PDA

View Full Version : Amash confusion on Patriot Act Provision Extension

jscoppe
02-11-2011, 09:46 AM
WTF

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll029.xml

ಠ_ಠ

Edit: Looks like I jumped the gun. This is a vote to allow a vote on the act that will require a majority vote... vote

CRISIS AVERTED ;)

SilentBull
02-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't think this means he will be voting yes.

Nate-ForLiberty
02-11-2011, 09:51 AM
wtf indeed

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dzp2Km6rvSM/TF7MZYdyAZI/AAAAAAAAAuE/MMumStI8Ky8/s1600/angry+baby.jpg

in fairness, he voted YEA to H.Res.79 which is not the Patriot Act extension, but a resolution to consider the extension.

GunnyFreedom
02-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Amash said on his FB that he would vote against PA on adoption, but vote with the party on procedure. Looks like he was just fulfilling his word.

brandon
02-11-2011, 10:13 AM
I just came here to post this too. No surprise for me. Not sure why people here ever touted him as a liberty candidate in the first place. He's always come across as a typical politician to me.

SilentBull
02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I just came here to post this too. No surprise for me. Not sure why people here ever touted him as a liberty candidate in the first place. He's always come across as a typical politician to me.

What are you basing that on? Did you read all the posts here? He will NOT be voting for the extension. So what are you referring to??

jscoppe
02-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Sorry about the confusion. I misread the vote and headlines all over the place were prominently displaying PATRIOT ACT, PASS, and HOUSE. I found the vote and was looking at the yeas and nays without paying much attention.

The real vote will probably come up next week, and it will have some debate, along with the opportunity to add amendments.

Melissa
02-11-2011, 10:30 AM
read his facebook page he says he has even talked this over with Ron Paul. I have been watching Amash since he was in Michigan if you dont think he is a liberty candidate then I dont know what is. He has been just as perfect as Dr. Paul in his votes

brandon
02-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Sorry about the confusion. I misread the vote and headlines all over the place were prominently displaying PATRIOT ACT, PASS, and HOUSE. I found the vote and was looking at the yeas and nays without paying much attention.

The real vote will probably come up next week, and it will have some debate, along with the opportunity to add amendments.
Yea it got me to. I'm guessing you read it on reddit. Same here.

brenden.b
02-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Typical politician? Hardly...

biles1234
02-11-2011, 03:46 PM
READ CLEARLY BEFORE MAKING ASSUMPTIONS, PEOPLE

From Amash's Facebook:
Just voted yes on H Res 79, a closed rule defining the process for (re)considering H R 514. I stick with my party on procedure, but I will oppose H R 514 (again) on final passage. H Res 79 passed 248-176.

H R 514 = PATRIOT Act Extension FYI.

TruckinMike
02-12-2011, 10:32 PM
"...Just voted yes on H Res 79, a closed rule defining the process for (re)considering H R 514.[B] I stick with my party on procedure, but I will oppose H R 514 (again) on final passage."

Sounds mighty weak to me. Voting for 79 is damn near the same thing as voting for 514 --- that's why it was introduced --- just so 514 would pass.

Excuse me while I cough, Bu%&Sh*!

TMIKE

GunnyFreedom
02-13-2011, 12:15 AM
What did HR 79 do?

GunnyFreedom
02-13-2011, 12:17 AM
H.R.79
Latest Title: Dependent Care Act of 2011
Sponsor: Rep Jackson Lee, Sheila [TX-18] (introduced 1/5/2011) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 1/5/2011 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs.

GunnyFreedom
02-13-2011, 12:19 AM
H. Res. 79:
Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 514) to extend expiring provisions of the USA

Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 514) to extend expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 relating to access to business records, individual terrorists as agents of foreign powers, and roving wiretaps until December 8, 2011.

Text:

Resolved, That upon the adoption of this resolution it shall be in order to consider in the House the bill (H.R. 514) to extend expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 relating to access to business records, individual terrorists as agents of foreign powers, and roving wiretaps until December 8, 2011. All points of order against consideration of the bill are waived. The bill shall be considered as read. All points of order against provisions in the bill are waived. The previous question shall be considered as ordered on the bill to final passage without intervening motion except: (1) one hour of debate, with 40 minutes equally divided and controlled by the chair and ranking minority member of the Committee on the Judiciary and 20 minutes equally divided and controlled by the chair and ranking minority member of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence; and (2) one motion to recommit.

Looks to me like he just agreed to vote on it. I'm probably more like RP where I hate the PA enough to not even want it voted on, but I wouldn't begrudge the principles of a man just for agreeing that something should come to a vote, even if he hates it. Maybe it's just me. I don't think another three days on the calendar would have changed anybodies positions, but it would have polished the oppositions arguments and press releases. So just get it done and get it on the record. get to work on the budget.

I would like to have seen at least two hours of debate, however, but it's a helluvalot better than none, which is what the 2/3 broken vote was.

TruckinMike
02-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Maybe I jumped the gun a bit(or not), but words in this game are just words. And yes, I suppose there is virtue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue) in doing what you'll say you'll do, even if your you're Hitler.

Good folks trust because they are trustworthy - And Amash supporters are good folks. So take heed: If you give to much slack on the reigns, the buggy may end up over the cliff.

TMike

bwlibertyman
02-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I really don't see a problem with voting to vote on the bill. I don't like it when you hear that politicians won't even let the bill come to the floor. It always sounds to me like there's something to hide. As long as Amash doesn't vote for the bill to be passed which he has spoken that he won't, I don't have a problem with it.

If people think that he's being an establishment type because he's voting procedurally with his party then I don't know what to say.

Brett85
02-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I really don't see a problem with voting to vote on the bill. I don't like it when you hear that politicians won't even let the bill come to the floor. It always sounds to me like there's something to hide. As long as Amash doesn't vote for the bill to be passed which he has spoken that he won't, I don't have a problem with it.

If people think that he's being an establishment type because he's voting procedurally with his party then I don't know what to say.

Exactly. I thought we wanted to have a debate over the Patriot Act?

CurranH
02-13-2011, 06:21 PM
H R 79 merely sets forth the procedural rules for consideration of the PATRIOT Act. It has nothing whatsoever to do with supporting or opposing the PATRIOT Act. Instead, it designates the process for considering H R 514, which will be under a closed rule.

Good thing we have Congressman Amash reading the bills, because there are some people around here who aren't, and therefore quickly jump to false conclusions.

tsai3904
02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Looks like PATRIOT Act extension passed.

From Amash's Facebook:

just voted no (again) on H R 514, To Extend Expiring Provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act and Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act. Among other concerns, it may allow the government continuously to monitor pay phones or public computers, even when a suspect is not using the devices. The breadth of the provisions raises serious Fourth Amendment concerns. It passed 275-144.