PDA

View Full Version : Time to Turn Off National Anthem Before Sports Events.

Anti Federalist
02-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Bonus, a poll to vote in.

Time to Turn Off National Anthem Before Sports Events.

http://kevin-blackistone.fanhouse.com/2011/02/08/time-to-turn-off-national-anthem-before-sports-events/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%7C200223

On Capitol Hill one June day in 1955, moments after what was dubbed as a premiere of The Pledge of Allegiance set to music, House members in attendance and gallery spectators looking on engaged in a rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner."

It wasn't planned for our national lawmakers to sing the United States' anthem that day. It never is.

Sports, however, have and continue to ritualize it with barely a shred of relevance.

It was, no doubt, Christina Aguilera's fault that she flubbed the National Anthem's lyrics at the Super Bowl on Sunday. But if our lawmakers don't sing it every day to begin the country's business, spectators of a mere sporting event shouldn't be forced to sit through it, either, especially during the time we are living through right now.

There are, after all, a lot of people out there who argue that they don't want politics to have anything to do with sports. They accuse coaches, athletes and media of disrespecting service men and women in battle by using war metaphors to describe how touchdowns are scored, come-from-behind victories are achieved and adversity is fought through to win a game.

gls
02-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from The Simpsons, the one where Homer becomes a boxer: "Due to popular demand, we will forgo our national anthem."

Anti Federalist
02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from The Simpsons, the one where Homer becomes a boxer: "Due to popular demand, we will forgo our national anthem."

Awesome episode - "The Homer They Fall".

Slutter McGee
02-09-2011, 04:02 PM
I cautiously agree, but really dont think it is that big of a deal. I couldnt imagine trying to stop it in the Bible Belt here.

Slutter McGee

Rothbardian Girl
02-09-2011, 04:07 PM
I agree.

Acala
02-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Our so-called National Anthem sucks. It is nearly impossible to sing. The lyrics barely even mention what it is that (once upon a time) made this country special - freedom. And it was written by, of all people, a lawyer. No wonder it sucks. Besides, where did Congress get the authority to proclaim a National Anthem?

"My Country 'tis of Thee" is far better. The first verse begins by proclaiming this the "sweet land of liberty" and ends with freedom ringing from every mountainside. And the fact that it is sung to the tune of the British anthem merely reflects the fact that this nation was born out of, and to a large extent was built on the legacy of, Great Britain.

While we may not be able to get the Star Spnagled Atrocity repealed, at least at Ron Paul events we can show our preference by singing My Country 'tis of Thee.

Pericles
02-09-2011, 04:23 PM
O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

freshjiva
02-09-2011, 04:24 PM
There are, after all, a lot of people out there who argue that they don't want politics to have anything to do with sports. They accuse coaches, athletes and media of disrespecting service men and women in battle by using war metaphors to describe how touchdowns are scored, come-from-behind victories are achieved and adversity is fought through to win a game.

Meh, I think someone is reading into this way too much.

Hell, I'm an immigrant from India, and even I personally have no issues with the Anthem being sung at the beginning of sporting events. I actually enjoy it because it reminds me why America ever achieved greatness in the first place.

Not everything has to be turned into something political.

Anti Federalist
02-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Not everything has to be turned into something political.

I can't think of anything more political than a government decreed national anthem...

freshjiva
02-09-2011, 04:29 PM
I can't think of anything more political than a government decreed national anthem...

While you are right, at least the government has not enforced the singing of the Anthem at sporting events. It is a choice made by the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB, all of which are private businesses.

akforme
02-09-2011, 04:31 PM
I like the version at the end of slap shot where they basically did it in like 10 seconds so the fighting could begin. Can't find it on yt

gls
02-09-2011, 04:32 PM
It is a choice made by the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB, all of which are private businesses.

They're private businesses except when they want a new stadium built at taxpayer expense, lol...

Anti Federalist
02-09-2011, 04:33 PM
While you are right, at least the government has not enforced the singing of the Anthem at sporting events. It is a choice made by the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB, all of which are private businesses.

True, true...they are free to do whatever they wish.

heavenlyboy34
02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
"Star Spangled Banner" sound good on electric guitar, though. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa-q-ztyZZw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyCRSZjtYBI&feature=related

HOLLYWOOD
02-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Jingoism has ruin the national pastime of 7th inning stretch at baseball games. "God Bless America" has replaced "Take Me Out To The Ballgame". Count on it never changing, especially at the World Series since FOX SPORTS runs the show. SO ready for more "God-loving-God-fearing-Patriotism".

Where's Rosanne Barr when you a song? ;)

For get the National Athem... what about the Weapons of Mass Destruction we fly over sporting events? What a joke @ this year's Super Bowl, the dome was closed and they still flew the killing machines over Cowboy Stadium.

Vessol
02-09-2011, 05:28 PM
I agree that it's stupid that they play the national anthem before sports, it's really annoying.

I'll go a step further and say that the whole idea of a national anthem is pretty fucking retarded. Nationalism at its best. Indoctrination at its worst.

AGRP
02-09-2011, 06:14 PM
This is funny because I CANNOT STAND watching a sporting event when they get patriotic. If anything, sports are un-patriotic. What better way to be patriotic than to spending time watching something so pointless. I have to temporarily change the channel if I happen to be watching when the anthem/GBA/etc comes up. Otherwise, I'll puke. :collins:

mczerone
02-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I read that earlier today - my biggest thought is how much more I like the comments here than those on the link. We have disagreement, but thoughtful responses. All the comments on the article's page were nationalist zealotry idolizing the flag and the song as symbols of "our troops" who gave their lives "protecting our freedom". :vomit:

Do I wish the anthem would go away? Yes. It should be a song played at state dinners, veteran's parties, and the Fourth of July. Events that already center on state worship.

Do I think that the NFL, etc. should stop playing it before games? No. I enjoy watching hockey, baseball, and some others, and I would like them to remain profitable. The fact is that their consumers are all part of this Statist cult that needs to exercise their call to prayer before they live vicariously through watching adult men play games. If they stopped doing the anthem, the revenue would suffer.

I reserve the right to not remove my hat and/or not stand. But I'm not going to pass a law saying stadiums can't perform the damned song.

Anti Federalist
08-13-2018, 08:32 PM
relevant bump

r3volution 3.0
08-13-2018, 09:03 PM
I don't care what they do, so long as they stop talking about it.

...stand for the anthem, don't, do an interpretive dance, blow your head off with a shotgun: no concern of mine.

Play ball!