently cool and "Tea Party"-ish.

Chester Copperpot
02-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Somebody said it on this forum: Rand reasons with you with selective arguments while Ron beats you in the face with a 2x4 of truth.

hah.. thats funny.. and quite true.. and I have to agree with your entire post

sailingaway
02-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Rand rode in on the tea party and is the biggest tea party star (OF the tea party). He is the most legitimate one, and his libertarian views fascinate the left, and they just don't get him. But he managed to put himself more into the left right paradigm until he came out on the Patriot Act (which had VERY little coverage on the right, in case you didn't notice.) One side or the other is comfortable with that.

TuningIn
02-13-2011, 10:17 AM
That makes a lot of sense. At the same time, the selective arguments give the weasels a chance to think they can still slip their pet lies past us. The 2x4 of truth leaves no impression of wiggle room.

sailingaway
02-13-2011, 10:31 AM
It's hard to admit when you are wrong. Easier to just jump behind someone with basically the same ideals. There will be more of this as conservative candidates spout Ron Paul's talking points.

That is actually true, unfortunately on the right. It saves people's pride to say 'Rand is different' rather than "gee, I was a complete idiot for foaming over Ron Paul, and I had no clue what I was talking about."

LibertyMage
02-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Because he uses much more effective rhetoric.

TXcarlosTX
02-13-2011, 11:22 AM
rand plays the game. that easy. if we want to WIN more statewide races we need to use rand as our prime example of how to do it.

example : rons cpac speech he calls out neo-conservatives by name. rand on the other hand says that if you dont believe you cant cut military spending then your a big government conservative.

2young2vote
02-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah i think Rand is liked by the Fox News and Sean Hannity types while Ron is not really liked by anyone other than his supporters. Like someone else said, Rand is good at playing the game. He doesn't beat someone in the head with the 2x4 of truth (I love this saying) when talking. Rand gives politician styled answers when in interviews whereas Ron just flat out tells them what he believes. Obviously one of those works for the media and the other doesn't.

kah13176
02-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Yeah i think Rand is liked by the Fox News and Sean Hannity types while Ron is not really liked by anyone other than his supporters. Like someone else said, Rand is good at playing the game. He doesn't beat someone in the head with the 2x4 of truth (I love this saying) when talking. Rand gives politician styled answers when in interviews whereas Ron just flat out tells them what he believes. Obviously one of those works for the media and the other doesn't.

This is why I don't like Rand nearly as much as I like Ron to say the least. The problem with politics is that no one speaks their mind in fear of retribution at the voting booths. But Ron, he doesn't give a damn. No smoke and mirrors, no lies, no deceit.

Guitarzan
02-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Although I do agree that Ron is more abrasive than Rand, I believe it has much more to do with Ron being much more of a threat to the establishment than Rand right now. (This also makes be believe that they understand that Ron could actually win)

Wait until Rand decides to run for Pres down the road...you'll see the same media tactics used against him as they have been doing to Ron for the past 4 years.

This reasoning also suggests at why Gary Johnson gets more favorable press than Ron.

Bern
02-13-2011, 12:23 PM
This is why I don't like Rand nearly as much as I like Ron to say the least. The problem with politics is that no one speaks their mind in fear of retribution at the voting booths. But Ron, he doesn't give a damn. No smoke and mirrors, no lies, no deceit.

Rand isn't holding back because he fears retribution at the voting booth. He's just more savvy in marketing ideas in a way that will persuade people.

virgil47
02-13-2011, 12:40 PM

And no positive results in getting elected President.

Chieppa1
02-13-2011, 12:51 PM
And no positive results in getting elected President.

Do presidents ever change a country?

virgil47
02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Do presidents ever change a country?

Why yes they can and have. If you don't think so you need to reread the history of our country.

BlackTerrel
02-13-2011, 04:22 PM
I don't think it's that simplistic. The media is big - to say thy abhore Ron or adore Rand - neither is really true.

The easiest thing to do would be to ignore him. I don't even watch cable news and there was a time just coming to RPF when every other day I'd log in and Ron would be on some cable news show as an economic expert.

BamaFanNKy
02-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Seriously? You guys think Senator Paul is adored? Really?!? Perspective I guess.

dude58677
02-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Seriously? You guys think Senator Paul is adored? Really?!? Perspective I guess.

Yes, he was in the spotlight after he won the primaries and even right before the primaries. Sean Hannity had him as a guest on his show on more than one occasion and this never happened with Ron. Anything that Ron says becomes a top news story. During the State of the Union, Fox showed Rand's reaction to Obama's speech but they did not with Ron. Sean Hannity defended Rand over the civil rights controversy but he has never defended Ron Paul.

Ninja Homer
02-14-2011, 01:03 AM
They only abhor Ron when he runs for President. If Rand ever runs for POTUS, expect the same treatment.