PDA

View Full Version : The Jewish Republicans' Paul Problem: Ron and Rand

AmericasLastHope
02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
The Jewish Republicans' Paul Problem: Ron and Rand

Submitted by James Besser on Fri, 02/11/2011 - 10:27

If I were running the Republican Jewish Coalition, I'd be getting a little nervous about the battle going on in their party.

On one hand, the GOP stands to benefit with Jewish voters in 2012, at least a bit, from the perception President Obama has been either too tough on Israel or too inept in Middle East policy.

We know a majority of Jews don't vote based mostly on the Israel issue, but under normal circumstances this administration's uneven performance on Middle East matters – and the relentless campaign to portray it as anti-Israel -- could be expected to add a few points to the GOP's traditional Jewish vote count.

Even a 5 percent rise in Jewish GOP voting in the presidential contest could prove important in key states.

But then there are the Pauls – Ron in the House, Rand in the Senate.

Rand Paul, the newly minted senator from Kentucky, wants to eliminate foreign aid entirely, including Israel's $3 billion – a slap at one of the most important pillars of pro-Israel activism in this country.

Jewish Republicans point out that Paul's proposal has garnered no support from the party leadership and that none of his GOP Senate colleagues seem eager to join him.

True enough.

But there is growing fear in some pro-Israel circles that Paul reflects an ascendant Tea Party faction that has little use for foreign policy – and not much for Israel, either.

Over in the House, Rand's dad, Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) gaveled his first hearing as chair of the House subcommittee that oversees the Federal Reserve this week. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, he called as a witness “Thomas DiLorenzo, a longtime activist in the neo-Confederate hate group, League of the South (LOS). The LOS advocates for a second Southern secession and a society dominated by 'Anglo-Celts' – that is, white people. LOS leaders have called slavery 'God-ordained' and described segregation as necessary to the racial 'integrity' of black and white alike.”

Yes, I know there are a very few Jewish voters think the world of Ron Paul's libertarianism. But dark conspiracy theories about the Federal Reserve and connections to “neo-secessionists” will be a godsend to Democrats who worry that the Israel issue – and the growing proportion of Orthodox among the Jewish electorate – are slowly drawing more Jewish voters to the GOP side of the aisle.

I'm not suggesting the two Pauls are emerging as major powers in the GOP; so far, Ron has been pretty much on the fringes despite his strong 2008 presidential nomination run, and Rand is too new at this game to make any judgments.

But at the very least, they have handed the Democrats a handy tool to use every time the Republicans bring up Jesse Jackson, Rep. Jim Moran and others as “proof” of a Democratic Party that is turning away from Israel.

And to the extent that the factions that have propelled the father and son team to new heights gains clout within the party, Jewish GOPers could find themselves with a major problem on their hands. And I think the RJC knows it; during last year's election they conspicuously rejected Rand Paul's Senate candidacy, not something the partisan group does lightly.

http://www.thejewishweek.com/blogs/political_insider/jewish_republicans_paul_problem_ron_and_rand

Bern
02-11-2011, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmIXQctMcDg

Israeli Economists Agree with Rand Paul: End Foreign Aid

The question of foreign aid is one that has pitted economists against politicians, special interest groups, and foreign policy demagogues for decades. No stranger to this controversy is Kentucky Senator Rand Paul, who like his father, Texas Representative Ron Paul (both Republicans), has proposed ending U.S.foreign aid to all countries, including Israel, a decision that has earned the scorn of numerous groups on both the Left and the Right.

However, one critical aspect of the debate that has been neglected from public discourse on the topic — and that Sen. Paul may be unaware of — is the opposition of numerous Jewish and Israeli economists and religious Zionist groups to Israeli foreign aid. Like Sen. Paul, these figures believe that foreign aid is an affront against Israeli liberty and sovereignty, as well as a drain on the development of numerous sectors of the Israeli economy, such as the weapons and biotechnology industries.

Individuals including Israeli economists Ran Dagoni, Yoel Bainerman, and Alvin Rabushka, the late Rabbi Meir Kahane, as well as groups including the Jewish Task Force, the Zionist Freedom Alliance, and the Manhigut Yehudit faction of the Likud Party have long advocated for an end to U.S. foreign aid to Israel. These groups insist that Israel must develop her own economic strength and move towards more free-market economic reforms as a means of boosting national prosperity and strength.

Even Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has stated that foreign aid may do more harm than good, and proposed efforts to wean Israel off of American military aid payments.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/6201-israeli-economists-agree-with-rand-paul-end-foreign-aid

sailingaway
02-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Of course they are going to say this, but everyone knows he was cutting $500 trillion and their thinking their $3 billion of that should be the only part sacrosanct is making them a laughing stock.

And SPLC is a hate group by its own definition. It EXISTS to generate hate against other groups by labeling them, and due to their biased political slant, this is very lucrative for them. I think it is starting to become time to shine more light on that organization.

