PDA

View Full Version : Montana Bill Wants U.S. to Withdraw from UN

Marenco
02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
A bill that calls on Montana to ask Congress to withdraw the United States from being a part of the United Nations is heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee this morning.

Republican Senator Dave Lewis says the United States wastes billions of dollars to be a part of the United Nations and the bill's language calls for this dissolution so that the united states "may maintain control over its own military forces, finances, and destiny."

But Democrat Representative Franke Wilmer says our nation's annual contribution is a tenth of one percent of the federal budget and feels that there is a lack of understanding surrounding the United Nations and our country's involvement with the organization.

Those who support the bill feel that the UN threatens America’s sovereignty and promotes gun control.

“Global problems including terrorism, weapons proliferation, humanitarian disasters, infectious diseases, not to mention genocide; these are trans-national problems, no single country is the location, no single country can be the solution,” says Democrat Representative Franke Wilmer (House District 64.)

“It seems to me that these are all global problems, trans-national problems, problems that require collaboration and I don’t see what we gain by hunkering down on the prairie and pretending these problems don’t exist,” asks Senator Anders Blewett (D- Senate District 11.)

“Why doesn’t someone bring up, why doesn’t someone say well why don’t we quit, let’s get out. Lets quite spending billions of dollars every year and that’s what I’m asking in this resolution,” says the bill’s sponsor, Senator Lewis.

Currently, 190 nations are a part of the UN and to the bill sponsor's knowledge; no one has ever withdrawn their membership.

The bill would simply begin the process, as Senator Lewis and several supporters pointed out, it lacks teeth as Montana can not force the U.S. to withdraw.

http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/Bill-Wants-US-to-Withdraw-from-UN-115525864.html

AGRP
02-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Couldn't every state indirectly withdraw with the 10th Amendment?

Southron
02-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Couldn't every state indirectly withdraw with the 10th Amendment?

They would probably still fund it in taxes, unless they seceded.

I despise the U.N. but I just don't see it as a hot topic at the moment, unfortunately.

Pericles
02-09-2011, 09:31 PM
They would probably still fund it in taxes, unless they seceded.

I despise the U.N. but I just don't see it as a hot topic at the moment, unfortunately.
Agreed. The easy thing to do is just not give them any money - we have bigger problems requiring our attention.