PDA

View Full Version : Idea! Need input

goRPaul
02-13-2011, 12:29 AM
I've been a Ron Paul supporter since I heard about him in 2005, and I campaigned for him heavily in 2007. I was first drawn in by his commitment to peace and non-intervention. I consider him an idol and a personal hero. I know that America and the rest of the world would be a safer place if he were president.

I'm 24 now, and I've been working and going to college off and on for six years. Just last semester I earned my A.A. degree in General studies. Yeah, it's been very tough on me and I've had to struggle my way the whole time. The military has always been an attractive option that I've very seriously considered. However, I'm so opposed to our Middle East occupation and our endless empire that I have never went through with it.

I think that part of the reason that our military struggles to meet recruiting goals is because of our foreign policy. Many people are ready and willing to defend their homeland; few are ready and willing to fight and die for empire. If we get a true leader in office who pledges to America and the world that we will bring all of our troops home from all foreign countries, I think the military wouldn't have any problem driving recruitment.

I have everything the military wants in a soldier- I'm young, strong, healthy, intelligent, love guns, and I love my country. So here's my idea- if Ron Paul or any other candidate for president who espouses a strict non-interventionist foreign policy wins office, I will pledge to join the service. I want this to be made known and see if anyone else feels the same way I do. I would be very interested in starting a website to see how people respond.

(It's like a money bomb, except for soldiers...)

Thanks for reading, give me some feedback!!

Austin
02-13-2011, 12:42 AM
I've had this conversation with my friends, and I ultimately came to the same conclusion. Although, I'd have some reservations unless we had a non-interventionist VP, too.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-13-2011, 12:48 AM
If Ron Paul becomes President he will be drastically downsizing the armed forces, so there would be very little openings to join. I'd say this is a no-go. Luckily a lot of the new people at my unit are Pro-Paulers (they are mostly 20 to 21 y/o). It's amazing and one is actually an anarcho-capitalist!

I know at least four to five guys that will definitely vote for Paul, so it appears my preaching *ahem* educating is having some effect :)

Nic
02-13-2011, 01:46 AM
Same here. Would not join because I couldn't look myself in the mirror knowing I had a part in our nations game of command and conquer across the globe. Would gladly sign up to protect our soil.

DamianTV
02-13-2011, 02:26 AM
I got out of the military just in time. I already smelled a heavy stench of bullshit all over the place right before too. Their biggest thing was to teach people to act like sociopaths.

BrendenR
02-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Same here. Would not join because I couldn't look myself in the mirror knowing I had a part in our nations game of command and conquer across the globe. Would gladly sign up to protect our soil.

But I think the whole point is that if he wins, you won't be going to war and there will be no game of command and conquer?

mediahasyou
02-13-2011, 02:46 AM
Soldiers murder. Don't join.

realtonygoodwin
02-13-2011, 03:19 AM
I am currently in the military, and while I admire the sentiment behind your idea, it won't work.

The fact is, military recruiting is not struggling. They have been meeting and exceeding their goals for a while now. I know my branch, for example, is actually doing force-shaping (where they reduce the number of active duty personnel in various ways).

nayjevin
02-13-2011, 04:02 AM
It is a good idea. Reminds me of Oathkeepers: http://oathkeepers.org

YumYum
02-13-2011, 04:33 AM
Are you willing to kill your fellow Americans? Because that is what the military may resort to if our economy collapses and there are riots and protests. We ain't Egypt and Americans are armed to the teeth. The Hopi Indians prophesied that the American government would one day slaughter millions of its own citizens. Every prophecy of the Hopis has come true. My grandpa was a decorated Marine and he said that a person is in the military for one thing, and one thing only: to kill your fellow man.

realtonygoodwin
02-13-2011, 04:49 AM
Do you have a legitimate source for all the Hopi prophesies that have come true?

YumYum
02-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Do you have a legitimate source for all the Hopi prophesies that have come true?

Daniel Pinchbeck lived with the Hopis for about a year. He makes the claim about Hopi prophecy and tells his story in the book "2012: The Return of Quetzacoatl".

http://www.2012thebook.com/

goRPaul
02-14-2011, 12:36 PM
To the comments about how "soldiers murder" and soldiers only kill fellow man, that doesn't describe the soldiers that I know who are my friends and family. They are decent individuals. But yes, I understand that a few soldiers are little more than trained killers, but I'm quite sure they represent a minority.

If you want to talk about generals and other high level powerful and secretive military officials, that's quite a different subject.

Anyways, I wonder if "President Paul", on top of eliminating Selective Service and bringing ALL soldiers home from overseas, would cap the size of our active duty military. If that's the case, then my idea would fizzle. I also wonder if the monetary incentives to join the military would change under the new policy.