YumYum
02-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Jewish Republicans....Jewish Democrats. Their political affiliations mean nothing because they are united in one purpose: keeping Israel on the tit.

mello
02-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Didn't the Southern Poverty Law Center also say that
Constitutionalists & Campaign 4 Liberty members were
right-wing extremists & possible domestic terrorists?

Brett85
02-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Republicans have been pandering to Jewish voters for a long time by trying to claim that they're more friendly to Israel than the Dems. A lot of good that's done them when Jewish voters still vote Democrat about 75% of the time. Maybe Jewish voters would appreciate some honesty instead.

Prepperoni
02-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Of course they are going to say this, but everyone knows he was cutting $500 trillion and their thinking their $3 billion of that should be the only part sacrosanct is making them a laughing stock.

And SPLC is a hate group by its own definition. It EXISTS to generate hate against other groups by labeling them, and due to their biased political slant, this is very lucrative for them. I think it is starting to become time to shine more light on that organization.

Just a little off the top?

LOL, $500 Trillion, things are worse then I thought!

Flash
02-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Remember how Ron once said cutting foreign aid would HELP Israel? What exactly did he mean by this?

doodle
02-11-2011, 12:18 PM
What percentage of total US population is jewish vote?

gls
02-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Remember how Ron once said cutting foreign aid would HELP Israel? What exactly did he mean by this?

He was probably referring to the fact that, combined, we give more money to Israel's regional adversaries (like Egypt, Jordan, & Lebanon) than we do to Israel itself, so cutting off all foreign aid would be a net win for them.

Brian4Liberty
02-11-2011, 12:32 PM

For one, they are better off than other countries who receive aid, and would remain well-off.

Secondly, welfare/aid of any type corrupts, distorts the economy for the worse, and creates dependency and obligation.

ExPatPaki
02-11-2011, 12:35 PM
For one, they are better off than other countries who receive aid, and would remain well-off.

Secondly, welfare/aid of any type corrupts, distorts the economy for the worse, and creates dependency and obligation.

Yes, this is why all aid to foreign countries should be cut off. Pakistanis here living in America can't seem to grasp that and actually want more aid so Pakistan can "fight" the Taliban.

Bern
02-11-2011, 12:44 PM
He was probably referring to the fact that, combined, we give more money to Israel's regional adversaries (like Egypt, Jordan, & Lebanon) than we do to Israel itself, so cutting off all foreign aid would be a net win for them.

Correct.

Pericles
02-11-2011, 03:03 PM

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/civil-rights/southern-poverty-law-center-in-montgomery-al-106

http://www.thesocialcontract.com/artman2/publish/tsc_20_3/tsc_20_3_gemma.shtml

http://georgiaheritagecouncil.org/site2/commentary/Southern_Poverty_Richer_than_Tonga-By_Ken_Silverstein%28Harpers_Magazine%29.htm

Let the light shine.

HOLLYWOOD
02-11-2011, 04:49 PM
The Jewish Republicans' Paul Problem: Ron and Rand

Submitted by James Besser on Fri, 02/11/2011 - 10:27

If I were running the Republican Jewish Coalition, I'd be getting a little nervous about the battle going on in their party.

On one hand, the GOP stands to benefit with Jewish voters in 2012, at least a bit, from the perception President Obama has been either too tough on Israel or too inept in Middle East policy.

We know a majority of Jews don't vote based mostly on the Israel issue, but under normal circumstances this administration's uneven performance on Middle East matters – and the relentless campaign to portray it as anti-Israel -- could be expected to add a few points to the GOP's traditional Jewish vote count.
http://www.thejewishweek.com/blogs/political_insider/jewish_republicans_paul_problem_ron_and_rand

As usual, article is 110% bullshit...

Beside the nonsense hit piece, Obama Increased Jewish State AID on a multitude of avenues to Israel (Supplementals, "so-called" joint development weapons and research projects, low/privileged corporate interest rate banking loans, devoted congressional support, export AND import subsidies, US Tax credits and more. All have increased under Obama's regime, more than Dubya W Bush.

Propaganda... let me take a wild guess.. James Besser is Jewish writing for Jewish propaganda print? :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
02-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Propaganda... let me take a wild guess.. James Besser is Jewish writing for Jewish propaganda print? :rolleyes:

How very, very impolitic of you to point that out Hollywood.

Bad, Hollywood.

aravoth
02-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Jewish Republicans....Jewish Democrats. Their political affiliations mean nothing because they are united in one purpose: keeping Israel on the tit.

This statement reminds me of a very large sack of shit.

