PDA

View Full Version : Sunglass hut steals revolution logo

brandon
02-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Sorry if this is a repost. I was just in the mall and noticed this ad in the window of sunglass hut.
(click to view it bigger)

Epic
02-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Er... wait, isn't this awesome? It's like free publicity.

JackieDan
02-12-2011, 04:53 PM
it's RON PAUL'S LOGO!

justinc.1089
02-12-2011, 05:31 PM
No one trademarked that??? Really??? As much as it is used in our movement that should have been trademarked or copyrighted or whatever a loooong time ago.

(Not that I really believe in owning rights to something like that, but if sunglass hut tries to stop some big project of ours from using that logo then it would have paid off for us to have the rights to it).

FrankRep
02-12-2011, 05:32 PM
The Ron Paul movement stole it first. Remember?

brandon
02-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Nope I don't remember. From who?

AFPVet
02-12-2011, 05:36 PM
They are helping the cause... for now at least :)

RyanRSheets
02-12-2011, 05:37 PM
I'd say this is a good thing. It's going to have positive subliminal value.

erowe1
02-12-2011, 05:47 PM
I hope this ad campaign really takes off. We should email Sunglass Hut and thank them for supporting Ron Paul for President.

FrankRep
02-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Origin of the Ron Paul Revolution Logo (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?63119-Who-created-the-Revolution-logo)

Paul's followers are a veritable rainbow coalition drawn from across the political spectrum. The most striking image from his campaign - the slogan "Revolution" with the letters "EVOL" reversed to spell "love" backward - is, to use a 1960s metaphor, more Beatles than Barry Goldwater. (The creator of this slogan, Arizona libertarian Ernie Hancock, explains in an online article that the "love" refers to love of liberty, but concedes that the visual was chosen mainly for its emotional impact.)

Long story :)

Bottom line is that I saw the idea a couple of years ago on the Internet (reversed 3VOL) and used the "r3VOLution" idea in my 2006 campaign for Sec of State. My main sign was something else but I had a lot of stickers done with the 'r3VOLution' and the reaction was very positive so I knew what the reaction was going to be when associated with the message of Ron Paul that I've been very aware of for years.

I just did a presentation at the Hope for America Conference in Phoenix on the 8th of Dec. that explains a lot of what happened and why. I'm sure you'll find the information interesting. Here http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Feature-Article.htm?InfoNo=028081

Enjoy!

brandon
02-13-2011, 03:02 PM
bump

Bern
02-13-2011, 03:11 PM
You say you want a r3VOLution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's 3VOLution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about the SunGlass Hut
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right

nayjevin
02-13-2011, 04:02 PM
There have been a ton of what I would guess are intentional usages of Ron Paul Revolution branding. I saw something similar on an IHOP menu for one, the most memorable one for me though was when Newsweek ran a cover of Obama made up of tiny pictures in a mosaic fashion - which of course came but a few days after the full-page newspaper ad idea by a Ron Paul supporter for the Ames paper the day of the Iowa Straw Poll.

I imagine that the RP 2012 revolution, grassroots campaign, and ideas from volunteers reached alot of marketing 'top ten hot topics' publications and memos and such (I doubt they get it though :) ). It probably was, is, and should be used as an example of non-traditional / bottom-up viral marketing in all phases.

dannno
02-13-2011, 04:07 PM

No I think it takes away the meaning

dannno
02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
And will we get to keep using it or will they claim it if we use it again in '12?

dannno
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Bump

Fredom101
02-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Nothing is original. That's why IP is stupid. ;)

dannno
02-13-2011, 06:26 PM

It is stupid but still upheld by govt force

lynnf
02-13-2011, 06:37 PM

I think it was stolen from freedom's phoenix in AZ

lynn

Roxi
03-19-2011, 11:32 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/200815_10150162908092718_542997717_8141847_7922881 _n.jpg

sailingaway
03-19-2011, 11:54 PM

This.

And I think it had been used before but if not there is still such a thing as 'moral rights' and confusion of source....

But maybe they just really like Ron....:D

sailingaway
03-19-2011, 11:55 PM
There have been a ton of what I would guess are intentional usages of Ron Paul Revolution branding. I saw something similar on an IHOP menu for one, the most memorable one for me though was when Newsweek ran a cover of Obama made up of tiny pictures in a mosaic fashion - which of course came but a few days after the full-page newspaper ad idea by a Ron Paul supporter for the Ames paper the day of the Iowa Straw Poll.

I imagine that the RP 2012 revolution, grassroots campaign, and ideas from volunteers reached alot of marketing 'top ten hot topics' publications and memos and such (I doubt they get it though :) ). It probably was, is, and should be used as an example of non-traditional / bottom-up viral marketing in all phases.

Obama's whole web page that everyone acclaimed so much seemed stolen from Ron's....

sailingaway
03-19-2011, 11:56 PM
And will we get to keep using it or will they claim it if we use it again in '12?

They'll have a hard time claiming first use. they can claim abandonment, but the use was appropriate to the function of a campaign.

nobody's_hero
03-20-2011, 09:01 AM
I do not see why both Sunglass Hut and the Ron Paul movement could not both use it. But I think it's kind of lame to equate sunglasses with a revolution. I mean, wow, that's so hardcore, lol.

angelatc
03-20-2011, 09:18 AM

That tells me that you haven't seen "For Liberty," dude!

Angel
03-20-2011, 01:04 PM
I love that sign. As a graphic artist, I thought it was such a great logo to use for a grassroots movement. BUT.... unless someone can reach back further than 2003, I think the credit may go to DJ Scribe, a NYC DJ, (or a graphic artist who designed it for him) in '03:

http://www.djscribe.com/love.html

The very bottom image is a flyer using the backwards "LOVE" in red with the black "REVOLUTION" for an "(Impeach the) President's Day Smackdown". While it doesn't have the year on the flyer, I believe the last President's Day on Monday, Feb. 17th was in 2003.

However, it is possible that the stenciling and the stencilled font may had been originally used by whomever created the first RP Revolution logo (and consequently, DJ Scribe may have taken the stencilled version later for his use down the line years later).

Having designed logos for a living, it is quite difficult to lay claim to creating an "original" idea like this, since an average person has seen more imagery in his life than he can consciously recall, and I would not be surprised if this concept (the inverted "love" in revolution) hasn't been kicked around from artist to artist since the 60's.

Anyone with more info about the "revolution" sign? Or go back further than '03?

doodle
03-20-2011, 01:08 PM

only if the hut makes a huge donation to Paul movement.

AFPVet
03-20-2011, 01:45 PM
I have an idea... how about Ron Paul... wait for it... wears Sunglass Hut sunglasses :) Perhaps then they could float a generous donation his way ;)

Schmitto2121
03-20-2011, 04:00 PM
To hell with intellectual property.

leipo
03-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Anyone with more info about the "revolution" sign? Or go back further than '03?

I remember seeing an 90's album cover that used the same logo. I tried to find it but to no avail. I only found this comment referencing it:

It's plagiarized from a lite-rock album cover from the '90s.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1913021/posts

acptulsa
03-20-2011, 04:57 PM
The first 'R' is also backwards. In that, it varies from what we were using. That might not be enough to protect them in court, if whomever originated that tries to sue them over it.

I have mixed feelings about that. It could be a source of publicity, but as expensive as lawyers are it might not be so cost effective--especially if this isn't the message we want to send.

Anyone have ideas on how else we can capitalize and get some publicity out of it?

heavenlyboy34
03-20-2011, 05:18 PM
qft :cool: