PDA

View Full Version : Slate on the House refusal on the Patriot Act: "The 24-Hour Libertarian Revolt"

sailingaway
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2284505/

My response to the last line is 'just give us an election cycle or two.'

Brett85
02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
So there's a vote tomorrow and then another vote on Monday? Why is there two more votes on this?

DamianTV
02-09-2011, 09:37 PM
So there's a vote tomorrow and then another vote on Monday? Why is there two more votes on this?

They are trying to ram this crap down our throats as usual. Once theyre in office, they seem to not give a shit about what we want or dont want.

Pericles
02-09-2011, 09:38 PM
So everyone can keep voting until they get it "right". Just like joining the EU, you keep voting until you join, then you don't need to vote anymore.

Brett85
02-09-2011, 09:44 PM
So everyone can keep voting until they get it "right". Just like joining the EU, you keep voting until you join, then you don't need to vote anymore.

Yeah. I'm afraid that there won't be nearly as many Republicans vote against it the next time. I think that many of them voted against it this time merely on procedural grounds.

sailingaway
02-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah. I'm afraid that there won't be nearly as many Republicans vote against it the next time. I think that many of them voted against it this time merely on procedural grounds.

Unless of course they hear overwhelmingly from constituents. Many of our most active are in CPAC. I challenge those who aren't to make calls and send emails. Downsize DC has a link, or go through house.gov

TCE
02-09-2011, 09:57 PM
They'll only need a simple majority. This is going to pass no problem.

sailingaway
02-09-2011, 09:58 PM
They'll only need a simple majority. This is going to pass no problem.

So you don't even want to put the fear of God into them and maybe make it close?

You're no fun....:p

TCE
02-09-2011, 10:08 PM
So you don't even want to put the fear of God into them and maybe make it close?

You're no fun....:p

Oh, I already slammed my Rep's office. It's much more effective for me because the Illinois Legislature is gonna gerrymander my Rep. out of existence, so hopefully he has a good time for the next year and a half :)

sailingaway
02-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Oh, I already slammed my Rep's office. It's much more effective for me because the Illinois Legislature is gonna gerrymander my Rep. out of existence, so hopefully he has a good time for the next year and a half :)

:D

Brett85
02-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Unless of course they hear overwhelmingly from constituents. Many of our most active are in CPAC. I challenge those who aren't to make calls and send emails. Downsize DC has a link, or go through house.gov

The final vote on extending the Patriot Act won't actually be until Monday. Everybody will be able to call their constituents then.

sailingaway
02-09-2011, 10:48 PM
The final vote on extending the Patriot Act won't actually be until Monday. Everybody will be able to call their constituents then.

Well, the trick is to catch them before they commit. Not that I'm saying it would be defeated, but the larger the number of votes against it, the more the media will take notice.