PDA

View Full Version : LEGISLATIVE ALERT! ~ Patriot Act Coming Again! ~ C4L

Reason
02-10-2011, 12:17 PM
http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/cimages/9712f553eeb54df4c700abc96d8f0cb4/logo.jpg

February 10, 2011

It definitely sent them reeling.

Unfortunately, much like the villains in horror movies, unconstitutional legislation is tough to kill and has a habit of coming back before you know it.

A vote is likely later today on the "PATRIOT" Act extension.

Please, contact your representative right away and send a clear message that any vote in support of the "PATRIOT Act" is unacceptable.

They tried to sneak it through under a suspension of the rules in their "PATRIOT" Act sneak attack. But since you and I beat them Tuesday, their cover is blown.

However, in another round of political maneuvering, Republicans rammed H.R. 514, the bill to extend three provisions of the "PATRIOT" Act through December 8, 2011, through the House Rules Committee Wednesday afternoon during an "emergency" session.

The rules that passed are set up so there is almost no debate, absolutely no amendments, and no points of order against the bill or any of its provisions.

The manner in which the government is going about its effort to renew these expiring provisions is despicable.

In fact, the Republican leadership is acting exactly like the Obama Administration in its dedication to ram this extension down the American People's throats despite widespread opposition.

Your efforts helped to keep two thirds of the House from supporting the extension. Now I need your commitment to double down on the pressure.

A vote could take place as early as today on this Bill of Rights-shredding legislation.

The liberty movement must stand up to the surveillance state by flooding the House's offices with phone calls, faxes, and emails.

Please, contact your representative to send a clear message that any vote in support of the "PATRIOT Act" is unacceptable.

By the end of this week, everyone in the U.S. House needs to know they will have to answer for trampling on the Fourth Amendment if they vote to throw your civil liberties out the window because it's supposedly the "politically popular" thing to do.

In Liberty,

http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/cimages/9712f553eeb54df4c700abc96d8f0cb4/tatesig-small.jpg

John Tate

President

Anti Federalist
02-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Twenty-six Republicans voted against the Patriot Act extension, but only eight were freshmen – Reps. Justin Amash (Mich.), Mike Fitzpatrick (Pa.), Chris Gibson (N.Y.), Randy Hultgren (Ill.), Raul Labrador (Idaho), Bobby Schilling (Ill.), Dave Schweikert (Ariz.) and Rob Woodall (Ga.).

Of those eight freshmen, it appears that all were Tea Party-supported candidates. It's encouraging to see these officials stick to their professed ideals. I hope that this is a continuing phenomenon. According to this article at MSNBC, though, at least forty house seats went to Tea Party-backed candidates. Cross-referencing the list at MSNBC and the outcome of the vote, the following is a list of Tea Party-backed candidates voting for the bill:

Tim Griffin (AR-2), Paul Gosar (AZ-1), Steve Southerland (FL-2), Allen West (FL-22), Sandy Adams (FL-24), Bob Dold (IL-10), Adam Kinzinger (IL-11), Marlin Stutzman (IN-3), Todd Young (IN-9), Jeff Landry (LA-3), Dan Benishek (MI-1), Tim Walberg (MI-7), Michelle Bachmann (MN-6), Vicky Hartzler (MO-4), Renee Ellmers (NC-2), Frank Guinta (NH-1), Joe Heck (NV-3), Michael Grimm (NY-13), Steven Chabot (OH-1), Bill Johnson (OH-6), Steve Stivers (OH-15), Jim Renacci (OH-16), Tim Scott (SC-1), Jeff Duncan (SC-3), Trey Gowdy (SC-4), Mick Mulvaney (SC-5), Scott DesJarlais (TN-4), Bill Flores (TX-17), H. Morgan Griffith (VA-9), Sean Duffy (WI-7), Reid Ribble (WI-8), David McKinley (WV-1)

Melissa
02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
And the scary part is they need less votes today so call call call and if they were a tea party candidate call all day so they know they only get once chance to say they are with us but its the votes that count

Brett85
02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Do as anybody know what time the house is voting on this?

Melissa
02-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Yes both Stutzman and Young in Indiana need to be called they told CFL and 9/12 and other liberty groups they are for the Constitution and the first vote to actually prove it they violate thier oath already

Stary Hickory
02-10-2011, 12:42 PM
The GOP voter base has abandoned the patriot act and are rightfully against it (small victories). Now what the hell does the GOP think it is doing here? What do Senate Democrats think they are doing here? Why is Obama calling for an extension? When he opposed it as a Senator?

