PDA

View Full Version : CPAC 2011 thoughts and reactions

malkusm
02-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Short version: We've come a long way, gained a lot of numbers from last year, shaped the debate on economic policy, and there is a lot to be excited about - but generally, we still have a lot to learn about how to play politics. Regardless of the outcome of this year's straw poll (which I believe we will win), I cannot help but think that we could have attracted support in much greater numbers for the upcoming election cycle.

I don't have time to hit all of my points, but the main one is this:

Don't yell at a speaker or during a speech. This isn't a sports arena or a bar. If you don't agree with a speaker, stay quiet. If you can't restrain yourself, leave the room. I heard many, many people on Thursday after Rand's speech saying things like "This is ridiculous", "disrespectful", etc. These are people who might not have voted for Ron under any circumstance anyway, but the actions of a few cemented that outcome long before votes will be cast in 2012.

And really, what do you expect to gain by yelling "end the fed" during a speech by Trump or Pawlenty? A few chuckles among people who are already on your side? The other side of the coin is that people equate "those Ron Paul people" and "liberty" with "unrefined and disrespectful."

Just had to rant. It's not all negative! I've enjoyed meeting so many people - our RPF dinner had about 35 members yesterday. We own the young crowd because we're much cooler than your typical republican.

I'll try to post something more complete sometime tomorrow.

sailingaway
02-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Very good point.

And if we DON'T win, the reaction will be noted. PLEASE BE POLITE. Also if we do win, PLEASE don't let excitement overcome your manners requiring you clap politely for the other candidates. Be generous in winning. No need to turn people off. Good manners go a long way, particularly with the older folks.

college4life
02-12-2011, 11:17 AM
matt thanks for the post, very mature and reasoned

YumYum
02-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Wasn't the gang who were booing and cheering inebriated?

Austin
02-12-2011, 11:43 AM
+rep for this honest take on the behavior of some folks at CPAC.

muzzled dogg
02-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Spot on

Epic
02-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Didn't the neocons start the flame first by booing Ron Paul's victory at CPAC 2010?

MelissaCato
02-12-2011, 12:02 PM
How can we not be energized and vocal about this type stuff ? And what makes you think we arn't on our best behavior ? I think we all did really good. I'm so proud of us all. Lord knows, I wanted to flip the bird or YeeeeHawww. Multiple times. LMAO Just glad to be a part of it. Ron Paul 2012 !!!!