PDA

View Full Version : Girl sueing for half a mil for being traumatized by watching brokeback Mtn

tangent4ronpaul
02-11-2011, 05:43 AM
The catch? - her watching it was not voluntary. Her public school MADE HER watch it!

What the hell are they teaching in school these days?

Watch for news articles about this today.

Kilrain
02-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Date: May 13, 2007

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/243803/family_sues_chicago_school_after_showing.html

0zzy
02-11-2011, 05:53 AM
The "trauma" she endured is ridiculous to me. A movie like that really just blew her mind? She would freak the heck out with Clockwork Orange.

Though forcing kids to watch it is stupid too, especially a rated R movie to 12 year olds. dumb dumb dumb.

tasteless
02-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Yeah, I'm also finding articles from 07.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-05-13/news/0705120631_1_substitute-teacher-movie-brokeback-mountain

Sola_Fide
02-11-2011, 06:30 AM
I think she has a case.

Krugerrand
02-11-2011, 07:18 AM
The "trauma" she endured is ridiculous to me. A movie like that really just blew her mind? She would freak the heck out with Clockwork Orange.

Though forcing kids to watch it is stupid too, especially a rated R movie to 12 year olds. dumb dumb dumb.

It's been a long time ... but I remember Clockwork Orange being very disturbing for me.

fisharmor
02-11-2011, 07:26 AM
It's been a long time ... but I remember Clockwork Orange being very disturbing for me.

Have you read the book?
It's actually more disturbing. But unlike the movie, it actually redeems itself at the end.
Has quite a libertarian message, too: that the state can't control you, and that social forces are more potent in dealing with ruffians.

jmdrake
02-11-2011, 07:39 AM
LOL. I hope she wins. Nobody should be forced to watch anything. And enough with this cultural agenda of trying to force people to accept certain viewpoints.

jmdrake
02-11-2011, 07:45 AM

I just noticed she was 12. :eek:

It is also documented that the substitute teacher told a student to shut the door of the classroom before starting the movie. She told the class "What happens in Ms.Buford's class stays in Ms.Buford's class." Showing the movie Brokeback Mountain was not on the normal teacher's agenda for the substitute teacher that day in class. Why Ms.Buford showed the R-rated video is unknown, especially to a class full of 12 and 13 year-olds without parental notice or approval. The school states that the substitute did not receive the OK to show it in class from them either. This clearly puts her career in danger.

Put's her career in danger? Yeah that's an understatement. :rolleyes:

oyarde
02-12-2011, 03:47 PM
That movie kind of traumatized me too ..... :)

youngbuck
02-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I can only conclude that the teacher who chose to show that movie intentionally chose it to indoctrinate, brainwash, and force her own on agenda on, the children.

bill1971
02-12-2011, 03:53 PM
This should be interested how it is spun the next few days. The religious groups will be saying that schools are trying to push the gay agenda. The gay groups will say, "what is the big deal?", that being gay shouldnt be hidden or being ashamed of. Both groups missing the point, that it was a rated R movie showed to minors, without permission from their parents or consent from the school.

akforme
02-12-2011, 04:09 PM
it traumatized my neighbor. he's an older, biker dude that loves western movies and asked if I had any so I downloaded brokeback and gave it to him, it was fricken hilarious because he hadn't heard about it at all.

NYgs23
02-12-2011, 05:43 PM
She's 12 years old, and the movie's rated R and is supposed to include (admittedly I haven't seen) pretty explicit sex scenes. It could easily be disturbing for her, depending on how sheltered she is. It was moronic for a teacher to show this to 8th graders.

Of course, this just shows how compulsory government schooling is a forced imposition in and of itself. It inherently involves some adults in control imposing their own values on other peoples' children, whether it's Hostel or Teletubbies. Both of which would have traumatized me when I was twelve.

1000-points-of-fright
02-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Maybe she was traumatized when she realized that her boobs would never be as nice as Anne Hathaway's.

Noob
02-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I never even watch the movie.