PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Engineer complaint: "engineering-level work" by someone who's not a licensed engineer

unklejman
02-09-2011, 08:11 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/03/964781/citizen-activist-grates-on-state.html

Cox and his North Raleigh neighbors are lobbying city and state officials to add traffic signals at two intersections as part of a planned widening of Falls of Neuse Road.

After an engineering consultant hired by the city said that the signals were not needed, Cox and the North Raleigh Coalition of Homeowners' Associations responded with a sophisticated analysis of their own.

It did not persuade Kevin Lacy, chief traffic engineer for the state DOT, to change his mind about the project. Instead, Lacy called on a state licensing agency, the N.C. Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors, to investigate Cox.

Cox has not been accused of claiming that he is an engineer. But Lacy says he filed the complaint because the report "appears to be engineering-level work" by someone who is not licensed as a professional engineer.

I don't know why I'm surprised anymore, but this still boggled my mind.

libertarian4321
02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/03/964781/citizen-activist-grates-on-state.html

I don't know why I'm surprised anymore, but this still boggled my mind.

The state engineer is an idiot.

One does NOT need to be a PE to prepare "engineering-quality work." Non-licensed engineers (many degreed engineers never get licenses) do "engineering-quality work" all the time, as do other technical people who are not even degreed engineers.

Certain documents require a PE signature (I don't know if the document in question was one of them, I suspect it was not). All that means is that a PE has to sign the document, whether or not he actually did the work. Many other documents that are "engineering-quality work" do NOT require a PE stamp and can be prepared by anyone with the skills to do so.

As long as the citizen in question did not represent himself as a PE and did not sign/stamp the document as a PE, he has done nothing wrong. At most, the state can toss out the document IF a PE signature was required and was not present.

And yeah, this sounds like an attempt to quell free speech. My guess is, the citizen prepared quality work, the state engineer didn't have the skills to refute it, so he threw up some bogus charge to shut the citizen up.

Brian4Liberty
02-09-2011, 02:37 PM
The state engineer is an idiot.

One does NOT need to be a PE to prepare "engineering-quality work." Non-licensed engineers (many degreed engineers never get licenses) do "engineering-quality work" all the time, as do other technical people who are not even degreed engineers.

Certain documents require a PE signature (I don't know if the document in question was one of them, I suspect it was not). All that means is that a PE has to sign the document, whether or not he actually did the work. Many other documents that are "engineering-quality work" do NOT require a PE stamp and can be prepared by anyone with the skills to do so.

As long as the citizen in question did not represent himself as a PE and did not sign/stamp the document as a PE, he has done nothing wrong. At most, the state can toss out the document IF a PE signature was required and was not present.

And yeah, this sounds like an attempt to quell free speech. My guess is, the citizen prepared quality work, the state engineer didn't have the skills to refute it, so he threw up some bogus charge to shut the citizen up.

Your post is suspiciously well written. Is your NWU membership up to date? Please provide your member id number. ;)

Jack Bauer
02-09-2011, 03:55 PM
There was another thread dealing with the exact same thing.

Grubb556
02-09-2011, 04:01 PM
It really amazes me how Americans still develop all the latest technology despite all this inefficency and waste.

Anti Federalist
02-09-2011, 04:11 PM
There was another thread dealing with the exact same thing.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?278065-NC-Citizen-under-investigation-for-doing-math-without-a-license.&highlight=math+license

libertarian4321
02-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Your post is suspiciously well written. Is your NWU membership up to date? Please provide your member id number. ;)

Unions suck!