PDA

View Full Version : House Could Reconsider Patriot Act as Early as Thursday

Zatch
02-09-2011, 04:01 PM
http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/02/09/house-could-reconsider-patriot-act-early-thursday

The House could reconsider the Patriot Act as early as Thursday.

The bill unexpectedly imploded last night after the House required a two-thirds vote to pass it.

This new strategy could require a simple majority.

The Rules Committee announced an emergency hearing on Wednesday on provisions of the legislation, which if not renewed, are scheduled to expire at the end of the month.

Anticipating eventual success, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul released a statement Wednesday saying he would oppose the bill in the Senate.

"I firmly believe it is a primary duty of our government to do what it can to protect the lives of its citizens. But I also believe it must in equal measure protect our liberty, and in this our government has failed us. We should remember the words of Ben Franklin, who famously said ‘Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety,'" Paul said.

"It is time for Congress to stop quietly extending this law and avoiding a serious discussion about protecting all the rights of all Americans. I will insist the Senate allow debate and amendments as we consider this important legislation,” he concluded.

Paul's father, Texas Rep. Ron Paul, voted against the legislation on Tuesday. He told Fox News that the bill guts the Constitution.

"I believe strongly that you have to have reasonable cause, you have to name who you're going to investigate in the places and the things you want. The Patriot Act allows the government to look at anything, everywhere without specific indication. So if you care about the Fourth Amendment, you can not support the Patriot Act."

malkusm
02-09-2011, 04:10 PM
It's laughable, really. It didn't pass, so they just decide to vote on it again? And if it doesn't pass this time, they will repeat the process until it does?

Sounds like a job for someone....draft up and submit an amendment that any piece of legislation that fails a vote must be tabled for X number of days before re-appearing on the docket.

sailingaway
02-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Then now is the time to make lots and lots of phone calls.

BenIsForRon
02-09-2011, 04:58 PM
I called Virginia Foxx's office and her guy straight up told me "She's not going to vote against the patriot act". I told him that she better, because there is a new constituency of republicans that are waking up to the erosion of our civil liberties, and won't appreciate her disregard for them.

Valli6
02-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Yeah, someone on FOX just said they would be voting on it tomorrow. He also said that there were 2 other bills that had been expected to pass easily, but did not.

Brett85
02-09-2011, 05:30 PM
I called Virginia Foxx's office and her guy straight up told me "She's not going to vote against the patriot act". I told him that she better, because there is a new constituency of republicans that are waking up to the erosion of our civil liberties, and won't appreciate her disregard for them.

What did he say when you told him that?

libertybrewcity
02-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Patriot Act expires February 28th! We can do this

bunklocoempire
02-09-2011, 05:59 PM
And right on cue:

h ttp://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110209/ts_nm/us_usa_security_threats

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano warned Wednesday that the threat of terrorism against the United States was in some ways "at its most heightened state" since the September 11, 2001 attacks.In addition to the threats by al Qaeda, the militant group behind the attacks nearly a decade ago, Napolitano said the country faces new threats from those inspired by the group and those already inside the United States.
"The threat continues to evolve and in some ways the threat today may be at its most heightened state since the attacks nearly 10 years ago," Napolitano told the U.S. House of Representatives' Homeland Security Committee.

She also said in her testimony to lawmakers that U.S. officials believed there may be individuals who want to carry out attacks already in the country and that "they could carry out acts of violence with little or no warning."...

:rolleyes::mad:

Bunkloco

therepublic
02-09-2011, 06:03 PM
And right on cue:

h ttp://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110209/ts_nm/us_usa_security_threats

She also said in her testimony to lawmakers that U.S. officials believed there may be individuals who want to carry out attacks already in the country and that "they could carry out acts of violence with little or no warning."...[/B][/I]

:rolleyes::mad:

Bunkloco

Tell Napolitano to secure the borders, and stop shredding the Constitution, and the freedoms of law abiding citizens.

Zatch
02-09-2011, 06:24 PM
tell napolitano to secure the borders

zomg racits!!

tsai3904
02-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Schedule for the House tomorrow:

Thursday, February 10th

On Thursday, the House will meet at 10:00 a.m. for morning hour and 12:00 p.m. for legislative business. Last votes expected: 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.

One Minute Speeches (15 per side)

H.Res. 79 – A resolution providing for consideration of H.R. 514, To extend expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 relating to access to business records, individual terrorists as agents of foreign powers, and roving wiretaps until December 8, 2011 (Special Rule, One Hour of Debate) (Sponsored by Rep. David Dreier / Rules Committee)

http://majorityleader.house.gov/floor/2-10-11.pdf

Melissa
02-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Schedule for the House tomorrow:

Thursday, February 10th

On Thursday, the House will meet at 10:00 a.m. for morning hour and 12:00 p.m. for legislative business. Last votes expected: 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.

One Minute Speeches (15 per side)

H.Res. 79 – A resolution providing for consideration of H.R. 514, To extend expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 relating to access to business records, individual terrorists as agents of foreign powers, and roving wiretaps until December 8, 2011 (Special Rule, One Hour of Debate) (Sponsored by Rep. David Dreier / Rules Committee)

http://majorityleader.house.gov/floor/2-10-11.pdf

Good news is all over the internet this and the "we must all be so scared boogie man going to get us" in the yahoo article by DHS people are seeing the light. Keep posting comments here are on your facebooks and blogs. Lets win one for liberty

Alan Brown Jr.
02-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Here a letter just sent off to my Congressman's office:

Earlier this week an attempt to extend certain provisions of the ill-named "PATRIOT" Act failed in the House (requiring a 2/3 vote.) This act was actually rather unpatriotic in the sense that it unconstitutionally removed the protections of the fourth amendment which our founders fought for to keep the citizenry free of search and seizure without probable cause or due process. Constitutionalists and conservatives are rising against this measure (probably why it failed unexpectedly) and most comments I've seen discussing this online do not think that we can truly help security by trading away our God-given rights, as protecting these is what made America great.

Our new Senator, Rand Paul, agrees with this position, and has actually made one of the most concise and eloquent arguments against renewing these provisions in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSDBswx90Cs Rep. Guthrie may appreciate this since I understand they are friends.

I regret not contacting you before the vote took place, since I read to my distress that Rep. Guthrie voted for this extension. Please pass along my strong urging that he defend the Constitution and vote no when they try to pass it next time by a simple majority, which could happen as early as tomorrow.

The first vote shows their support has signs of cracking, we need to go all out as we may never get a better chance! At least, I'm making myself feel better by doing this, since I broke my glasses and can't leave for CPAC on time. :(

Melissa
02-10-2011, 07:10 AM
I hope everyone puts down the blogs this morning and calls calls calls

Bern
02-10-2011, 08:10 AM
The House could reconsider the Patriot Act as early as Thursday. ...

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

romacox
02-10-2011, 08:51 AM
zomg racits!!

Ron Paul would secure our borders (and get rid of Homeland Security...and I agree). Would you call him a zomg recits?