PDA

View Full Version : Michele Bachmann flip flopped on the Patriot Act extension

starless
02-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Check out her response to the Judge's question starting at 2:30-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_JsMNDNIf8

Now she doesn't explicitly say she is against the Patriot Act but I think it's still a very strong inference, and she never disagreed with Judge Napolitano. Is there any more incriminating video out there regarding this issue and Bachmann?

low preference guy
02-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Bachmann is a joke

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-10-2011, 01:27 AM
I really hope the Judge stops calling authoritarians, libertarians. It is one quark of his I find really irritating. Mass e-mail bomb? :p

Inkblots
02-10-2011, 01:29 AM
I really hope the Judge stops calling authoritarians, libertarians. It is one quark of his I find really irritating. Mass e-mail bomb? :p

I think he's hoping if he says it enough times, it'll come true. Or maybe that they'll feel guilty letting him say that, and start acting like libertarians to make up for it ;)

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-10-2011, 01:30 AM
I think he's hoping if he says it enough times, it'll come true. Or maybe that they'll feel guilty letting him say that, and start acting like libertarians to make up for it ;)

Well it doesn't appear that it is working, and I find it does vastly more damage than any perceived benefit, plus I do not like being associated so closely to people who differ so much from me. I mean, is Bachmann anything like Sheldon Richman, Lew Rockwell, Thomas Woods, or Roderick Long? Of course not and it is disingenious to try and put them together.

__27__
02-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Bachmann is a joke

I've only been saying so for years. Every time I see a Bachmann thread here I tell people exactly what she is, batshit crazy. I think the phrase batshit crazy may have even been invented just for her, she fits it so well.

Incrimsonias
02-10-2011, 01:36 AM
lol why is she redefining negative claim rights

__27__
02-10-2011, 01:37 AM
lol why is she redefining negative claim rights

Because she's batshit crazy. ;)

low preference guy
02-10-2011, 01:38 AM
I've only been saying so for years. Every time I see a Bachmann thread here I tell people exactly what she is, batshit crazy. I think the phrase batshit crazy may have even been invented just for her, she fits it so well.

She gives Ron props, and vocally supports auditing the Fed. That's nice, but that's the only position of hers that I'm aware isn't neoconish.

ClayTrainor
02-10-2011, 01:46 AM
She gives Ron props, and vocally supports auditing the Fed. That's nice, but that's the only position of hers that I'm aware isn't neoconish.

Yea, and she's probably just using those positions to align herself politically, not for any principled reason.

Many of the policies she advocates are responsible for enabling some of the worst, most repulsive kinds of human action that can be conceived. She is definitely no friend of liberty.

jtstellar
02-10-2011, 07:30 AM
it's an assuage and switch strategy.. you let people know that doing certain things is cool and hope that they will become voluntary over time.. it's like baiting a kid with candies

it may or may not work but it's really a very basic strategy for people who don't lack social skills when they wish to persuade someone.

nobody's_hero
02-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Maybe I'm just picking semantics, but she hasn't 'flip-flopped' until she votes against it when she has another chance. There is no "flip-flopping" if she was a hypocrite before and a hypocrite again.

NewFederalist
02-10-2011, 08:00 AM
I see her as a kind of female Paul Ryan. She is very good on some things but not on others.

libertarian4321
02-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Bachmann is a joke

Bachman is just an older, less attractive version of Palin.

TruckinMike
02-10-2011, 08:07 AM

+1000

Patriotxi
02-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Mine too! “Will you oppose federal power grabs like roving wiretaps and warrantless searches, and oppose PATRIOT Act renewal that includes such items?”

Before the election, your representative answered “Yes” to this question on Campaign for Liberty’s .........Federal Candidate Survey.

However, when his vote counted (and his seat was safe) as three provisions of the “PATRIOT” Act, including roving wiretaps, came before the U.S. House on Tuesday night for extension, your representative, Mick Mulvaney, broke his campaign promise and voted to extend them until December 8, 2011.

Sola_Fide
02-10-2011, 08:28 AM
She looks pretty cute to me:

http://justpaste.it/files/justpaste/michele_bachmann_crack_is_wack_2.jpeg

Brett85
02-10-2011, 08:37 AM
She didn't actually say anything about the Patriot Act. She just avoided the question.

Pericles
02-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Maybe I'm just picking semantics, but she hasn't 'flip-flopped' until she votes against it when she has another chance. There is no "flip-flopping" if she was a hypocrite before and a hypocrite again.
That ^ Just because you have a Constitution class, it does not automatically follow that anybody learned anything.

HOLLYWOOD
02-10-2011, 09:33 AM
The clever art of a political lawyer... Americans are plain ignorant and lazy not to challenge these hacks with full force.

The NEOCONS over at RESISTNET/PATRIOT ACTION NETWORK spend an incredible amount of time shaping their unknowingly Tea Party sheep to follow Michelle Bachman and liberty stealing policies which is realy controlled by the real financiers of their gimmicky organizations.

romacox
02-10-2011, 09:48 AM
I just called Michele Bachmann's office at (202) 225-2331. Pointed out that it was all over the internet that she had voted for the extension of the Patriot Act, and people are upset.

I also explained that it was unconstitutional (4th amendment) for these agencies to write their own search warrants, and to please vote no today. Also that she was elected because she said she would keep her oath to uphold the Constitution.

Please call her and your own Congressmen. Thank you for your help.

ctiger2
02-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Michelle Bachmann simply wants to be re-elected no matter what the cost. Every decision she makes is her best calculation to pander to authority and still be re-elected. Michelle Bachmann has ZERO integrity. She's the antithesis of Ron Paul.

TheDriver
02-10-2011, 10:48 AM
The problem with politicians like Bachman is partisanship, she, like many others, will abandon principles to be on the partisan team, daily. I'm disappointed with her and a bunch of Big Government politicians, Republican and Democrat, trading our liberty for alleged safety.

romacox
02-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Michelle Bachmann simply wants to be re-elected no matter what the cost. Every decision she makes is her best calculation to pander to authority and still be re-elected. Michelle Bachmann has ZERO integrity. She's the antithesis of Ron Paul.

Quite possibly, and that is a good reason that her vote could be changed to a no vote

HOLLYWOOD
02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
It's also against the 1st amendment, because after the authorities(FBI/US Marshalls/DHS/ICE?etc) RAID you and your home without any warrant, you are not allow to speak/communicate about the authority's invasion/raid to anyone under penalty of losing everything you own and imprisonment. Violating your 1st amendment rights too.

I just called Michele Bachmann's office at (202) 225-2331. Pointed out that it was all over the internet that she had voted for the extension of the Patriot Act, and people are upset.

I also explained that it was unconstitutional (4th amendment) for these agencies to write their own search warrants, and to please vote no today. Also that she was elected because she said she would keep her oath to uphold the Constitution.

Please call her and your own Congressmen. Thank you for your help.

TheDriver
02-10-2011, 10:57 AM
It's also against the 1st amendment, because after the authorities(FBI/US Marshalls/DHS/ICE?etc) RAID you and your home without any warrant, you are not allow to speak/communicate about the authority's invasion/raid to anyone under penalty of losing everything you own and imprisonment. Violating your 1st amendment rights too.

This^ And I think this angle has the most "sell-ability."