PDA

View Full Version : Hillary: Too Much $$ In Drugs To Leagalize Them

Matt Collins
02-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Hillary Clinton: We Can't Legalize Drugs Because 'There Is Just Too Much Money in It' (http://reason.com/blog/2011/02/07/hillary-clinton-we-cant-legali)

Jacob Sullum (http://reason.com/people/jacob-sullum) | February 7, 2011

SOURCE:

http://reason.com/blog/2011/02/07/hillary-clinton-we-cant-legali

Sola_Fide
02-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Great article.

sailingaway
02-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Uh, but there would be less money in drugs if they were legal. For example, marijuana is called weed for a reason. There was no restriction on it at all in the 30's, and it grew...as a weed.

Addictive drugs may be different, but when they don't distinguish they look like idiots.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-09-2011, 08:19 AM
I thought for a second that Hillary actually told the truth, but it turns out to not be so. Of course drugs will not be legal for a good long time because there is indeed too much $$ in it..for the Government. That is why police, bureaucrats, politicians, CIA, FBI, etc. are all in favor of keeping it illegal. They make a lot of money off it being illegal.

olehounddog
02-09-2011, 08:25 AM
My grandmother grew poppies when I was a kid about 4-5. She grew it as a flower but I can remember her words"lord youngin dont tell nobody, they'll lock us up".

fisharmor
02-09-2011, 08:26 AM
They make a lot of money off it being illegal.

Well, let's be fair.
The individuals don't make a lot of money. Above average, sure. But not a lot.
They make a living off of illegal drugs, and it's a good living. Better than I make in my honest job, anyway.

Drugs won't be made legal overnight, because there's an entire system built up around it. Too many people are involved. It's another thing that will have to be dismantled over time.
Unless of course you applied the Fisharmor brand miracle cure for government waste: just pay these people to stay home.
I'd happily pay income taxes for the next 20 years, if it meant that I'm paying these people to stay home, and nobody was getting hired to replace them.

Madly_Sane
02-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Better than I make in my honest job, anyway.
Define honest job. Also, define an unhonest job.

stuntman stoll
02-09-2011, 09:50 AM
there's too much money in cell phones. See how much money verizon and apple are making? We need to ban them and have a war on cell phones.

Madly_Sane
02-09-2011, 09:52 AM
there's too much money in cell phones. See how much money verizon and apple are making? We need to ban them and have a war on cell phones.

You should've done something other than cell phones, since cell phones use satellites. If someone put up illegal satellites, they would probably be shot down almost immediately.

specsaregood
02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Of course drugs will not be legal for a good long time because there is indeed too much $$ in it..for the Government.

For private enterprises as well. IIRC the clintons were/are heavily invested in privatized prisons.

noxagol
02-09-2011, 09:59 AM
For private enterprises as well. IIRC the clintons were/are heavily invested in privatized prisons.

And the drug trade itself.

specsaregood
02-09-2011, 10:06 AM
And the drug trade itself.

well, less officially. the investments on the other hand were public knowledge via disclosures.

TomtheTinker
02-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Better than I make in my honest job, anyway.

Are you implying that an illegal and unjust law on a good or service makes that good or service dishonest by default? Or am I misunderstanding the intention of your statement?

Too Much $$ In Drugs To Legalize Them

Besides all the obvious reasons this statement is illogical and/or dishonest...I or anybody could just as easily say there is to much money in pizza for it to be legal...or there is to much money in the shoe industry I think it should be shut down...

Basically what I'm saying if your going to disagree with the legalization of drugs thats one thing..but for a person that was a hop & a skip away from running this country thats awful reasoning.

Vessol
02-09-2011, 10:29 AM

I really have a hard time calling companies like that "private enterprise". They receive 100% of their business from the government. They are government employees and companies as far as I'm concerned.

Freedom 4 all
02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I really have a hard time calling companies like that "private enterprise". They receive 100% of their business from the government. They are government employees and companies as far as I'm concerned.

Wise man say: When your income is entirely in the form of stolen tax dollars, a private company you are not.

specsaregood
02-09-2011, 10:37 AM

I'm certainly not taking the opposite side of that debate.

dannno
02-09-2011, 10:43 AM
She should know, her law firm used to launder massive amounts of cocaine moneys when her husband was Governor of Arkansas.

DamianTV
02-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Thats right, if we legalize it, it wouldnt stimulate US business, now would it? We have to make sure that we get all our illegal drugs from Mexico! Oh yeah, and screw the tax revenue, screw teh cost of the inmates in jail for nothing more than having a joint, screw the American People, and most importantly, screw what the majority wants!

1000-points-of-fright
02-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I agree with this commenter...

The question was "legalize drug trafficking and consumption", and Clinton answered "decriminalize small amounts while keeping trafficking illegal".

She did in fact give the correct answer to the question that she answered, but not to the question she was asked.

Noob
02-09-2011, 05:35 PM
I wonder if her family makes money off from drugs. If you read the book TRANCE Formation of America, it does make you wonder.

tangent4ronpaul
02-09-2011, 05:46 PM
My grandmother grew poppies when I was a kid about 4-5. She grew it as a flower but I can remember her words"lord youngin dont tell nobody, they'll lock us up".

Growing poppies is perfectly legal in this country. My mom did it - perdy flowers! Lots of old folks do it. Now if you should happen to nick that poppy at a certain time in it's growing cycle and harvest the sap - well, that's a felony.

She is right about there being too much money in it. The border searches LEAVING the US are very tight. The US makes a LOT of money by seizing bales of cash headed south of the boarder.

-t

therepublic
02-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I think it may have been a "Freudian Slip" on Clinton's part. More accurate that there is too much profit in it for some of our politicians...why else would they imprison Ramos and Campion, free a well known drug lord, and then put a gag order on Ramos and Campion as a stipulation for their release? Much more to this story than we yet know.

Koz
02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Uh, but there would be less money in drugs if they were legal. For example, marijuana is called weed for a reason. There was no restriction on it at all in the 30's, and it grew...as a weed.

Addictive drugs may be different, but when they don't distinguish they look like idiots.

How about they are just idiots.