BDR
02-11-2011, 05:18 PM
While the pro-Israeli faction is certianly a majority of the Jewish Conservatives, and Liberals for that matter, do not make the false assumption that all Jewish people are united in this viewpoint. I am proud to be a Jewish Anti-Zionist that opposes foreign aid to Israel, and know several others, be they liberals, conservatives, or libertarians, that share my view.

AlienLanes82
02-11-2011, 05:47 PM
While the pro-Israeli faction is certianly a majority of the Jewish Conservatives, and Liberals for that matter, do not make the false assumption that all Jewish people are united in this viewpoint. I am proud to be a Jewish Anti-Zionist that opposes foreign aid to Israel, and know several others, be they liberals, conservatives, or libertarians, that share my view.

Count me as a second Jewish Ron Paul supporter. I oppose all foreign aid, and while I wouldn't quite call myself "anti-Zionist", I think that the history of Zionism is pretty messed up.

fj45lvr
02-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I hate this use of "jewish" in regards to political groups of any political party. what could jewish groups have issue with concerning the Pauls??? Aid to Israel? Then why don't they re-name their group Israeli Republican Jewish yada yada yada?? or better yet racist Zionist Republicans...

ExPatPaki
02-11-2011, 06:28 PM

Count me as a second Jewish Ron Paul supporter. I oppose all foreign aid, and while I wouldn't quite call myself "anti-Zionist", I think that the history of Zionism is pretty messed up.

Right. There are plenty of Jews which are against Israel's policies such as Noam Chomsky and Professor Finklestein. And there's plenty of Christians and a few Muslims who can be construed as Zionist.

AlienLanes82
02-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Right. There are plenty of Jews which are against Israel's policies such as Noam Chomsky and Professor Finklestein. And there's plenty of Christians and a few Muslims who can be construed as Zionist.

It's very hard for me to articulate my feelings about Israel correctly because it's very personal to me, since about half of my family live there.

Philosophically, I don't believe that nationhood should be tied to either religion or ethnicity. There is an inherent contradiction between a being a state that officially endorses a specific religion/ethnicity and being a democracy with equality and freedom. Israel certainly experiences this, and many Israeli writers (especially from the Israeli left) have written about it extensively. So, I have to say I don't think Israel should have been founded as a Jewish state, and certainly not in a predominantly Muslim area. At the same time, saying that feels like a slap in the face to my family there. None of them wanted to oppress Arabs or fight wars; they went there to try to live a peaceful life in a Jewish country as opposed to being a perpetually under-siege wandering minority.

And yet, even if one says that Israel should not exist, the fact is that it does exist, and people live there (most of whom were born there, and didn't have much of a choice about how their country was founded in 1948), and have the right to protect themselves from terrorism, and just like every other country, they're going to make mistakes.

As for Israel's policies, I feel like I'd be kicking them in the nuts if I said "I oppose Israel's policies." I suppose my feelings on Israel's policies are much like my feelings towards America's policies - I like some, and I don't like others. But I don't live in Israel and I do live in America. So, I don't feel like I have the right to say "Israel, you should do this or that." I always hope for Israel's better half to prevail - the half that values civil liberties and democracy. But I feel uncomfortable about telling Israel what it should do. I wouldn't do it any more than I would say "Pakistan should do X; Egyptians should do Y".

But I do think that, being Jewish, it's much more valuable for me to challenge other Jews about their beliefs and views rather than go around challenging Muslims about theirs.

LibForestPaul
02-11-2011, 09:44 PM
And yet, even if one says that Israel should not exist, the fact is that it does exist, and people live there (most of whom were born there, and didn't have much of a choice about how their country was founded in 1948), and have the right to protect themselves from terrorism, and just like every other country, they're going to make mistakes.
->
And yet, even if one says that Israel should never had been created through lies and violence, the fact is that it does exist, and people live there (most of whom were born there, and didn't have much of a choice about how their country was founded in 1948), and have the right to protect themselves from the natives who still fight to regain their land and their home and their life.

As an American, I certainly can not call the kettle black. Though I can point out revisionist history.

sofia
02-11-2011, 11:08 PM
What percentage of total US population is jewish vote?

about 3% of the general population.....but 50% of all billionaires...

and about 95% of all Hollywood big shots, newsmedia moguls, and Wall Street bosses...

Bernanke, Greenspan, Volcker, Blankfein, Geitner, Summers, Rubin, etc

juvanya
02-12-2011, 02:26 AM

How does cutting welfare help people?

juvanya
02-12-2011, 02:27 AM

Chomsky and Funklestunkle are hardly Jewish. They only wave that for publicity.

cindy25
02-12-2011, 03:09 AM
the Jewish vote is 2%; and 70% of that is Democratic. plus the Jewish vote in NY and CA is useless.

if FL is close enough for the Jewish vote to matter the election is lost, and if CA/NY are close enough for the Jewish vote to matter its a GOP landslide.

I would rather target the Muslim vote and carry Michigan