PDA

View Full Version : Influencing your Congressperson.

realtonygoodwin
02-13-2011, 03:31 AM
I know here on RPF we are dedicated to liberty-oriented candidates. However, what if we could convince the Reps and Senators in office already to vote the way we want?

Kenny Marchant of Texas, for example. He previously voted to permanently authorize the PATRIOT Act (according to ontheissues.org). However, when it came up for a vote last week, he voted against it!
Why? From what I hear, the phone calls and letters his office got from his constituents all encouraged him to vote no.
Call your representatives, talk to the staffers, and tell them how and (briefly, and cordially) why you want them to vote a particular way on a particular piece of legislation. Ask that your call be recorded in the IQ system.

realtonygoodwin
02-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Call your rep today and tomorrow! Get your friends and families to do the same! Apparently, they will be voting on the Patriot Act extension again!

Brett85
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Call your rep today and tomorrow! Get your friends and families to do the same! Apparently, they will be voting on the Patriot Act extension again!

Unfortunately my dad supports the Patriot Act. We've been arguing about that for the last week.

Koz
02-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately my dad supports the Patriot Act. We've been arguing about that for the last week.

Has your Dad read Nation of Sheep by The Judge? That was an eye opener.

Brett85
02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Has your Dad read Nation of Sheep by The Judge? That was an eye opener.

No, but he's been reading Bush's book. That certainly won't persuade him to oppose the Patriot Act. Lol.

Trigonx
02-13-2011, 09:39 PM
My congress critter, Paul Ryan(WI-1), is a brainwashed neo-con. It makes me sick that I am being represented by such a person. Sent him an email after he voted for the provisions the other day, he sent a reply. reminds me of Rudy, 9/11!!!! 9/11!!!!! 9/11!!!!

Dear Kevin:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on the House of Representatives' vote to extend two provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act and a provision of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know your thoughts on this important issue.

The horrific attacks against the United States almost a decade ago cost more than 3,000 innocent American lives. The ability of Al-Qaeda's terrorists to freely operate within our borders and inflict such significant damage highlighted the deficiencies in our counterterrorism capabilities and made it obvious that our law enforcement officers needed the tools to detect terrorist planning and operations. To help accomplish this goal, Congress passed the USA PATRIOT Act on October 25, 2001.

You raised some interesting and insightful points regarding the PATRIOT Act when you wrote me, and I appreciate you sharing them with me. The primary goal of the PATRIOT Act is to modernize the tools and methods available to law enforcement agencies to fight terrorism while protecting civil liberties. The law accomplishes this objective by improving the coordination between different government agencies and by giving law enforcement access to the same tools that it uses to investigate organized crime.

Unfortunately, unless Congress acts, two important provisions of the PATRIOT Act and one provision of the Intelligence Reform Act will expire at the end of February. I support extending these three provisions, which are:

Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act: Allows the FBI to apply for a court order to obtain tangible items for use in investigations against terrorists.

o Requires applications for orders for business records to include a statement of facts showing "reasonable grounds to believe" that the records sought are relevant to an authorized investigation to protect against terrorism or espionage.

o Includes a variety of oversight requirements to protect against Section 215 excesses.

Section 206 of the USA PATRIOT Act: Modernizes wiretapping and surveillance laws for use against foreign terrorist investigations, in order to keep up with new technology.

o Requires a description of a specific target in both the application and the court order, if the target's true identity is unknown.

o Requires specific facts in the application showing that the target's actions may thwart surveillance efforts.

I believe these two provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act are important for the pursuit of foreign terrorist organizations, including Al-Qaeda and others who intend to harm Americans.

Another related homeland security provision that is scheduled to expire is the so-called "lone wolf" provision of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act, which amends the definition of an "agent of a foreign power" under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) to include foreign citizens who are engaged in international terrorism. This provision is important because prior to its enactment, foreign terrorists who were not formally tied to a terrorist organization could escape the provisions of FISA that allow the U.S. government to pursue court orders to surveil them. The provision is directed at foreign nationals, not American citizens.

I understand the concerns that many have expressed with the PATRIOT Act and related provisions. However, it is important to note that the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005, which became law in March 2006, reformed the law to better ensure that civil liberties are not being infringed upon. In particular, concerns regarding roving wiretaps and business were all explicitly addressed.

I supported these reforms in 2005, and I strongly believe that safeguarding our Constitutionally-protected rights and civil liberties is essential to any homeland security measure. In the 112th Congress, I will continue to work diligently to balance security with individual liberty. On that note, I believe that the three homeland security provisions scheduled to expire are necessary for our law enforcement agencies to keep up with the terrorists they are pursuing.

Thank you again for contacting me regarding the PATRIOT Act and related provisions. If you wish to share additional information with me concerning this issue, please feel free to contact me by calling, emailing, writing, or faxing me. Please be advised that mail sent to my Washington office is subject to an additional two-week delay due to increased mail security.

If I can be of further assistance to you regarding this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am always happy to respond and be of service to you.

Sincerely,

Paul Ryan
Serving Wisconsin's 1st District

kah13176
02-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Isn't Paul Ryan a "Tea Party" congressman?

eduardo89
02-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Phoning, emailing, faxing, facebooking, tweeting...they all work wonders, especially if we're able to sustain pressure. Remember HR1207 last congress?

realtonygoodwin
02-13-2011, 11:24 PM
I convinced a few of my family by putting Rand's video about it on their Facebook pages, and then following up. He explains it eloquently. Most people aren't going to take the time to read a book that wants to change their mind, but they might spend a few minutes watching a YouTube video.

Elm
02-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Make them fear for their re-election. That is the only way to control most Congress critters.

Matt Collins
02-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I don't want to influence my Congressman, I want to intimidate and bully them! I want them to be scared of my causing them to lose their job (or at least be forced to spend a ton of money defending themselves)

Chieppa1
02-14-2011, 11:21 AM
I've got Scott Garrett. He just does enough good for me not to vote him out.

unklejman
02-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Jo Bonner. He won't listen to anybody, and he can't be voted out. Too many ignorant hard headed people and friends of him to even be touched. I've all but given up.