Seriously fed up here.

Anti Federalist
02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
The GOP voter base has abandoned the patriot act and are rightfully against it (small victories). Now what the hell does the GOP think it is doing here? What do Senate Democrats think they are doing here? Why is Obama calling for an extension? When he opposed it as a Senator?

Seriously fed up here.

Why?

Because the will of the people as expressed through their representatives is ignored.

The system perpetuates itself and passes off this sham as "representation".

And some call me a tin foil hat wearing "nutter" for pointing out the painfully obvious.

Noob
02-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Back in the U.S.S.R!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhFksitSGdA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EuElMVayqM&feature=watch_response

Noob
02-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Sample letter

The PATRIOT Act makes a mockery of our civil liberties, letting government officials spy on whomever they want, for any reason, without ever letting them know or giving them a chance to challenge the order in court.

Since the founding of these United States and adoption of the Fourth Amendment but before the Patriot Act, intrusive investigative techniques had to be properly authorized under the law. Reasonable suspicion, probable cause, and due process were the guardians of personal privacies. Under the Patriot Act, these have been disregarded.

Will the new Congress act responsibly and unite to protect Constitutionally guaranteed privacy and liberty, voting against this massive information collection, power-grabbing scheme? Or will they spew forth the usual jargon citing grave threats against national security and peace, voting to gradually eliminate our civil liberties and rights under their self-appointed role as overzealous security guards for the homeland who well spit on the Constitution, and ignore the Bill of Rights and the Fourth Amendment.

All of the following provisions of the Patriot Act violate the Constitution . . .

* Roving wiretaps, where my calls can be monitored without specific warrant

* The infamous "library provision" where The State can monitor my reading habits

* National Security Letters that allow federal agents to spy on me without a Constitutional warrant, and where the service providers who share my private info can't tell me about it

* Requirements that my bank report my financial activities to federal cops and bureaucrats

This is only a partial list. Nearly everything in the Patriot Act violates the Constitution, which you swore to defend.

Please take note -- you did NOT swear an oath to defend me and my fellow citizens from every threat that makes you nervous. It's the Constitution that you're supposed to worry about first.

Everyone agrees that terrorists should be caught and stopped. But before 9/11, the federal government already had all the tools it needed to prevent that attack. The failure to prevent 9-11 was due to incompetence, NOT the Constitution.

Now, the Patriot Act has made federal incompetence more likely, NOT less. It has caused federal agents to lose their focus. The Justice Department's Inspector General reports that between 2003 and 2006 the FBI granted itself nearly 200,000 NSLs, but most of these were directed at innocent Americans, NOT potential terrorists.

What this tells me is that you are endangering me, NOT protecting me. This kind of abuse is why the Constitution limits State power, because no mere human can be trusted to use unlimited power wisely.

In conclusion . . .

* The Patriot Act should not be a law because it was NOT read before it was passed.

* The Patriot Act should not have been passed because it violates the Constitution.

* The Patriot Act would not have prevented 9-11, and it is NOT needed to combat future terrorist acts.

* The Patriot Act has been constantly abused, in spite of the usual worthless political promises that it would not be.

The Patriot Act has proven to be one of the most ineffective programs for preventing terrorist attacks and addressing matters of real national security that Congress has ever foisted upon the people. However, under this same Patriot Act, it is law-abiding Americans who have been the targets of invasive and unconstitutional laws, in direct conflict with the Bill of Rights, in their own homes and businesses, on the streets, in airports, mass transit stations, and in their private correspondence and financial transactions .

The Patriot Act has specifically gutted the Fourth Amendment, particularly the requirements for probable cause, oaths, and warrants. And the Patriot Act is a clear violation of the Congressional oath of office, one that demands office holders to uphold the rights and civil liberties guaranteed under the Constitution.

Please put an end to the existing and ever-expanding domestic spying program by letting the sun go down on the Patriot Act this February of 2011. The "papers please" mentality of Congress is appalling and un-American.

Oppose and vote NO on H.R. 514 - To extend expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and Intelligence Reform of Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 relating to access to business records, individual terrorists as agents of foreign powers and roving wiretaps until December 8, 2011

https://fs8.formsite.com/cfiforg/form746/secure_index.html

Cap
02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
I did my part, I called.

BuddyRey
02-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Wish I hadn't overslept. I'll no doubt get an answering machine if I call now.

kah13176
02-10-2011, 06:08 PM
My Republican representative in GA voted for it last time around. Fuck him.

Reason
02-10-2011, 06:18 PM
////