PDA

View Full Version : Paul bashing / marginalization fest going on over at Politico

tangent4ronpaul
02-13-2011, 04:52 AM
http://www.politico.com/arena/archive/can-ron-paul-trump-critics-in-2012.html

This one I thought had some merit and deserved comment:

Douglas Koopman Political Science Professor, Calvin College :

Ron Paul's ideas of the 2008 GOP presidential campaign have already progressed sufficiently among the GOP primary electorate through the tea party movement, so that the personal candidacy of Ron Paul is less viable in 2012 than it was in 2008. Back then, he had a fairly sizable and intense and loyal following, drawn by his message, that showed up in several states.

He is clearly wrong. If anything, Paul's following has increased due to best selling books and much media exposure over the Fed and being right on monetary policy. While the tea party shares some of the issues, they are often not our supporters.

But his particular economic and foreign policy messages will be at least partially absorbed by other candidates

Yes, other candidates borrow our issues. The important question is if they are elected, will they actually follow through or is it just lip service?

with stronger resumes,

Military service, MD and decades of being re-elected and sticking to his principles is NOT a strong resume? :confused:

better sources of funds,

Possibly, but we have better sources of committed supporters.

better presentation

OUCH! - I'll concede that RP isn't the best public speaker.

and campaigning skills,

Two parts here. On the PCC side, Paul hired a staff for a educational campaign. His long time office manages, Penny Langford, quit in protest over his staff decisions. Lets hope he doesn't make the same mistakes this time. The staff were pretty bad.

The other part is the grassroots, and we largely took off the training wheels in 2008.

and more secure credentials on social issues still important to most GOP presidential primary voters. Ironically, Ron Paul's ideas have won just enough wider credibility to decisively weaken the argument for a Ron Paul candidacy.

Not sure what he's referring to as far as social issues. What I worry about is Gary Johnson. Having them both up there for debates and 2 campaigns would work as a force multiplier for our message. The CPAC poll, did show that he's splitting our support, so if both stay in through the primaries that would probably cause us to loose. Best case would be if they partnered in a prez/vp ticket or if whoever has less support drops out and endorses the other before the primaries.

-t

realtonygoodwin
02-13-2011, 05:00 AM
Better if one drops out and endorses the other, or both drop out and endorse a third liberty-oriented Constitutional conservative. Having each other on the same ticket won't gain either any votes. Focusing too narrowly on a small portion of the population won't win an election.

tangent4ronpaul
02-13-2011, 05:05 AM
Another that is OK:

Robert Zelnick Journalism Prof, Boston University, Research Fellow, Hoover :

If the world began tomorrow I would vote for Ron Paul as a s president of the United States, assuming too that I could keep him away from that Eve girl long enough to take the oath of office and deliver an inaugural. At least there would be a doctor handy if I ate an apple that didn’t agree with me.

Even in the early years of the 21st Century, Ron Paul appeals to many voters because of the clean consistency of his positions, his respect for human life, and what may be a growing frustration with painful wars many feel we did not have to fight, the massive expenditures necessary to prepare for outer limit threats, and U.S. conduct many would regard as provocative were we on the receiving rather than delivering end of the affront. To state the matter bluntly, Paul will win support from voters who prefer an I Claudius life-style to that of Hercules or Ulysses.

Still one can’t escape the notion that by the time the votes are counted in Iowa, or, at the latest, New Hampshire, Paul will be available to go into medical partnership with Bill Frist. Paul could use the money from Frist’s practice while Frist can use some brushing up on when a comatose patient is functionally dead.

There are some quite serious reasons to discount the likelihood of a serious Paul run: First, Sarah Palin, when she runs, is likely to take his votes and his money. Mike Huckabee, like Pal in a Fox news reporter, will do the same.

Second, people like and respect Paul, but a fistful or two of seasoned pros planning and directing a campaign, he shows no signs of putting together.

Finally, Dr. Paul is wrong on his populist domestic program, wrong about what it takes for the U.S. to survive in this dangerous age, and wrong about the inner convictions of his countrymen.

:confused:

In sum, Ron Paul is a nice guy. It would have been nice were Leo Durocher here too assess his prospects.